Main Menu

curly instrument cables

Started by bbottom, January 13, 2012, 12:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

Do any of you guys use them? When I first started playing guitar when I was like 15 I used one but haven't since.
I've been thinking about picking one up for the nostalgia factor. 

neighbor664

spookstrickland

I love them.  I need to get a new one.  Best thing about them if you step on them while you are playing you do not yank your guitar out of your hands.  I also like the tone they produce.  Some hate it them, I love them.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

The Riffer

Yeah man, I'm in the love corner here.Using a Lava Retro coil and a Lava Morph coil right now. RA>Straight is my preference.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

The Shocker

I like em and don't care if they cut some of the highs.

johnny problem

I own a couple Vox curly cables.  I don't really care about the curl, mostly wanted cables with gold inputs.  On the added plus side, these things don't tangle (which in my opinion adds to a longer shelf life for the cable itself).

Instant Dan

Those Vox and Bullet cables are awesome.

grimniggzy

Yup, I've used them for a couple years now. R/A>Straight as well. Makes it pretty easy since I can just throw everything in my pedalboard case and roll.

justinhedrick

Quote from: deaner33 on January 13, 2012, 07:59:15 AM

is this true?

grimniggzy

Quote from: justinhedrick on January 13, 2012, 09:25:33 AM
Quote from: deaner33 on January 13, 2012, 07:59:15 AM

is this true?

Thats what they say. I think it's mainly the older ones but may be true about all of them.

Pundan

I use one, the Fender KoilKords. It's cheap and does the job, also this one's pretty long too. Can't say that I notice any loss of highs either.

Jake

I love em. Love the look, feel, and the ease of a rather long cable snapping back into a relatively short & manageble size.

I don't notice any signal loss in any part of the spectrum. Recommended to anyone who doesn't mind dropping close to $50 on a cable.

http://www.bulletcable.com/bullet-cable-shop/vintage-retro-30-coil-cable/
poop.

grimniggzy

I've been thinking about dropping the loot on a Bullet or Lava cable. Been wanting to update from my $10 Radio Shack coily's. Think I'll try a Bullet first since they're a little more affordable and have a clear one.

rayinreverse

Seems funny that a bunch of dudes obsessed with true bypass to preserve their precious tone would actually intentionally slap more copper in their signal chain.
A 10 ft coily has more wire that a 10 ft straight.
I've had the same 25 ft straight cable for 5 years. Just take care of them and they won't tangle or die.

justinhedrick

Quote from: grimniggzy on January 13, 2012, 10:09:13 AM
I've been thinking about dropping the loot on a Bullet or Lava cable. Been wanting to update from my $10 Radio Shack coily's. Think I'll try a Bullet first since they're a little more affordable and have a clear one.

i have a $10 radio shack cord that i've had since i was 15. i'm 29 now.

grimniggzy

Quote from: justinhedrick on January 13, 2012, 10:44:03 AM
Quote from: grimniggzy on January 13, 2012, 10:09:13 AM

i have a $10 radio shack cord that i've had since i was 15. i'm 29 now.

Not gonna lie, mine have done a helluva job for quite a few years now.

Quote from: rayinreverse on January 13, 2012, 10:40:58 AM
Seems funny that a bunch of dudes obsessed with true bypass to preserve their precious tone would actually intentionally slap more copper in their signal chain.
A 10 ft coily has more wire that a 10 ft straight.
I've had the same 25 ft straight cable for 5 years. Just take care of them and they won't tangle or die.

I'm certainly not stuck up on true bypass. I don't really notice any difference in my sound with a straight vs. a coily. I've also got a few buffered bypass pedals on my board. So it doesn't really bother me either way.

Chovie D

the curly cable was supposedly an important part of Hendrix's tone....supposedly. ::)

I dont like them myself because I like for the cable to rest on the gorund out of my way as much as possible and even the long curly cables seem to make a 45 degree angle line from the input to your guitar. i feel like I'm teathered to my pedalboard or amp whn I use one. Like If I walk too far away it might yank me back.

bitter

Quote from: Chovie D on January 13, 2012, 12:42:30 PM
the curly cable was supposedly an important part of Hendrix's tone....supposedly. ::)

I dont like them myself because I like for the cable to rest on the gorund out of my way as much as possible and even the long curly cables seem to make a 45 degree angle line from the input to your guitar. i feel like I'm teathered to my pedalboard or amp whn I use one. Like If I walk too far away it might yank me back.

Yeah I know what you mean. I always think of this video by screamingdaisy, who if I'm not mistaken doesn't post on here anymore. Has the look like you could pull that amp straight off the cab.

I have come close to buying some lava cables but my garage is gross and they'd be harder to wipe down if'n I wanted to bring them inside to record with.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

grimniggzy

Yup, they say the cables tamed Jimi's pickups.

SpaceTrucker

I think it has to do with the lower gauge braided wire and more of it in the cable causes like impedence in the signal effecting the frequency response. although most posted on here look like the only difference is more wire not different types of wire. And all you need is a thin wire and a pipe to make a coiled cable.

Chovie D

Quote from: bitter on January 13, 2012, 01:02:13 PM
Quote from: Chovie D on January 13, 2012, 12:42:30 PM

Yeah I know what you mean. I always think of this video by screamingdaisy, who if I'm not mistaken doesn't post on here anymore. Has the look like you could pull that amp straight off the cab.

I have come close to buying some lava cables but my garage is gross and they'd be harder to wipe down if'n I wanted to bring them inside to record with.

totally or yank your effects pedal half way acroos the room like some boomerang action. The only big muff I wanna see flying at me  is yo mamas. Plus despite what people say aboot them not tangling, for me they are always the tangliest motherfuckers oot there. When I worked front of house sound I learned how to quickly coil (hold plug in left hand and extend left arm, coil clockwise with right hand in even loops throwing the excess in front of you with each coil) and uncoil (throw it like a lariat) cables , so i guess I dont see the advantage in a curly cable as it pertains to quickly coiling it up. straight cable is so much easier for me to handle. curly just ends up in a big tangled curly ball.

bitter

Quote from: Chovie D on January 13, 2012, 01:43:05 PM

totally or yank your effects pedal half way acroos the room like some boomerang action. The only big muff I wanna see flying at me  is yo mamas.

:D :D :D

They still look cool and I'd like to have one someday should ladies come around.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

kirky

nevermind...

Pissy

I was told at one point that a curly cable is made curly by wrapping it around a rod of some sort, then applying heat.  Like from a heat gun.  Then let it cool while still wrapped around said rod.

Someone should try this out with one of their cords and a broomstick, then report.
Vinyls.   deal.

grimniggzy

Quote from: Pissy on January 19, 2012, 10:18:32 PM
I was told at one point that a curly cable is made curly by wrapping it around a rod of some sort, then applying heat.  Like from a heat gun.  Then let it cool while still wrapped around said rod.

Someone should try this out with one of their cords and a broomstick, then report.

Apparently this is how it's done. Pretty sure you have to use a metal rod though.
I just made my 1st batch of patch cables and I think I'll probably try this at some point just to see if it works.
I'll post pics when it happens.