Drummer ad... What do you think?

Started by zachoff, December 30, 2011, 12:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cat shepard

That's a good ad. That hashbrown story is hilarious. What do you tune to? *disappears* classic

Harm

I like the add except the part about the gear your new drummer must posses before he can join in. I personally find that pretty insulting and not very smart from your end. I mean, like you stated yourself: drummers you are looking for are hard to find, so if you are lucky enough to find a drummer who fits the bill and you get along, the gear part is the least of your problem isn't it?

Just replace the kick and the snare and you will hear him.
More faithfulfew right here.

Discö Rice

I dunno, it's his ad. If dude wants a drummer that plays naked, or has a big nose, or has arms like a fiddler crab, it's his choice to make. I don't see anything wrong with specificity.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Harm

I certainly do, because it is not about gear but about skills.

neighbor664

I wouldn't go so far as stating the exact gear a prospective drummer should own. I would rather describe the sound that you are going for. Then simply state that "only candidates who posses the proper tools to do the job will be considered."

Hemisaurus

Quote from: cat shepard on December 30, 2011, 11:36:42 PM
That's a good ad. That hashbrown story is hilarious. What do you tune to? *disappears* classic
B I could handle Eb you can f*** right off. >:(

mortlock

the ad will weed out some undesirables but it could scare away exactly who you are looking for..id loosen the requirments on the gear..

zachoff

The gear isn't really a requirement though... More like a guideline.  A really strict guideline.  I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin' as some have said earlier.

It should read: "We have big amps and speakers and play really loud so if we can't hear your drums and/or you play kick snare blast beats you're not what we're looking for.  Also, it'd be rad if you could make the drums work without really playing beats."  I'm basically trying to say that as nicely as possible.

mawso

i think it's a cool ad

a good ad should turn some people off.. if they're not the right guy then it's better that they don't get in touch than that they do, and just waste everyone's time

Hemisaurus

Gear is just a bad idea, telling another musician what gear they have to have makes you sound like a prick. I wouldn't respond, even if I had the gear, and liked the sounds BUT the proof is in if he succesfully finds a drummer, so I guess we just wait.

I'm a big fan of people coming in, and rocking the most unexpected junky gear. The longest lasting drummer we had in one of my other bands came in and assembled a kit from the remnants of two junked kits in the practice space, and with a tuning key and duct tape, he made it sound good.

gatorsnot

FYI, big drums don't necessarily equate to loudness.

zachoff

Quote from: Harm on January 01, 2012, 03:52:29 PM

It's about both.  Showing up with a 100W 2x10 solid state combo and expecting to sound like a 300W tube stack isn't going to happen no matter what skills you have.

The notion of tone isn't relegated to guitar and bass and neither is the notion of cutting through.   In 6 months we've not had a guy try out that could cut through the mix with his bass drum aside from our old drummer (who had big drums).  A few of those guys had skills but still couldn't be heard.

Danny G

Approve.

Good ad. Said exactly what you were looking for and exactly what your goals were without any kind of bullshit. Good job, and good luck in yr search
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Discö Rice

Quote from: gatorsnot on January 02, 2012, 10:40:47 AM
FYI, big drums don't necessarily equate to loudness.

Correct, with the qualifier that the word "necessarily" is underscored, highlighted, italicized, and capitalized. You can't really say "high notes are louder than low notes." or vice versa.

RAGER

I would drop the specifics on the drums and just say "big drums and hard hitting are a must"  hardly anybody has a 26" kick.  Lots of guys have 24" kicks that's my preference and what I play.  And if they have 24 inchers they prolly have bigger toms.

My drummer plays a 22" kick and uses some Evans ring thing and is already heavy footed.  No problem hearing him over a cranked OR120 and a Boogie 400+
No Focus Pocus

Discö Rice

yeah. my kick drum is only 22" wide, but it's 32" long. sadly, I remain disqualified. :D

Hemisaurus

Quote from: RAGER on January 02, 2012, 12:56:19 PM
I would drop the specifics on the drums and just say "big drums and hard hitting are a must"  hardly anybody has a 26" kick. 
This ;D

hashbrowns

Quote from: cat shepard on December 30, 2011, 11:36:42 PM

Yeah dude he wasn't ready to hear that. I love the fact that he actually said he was up for anything before that LOL.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

ROWDYBEER

So here is what the add looks like meow. Is it any better? Mostly asking the guys who were offended by the original add.

After keeping our tryouts sort of open to different styles and stuff I guess we'll say exactly what we're looking for as not to waste anyone's time...

Someone with big drums that hits them hard and plays them like the 60s & 70s. Our old drummer had a kit w/ a 26" bass drum, 20", 18" and 16" toms, big/deep snare, big cymbals... Looking or something similar and someone with a Bonham sorta style that doesn't just play blast beats. Hopefully you get the picture. We've realized this is what we're used to, what we consider part of our "sound", and that we won't be truly happy until we find it. Probably not many out there that fit that bill but if you do, hit us up. You can listen to us at http://www.straightenthecrooked.com. Please send us examples of what you've done... mp3s, youtube, whatever's cool.

We're in our 30s with kids and jobs and stuff and not looking to tour or get signed or whatever... Just want to play shows around town every month or two and record something every year or two.

Beers,
STC

tags: stoner, doom, sludge, metal, drum, drummer

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Harm

Quote from: zachoff on January 02, 2012, 11:31:31 AM
It's about both.  Showing up with a 100W 2x10 solid state combo and expecting to sound like a 300W tube stack isn't going to happen no matter what skills you have.

The notion of tone isn't relegated to guitar and bass and neither is the notion of cutting through.   In 6 months we've not had a guy try out that could cut through the mix with his bass drum aside from our old drummer (who had big drums).  A few of those guys had skills but still couldn't be heard.
That's weird cause i can cut through the loudest music with a jazzkit.

zachoff

Quote from: Harm on January 02, 2012, 05:42:48 PM

Awesome.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Harm on January 02, 2012, 05:42:48 PM

::)

All unprovable boasting aside, the man knows what he wants. I don't understand why you're taking issue with it. Did you wanna try out for his band?

VOLVO)))

Whatever Gabe, you can't be in their band with your pencil dick drum kit.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

I know! I don't have the required girth! I'd come out their mouths without touching the sides!  :D

mortlock

Quote from: zachoff on January 01, 2012, 08:23:24 PM
The gear isn't really a requirement though... More like a guideline.  A really strict guideline.  I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin' as some have said earlier.

It should read: "We have big amps and speakers and play really loud so if we can't hear your drums and/or you play kick snare blast beats you're not what we're looking for.  Also, it'd be rad if you could make the drums work without really playing beats."  I'm basically trying to say that as nicely as possible.
make the drums work without playing beats..aaahhh, what you really are looking for is a jazz drummer or ginger baker or mitch mitchell..