Main Menu

I'm a...

Started by Hemisaurus, January 05, 2012, 05:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neighbor664

I aspire to just be a well rounded musician, not a just a guitarist.

The instrument I am most proficient at and have been playing the longest is guitar. Electric, acoustic, lap-steel and many different turnings. I also play bass as a bassist would, not like a guitar with big strings.

Along the way I've dabbled with many stringed instruments, if it has strings I can make music on it.
Not as good as those who mainly play that instrument, but enough to amuse myself.
If I could play violin like I do guitar I'd be ecstatic.

I am also a singer, and I find that my greatest joy these days comes from singing. These days I primarily am interested in focusing on singing. Those that know me from my old band only got to hear the shouty metal vocals, but trust me I can do way more than that.

I have rudimentary skill on the keyboard and can fake it ok for blues in C and  basic "padding." My left hand sucks though. Some how I aced my piano courses. I still don't know how I did it.

My knowledge of drums far exceeds my physical ability to actually play more than basic beats. Poorly.
I've worked with many amazing, very technical drummers and know enough to be able to convey ideas and comprehend more complex rhythmic concepts.

The only wind instrument I can play is harmonica. Poorly. I've tried sax, trumpet and flute with nothing but
awful results. Brass and reads are like musical Kryptonite to me.

Any object that makes noise is a possible instrument. There is music everywhere. I'd love to jam using only crib toys and found objects. Massive respect for folks who invent their own instruments.
Ultimately, I consider the brain the coolest instrument of all.

Discö Rice

The vast majority of my time performing and recording has been spent behind a drumkit. I deeply love playing guitar, and as soon as I re-equip myself, I hope to start a project doing that very thing. I also play bass, keys, and although I'm really god damned rusty, at one time I was a passable harmonica player. The band I'm in now is the first one I've ever done any singing in.

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

neighbor664

^yeah you should hear my tampon solo.

Ayek

I play bass and then vocalise. Kinda shit at everything else, but sometimes I try

Lumpy

I like pie. All kinds of pie.

I wish I could play the drums, but I'm too uncoordinated. If there were 48 hours in a day/unlimited resources, I would take drum lessons.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

mortlock

i voted bass but im really currently only doing electronics..theres a new mother nature taking over..

moose23

Bass is my main instrument by a long shot. I also play passable guitar but would find it tough to play a gig on it, band practices would probably get me gig worthy if I were to actually play guitar in a band

Also do vocals and electronics in gigging bands. Dunno how good I am at either but I'm getting away with it.  :)

The Riffer

In my imagination I am guitarist, in my band I am a bassist. In my dreams I am a communist, in my prayers I am an atheist. Mainly I am a pissed ist.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

I,Galactus

Voted guitarist, as that's been my primary role in a riffrock context.

If I were better at it and/or more disciplined, I'd consider myself a pianist too. (always pronounced to rhyme with penis not pee-ANN-ist, because I too am sophomoric and puerile).
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

clockwork green

I'm a mentalist, just sitting here making a song in my head...you guys couldn't handle how amazing it is.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Worthless Willie

What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

jibberish

dear op,

please edit one more poll choice in:

hack of all trades (or jackoff i guess works too heh), and master of none

kthxbai

inductorguitars

Quote from: neighbor664 on January 06, 2012, 12:37:47 AM
^yeah you should hear my tampon solo.

Team up with Sunn he plays a mean skin flute/Rusty Trombone.  ;D

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

You better believe WW is the best analrapist around... mmmmm

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 06, 2012, 05:46:12 PM
You better believe WW is the best analrapist around... mmmmm

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

yup... his playng is deep, penetrating,  and he can hit those brown notes

Metal and Beer

Yeah but can he play the skin flute, mouth organ AND ball sax ?

I can fool non-musicians into thinking I can play mandolin, banjo, steel, dobro, dulcimer and strings (fiddle, cello, etc) but "real" players of those could easily tell I was a guitarist just getting a few semi-sweet notes out of them   :P
   I also transposed my guitar knowledge, such as it was, to the piano so I can play all the basic major chords and such, it's a lovely instrument and I'm eager to get a real piano again (they pop up on CL here with amazing frequency/low-cost). I can't sing sweetly but I can holler/rage a bit...hell in this scene who can't, right ?
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Jor el

Can you play "November Rain" ?
What Would Scooby Do ?

black

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Chovie D

Quote from: Metal and Beer on January 06, 2012, 06:04:05 PM
Yeah but can he play the skin flute, mouth organ AND ball sax ?

I can fool non-musicians into thinking I can play mandolin, banjo, steel, dobro, dulcimer and strings (fiddle, cello, etc) but "real" players of those could easily tell I was a guitarist just getting a few semi-sweet notes out of them   :P

same here. sometimes i go try and run with the big dogs and get my ass handed to me.

Ayek

Quote from: Metal and Beer on January 06, 2012, 06:04:05 PM
I'm eager to get a real piano again (they pop up on CL here with amazing frequency/low-cost).

Most o the time people want to get rid of them, but can't be fucked trying to shift it themselves. That's how I got mine.

Metal and Beer

Quote from: Jor el on January 06, 2012, 06:40:29 PM

Can you play "November Rain" ?

Only if there's a sweet lass in the room who says "OMG I love that song sooooo much!!"   ;)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"