Main Menu

Drummers Only

Started by Hemisaurus, January 03, 2012, 09:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose23

Quote from: neighbor664 on January 04, 2012, 10:26:14 AM
Judging from the replies from other folks the OP question has been perceived as:

Do you record with a click?

My response was not regarding the virtues of recording with a click. That is a whole other topic.
Great blog on that. http://musicmachinery.com/2010/02/08/revisiting-the-click-track

My response was to the idea of simply being able to play along to a click or a metronome.
Anyone who plays a musical instrument with any proficiency should be able to play in time to a mechanized pulse.

Such a great blog post that it needed posting twice. ;)

chlorpromazine

Quote from: neighbor664 on January 03, 2012, 10:32:56 PM
Then if you are not making a distinction my statement still holds.

A drummer who can not play to a metronome is no drummer at all. Simply just a guy who bangs on stuff repetitiously who may or may not own a drum kit.

My response was to the idea of simply being able to play along to a click or a metronome.
Anyone who plays a musical instrument with any proficiency should be able to play in time to a mechanized pulse.

gatorsnot

Ego might come in to play for some if asked to play with a click.  "What?!?!? My meter isn't good enough for you?!?!?" But I can tell when a drummer doesn't have a good internal pulse and it annoys me.  Being able to play with a click is a good skill to have. 

core9

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 03, 2012, 11:33:05 PM
As a bassplayer, I follow the drummer, I don't set the tempo, except when there is no drummer.
Quote from: gatorsnot on January 03, 2012, 11:21:32 PM
Ideally you should  be able to play(record) with a click and without.  Nothing but good will come from practicing, mostly, with a metronome.  And that goes for guitar players too.
...and either way I haven't met a guitar player yet that can keep a tempo without drums.

Well we haven't met in person, but I play guitar and when I drum I PREFER to play to a click, it really frees you up to do some really tricky shit, and long fills. 

I know so many drummers who can't, or are scared and intimidated by a click, I tell them it's their friend not enemy......

My favorite is when I am engineering/producing a band and the drummer is telling me that the click is speeding up/slowing down! ::)

Discö Rice

Bleh. I'd rather hear a band that plays tight with each other moving organically around tempo-wise, than a band that records exclusively to a click and really sounds like it.

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Harm

Quote from: core9 on January 04, 2012, 11:52:39 AM
My favorite is when I am engineering/producing a band and the drummer is telling me that the click is speeding up/slowing down! ::)
If he says it's slowing down he's probably into speed metal!  ;D
More faithfulfew right here.

Harm

Quote from: Discö Rice on January 04, 2012, 01:36:17 PM
Bleh. I'd rather hear a band that plays tight with each other moving organically around tempo-wise, than a band that records exclusively to a click and really sounds like it.
I agree and when you lay the drums to a live track clicks aren't needed, the music is the click and when the click is there it is all good!

Actually, this is needed to determine if there is a real click.
More faithfulfew right here.

jibberish

i SWEAR my alesis drum machine speeds up and slows down.

hahahaa.   no shit, practicing to a metronome is tough and i believe worthwhile, so i do it a lot.

if i am going to get messed up, it is in the little fill between phrases, like right before the next verse or whatever and man having the beats forced in really helps me time that right. often i lose or gain 1 beat and that is bogus to get off phrase. basically wrecks the song.

VOLVO)))

We just feel it out, I'm not even sure if I can properly count time hahaha.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hashbrowns

I remember reading somewhere that brann dailor uses a blinking light on his rack instead of a click in his ears. This lets him give the song life and swing but still can let him know if they're speeding up too much cause a lot of mastodons music is just on the verge of speed metal and if sped up would lose it's groove. I thought that was a pretty cool compromise between the two schools of thought here. Anyone ever try this? I'm thinking about to trying to rig something up like that.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

core9

If done correctly that sterile rigidity is non-existent.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying YOU HAVE to use a click, but as a drummer it really actually helps you to groove more if that makes any sense.

Quote from: hashbrowns on January 04, 2012, 02:44:26 PM
I remember reading somewhere that brann dailor uses a blinking light on his rack instead of a click in his ears. This lets him give the song life and swing but still can let him know if they're speeding up too much cause a lot of mastodons music is just on the verge of speed metal and if sped up would lose it's groove. I thought that was a pretty cool compromise between the two schools of thought here. Anyone ever try this? I'm thinking about to trying to rig something up like that.

I have never heard of that before.....seems pretty cool though.

Hemisaurus

weird, I have a strobe light in the jam room for exactly that purpose, I didn't want the mic's picking up any click.

Discö Rice

Quote from: core9 on January 04, 2012, 02:56:16 PM
If done correctly that sterile rigidity is non-existent.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying YOU HAVE to use a click, but as a drummer it really actually helps you to groove more if that makes any sense.
fixed.
It doesn't help me groove more. I have good meter and I'm tight with my band. That doesn't mean it won't help you, I just find it distracting.

Hemisaurus

hardest part for me, as a non-drummer, was figuring out the tempo to set the metronome / drum machine to. i found a tap tempo app on the iPad, that tells you the tempo you tap at, and life is much easier, but it also surprised me what tempo I was tapping at vs. what tempo I thought songs were at, no wonder I had issue with the drum machine.

jibberish

the most fun for me is getting the delay time and the drum machine time even with each other

by fun i mean "way more tweaking needed than it should have been"

clockwork green

Judging from the replies from other folks the OP question has been perceived as:

My response was not regarding the virtues of recording with a click. That is a whole other topic.
Great blog on that. http://musicmachinery.com/2010/02/08/revisiting-the-click-track

Didn't you guys have some issue (was this why he was fired) with Ben for not wanting to play to a click back in the weevil days?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

Quote from: jibberish on January 04, 2012, 03:51:51 PM
the most fun for me is getting the delay time and the drum machine time even with each other

by fun i mean "way more tweaking needed than it should have been"
That's why digital delays with analog controls are so much fun ;D

franksnbeans

Guitar players should learn how to use metronomes too.

Discö Rice

Quote from: clockwork green on January 04, 2012, 03:56:21 PM

Didn't you guys have some issue (was this why he was fired) with Ben for not wanting to play to a click back in the weevil days?

Quote from: franksnbeans on January 04, 2012, 04:40:12 PM

Shitstorm a-brewin'.

hashbrowns

I can from my days playing speed metal.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

Metal and Beer

"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

RacerX

Nope. Even if they can play to a click track, Metro Gnomes are complete douchebags. Rural/Suburban Gnomes rule.
Livin' The Life.

Discö Rice

Quote from: RacerX on January 04, 2012, 05:11:04 PM

Nope. Even if they can play to a click track, Metro Gnomes are complete douchebags. Rural/Suburban Gnomes rule.
I see what you did there.

neighbor664

Guitar players All musicians should learn how to use metronomes too.

fixed it for you