Under Pressure with a Pressure Cooker - 15PSI bitches

Started by MadJohnShaft, January 03, 2012, 08:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

Oh yeah! Do you have one? Get one, a 7qt or bigger. $60 from Presto or a fancy I-talian one you can't go wrong.

I like it, 15 minutes excellent refried beans, from dried yo.

Yes!
Some days chickens, some days feathers

neighbor664

RAGER

Bout the only thing I use mine for is beans.  Although If not in a hurry I find that the old fashioned overnight soaking method makes beans less farty.

Something a lot of people don't know about beans. DO NOT SALT THEM UNTIL THEY ARE DONE COOKING!!!  Salting them while they cook makes them tough. 
No Focus Pocus

libertycaps

My last batch of Hoppin' John was the best so far this New Years. I'm an overnight bean soaker too. I'd like to get a pressure cooker soon for canning. I wanna do up a few quart jars of Mexican carrots and onions like you find in the local taquerias. Tasty and healthy side that goes with anything. Might only need to water bath those though. Not sure.

RAGER

Jalapenos y zanahorias en escabeche is what that is called.  I make that but never actually can it.  Just blanch and pickle in fridge with onions for a week or so.  I hate the kind where they use actual pickling spices.  ick
No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

mostly just use mine for beans as well. 8 hour soak + pressure.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

libertycaps

Quote from: RAGER on January 03, 2012, 03:57:05 PM
Jalapenos y zanahorias en escabeche is what that is called.  I make that but never actually can it.  Just blanch and pickle in fridge with onions for a week or so.  I hate the kind where they use actual pickling spices.  ick
Somehow i knew you'd know about that. I kinda like the pickling spice and bay leaf variety, but not too heavy with either, of course. Now that i know exactly what it's called, i'll look up some recipes. I kinda figured doing them in a boiling water bath then in the frig would be okay. I'll go thru them fast. Cheers, man!

MadJohnShaft

Pressure cooker junk Vegetable stew a big win!!!! 12+ ingredients or whatever I had on hand - homemade chicken stock - no stirring needed. Done in 5 minutes.

Fuck you and your sea level cooking - mine is Pressurized now.

NCR600

MadJohnShaft

I am looking forward to trying Stock - I got the thing because I caught the tail end of an Alton Brown on making beef stock in a pressure cooker.

I have a bag or two of bones, but we have a lot of beef stock in the freezer so once that gets used up a bit we will have ACTION.

NCR600

Got 4 chicken carcasses in the freezer. Sick of waiting 4 hours. Or 8 hours for beef.

RAGER

I like to make a lot of stock at one time so mine's not big enough.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

That's what she said.

Usually I make stock fairly concentrated anyway so winding up with less than 4 quarts is about right, maybe even a little high. I usually get enough to fill 4 ice cube trays and 3-4 sandwich bags.