Why do Les Paul jrs cost so much?

Started by bbottom, January 15, 2012, 02:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

Their really isn't much to them yet you can't find a new one for less than $800.

clockwork green

I guess suggesting a Collins is out then. I got lucky and got mine on a MusiciansFriend blowout sale for $550 new. There is really something special from guitars that simple. If you really think it's the guitar for you, don't let money get in the way.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

VOLVO)))

I like dem dere reach around bridges!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Gibson prices are all out of whack.  Melody Makers are around $500.  Guess I'll post this baby again:

Best $150 Guitar evah!

Baltar

Because Gibson is run by capitalist pigs.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Ranbat

Because Henry Juszkiewicz, Gibson CEO, wants you to have a better perceived value of your instrument.
Meh :/

inductorguitars

justinhedrick

Quote from: deaner33 on January 15, 2012, 08:54:02 AM
Gibson prices are all out of whack.  Melody Makers are around $500.  Guess I'll post this baby again:

Best $150 Guitar evah!

deaner, what's underneath that pick guard? any routes or anything?

VOLVO)))

That's a cute guitar....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Quote from: justinhedrick on January 16, 2012, 04:41:48 PM

Best $150 Guitar evah!

I don't recall any routes, but I'll check this evening.

Aww Sunn, thanks.  You know I'll send it to you at some point so you can play with it.

Chovie D

I dunno. The vintage ones seem to be relatively cheap.
Right now I know where I can buy a 1965 Gibson Melody maker for $800. a 60's gibson for $800....wowza!

same with starts. i can buy a 70's strat for about $1200 or i could buy a new replica of a seventies strat for $1400..doesnt make any sense does it?

Jake

Yeah, but...

Melody Maker is not really a Les Paul Jr.

I'd venture to reason the Melody Makers are not as expensive is because they're less desireable instruments in the marketplace.
poop.

RacerX

Quote from: deaner33 on January 17, 2012, 09:40:36 AM
Quote from: justinhedrick on January 16, 2012, 04:41:48 PM

Best $150 Guitar evah!

I don't recall any routes, but I'll check this evening.

Aww Sunn, thanks.  You know I'll send it to you at some point so you can play with it.

You fools talkin' 'bowt "routs" or "routes"?
Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

I went up Route 66 to get a new bit for my router to route out a cable channel for my router. ;D

Chovie D

Quote from: Jake on January 17, 2012, 04:30:34 PM
Yeah, but...

I'd venture to reason the Melody Makers are not as expensive is because they're less desireable instruments in the marketplace.

for sure! but even the Paul Jrs I see , the creamy old vintage jammies are reasonable..like $1K or so.

was in a band with a guy with a newer Jr. and man i gotta say it was a really nice guitar. no clue what he paid but it couldnt have been much as he was a cheap unemployed  thrifty kinda guy.

RacerX

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 17, 2012, 05:09:45 PM
I went up Route 66 to get a new bit for my router to route out a cable channel for my router. ;D

Nah, that's where you're wrong: A router (the woodworking tool) "routs"; it does not "route". A wireless router (PC/modem connection) routes.

Livin' The Life.

Volume

Yeah, but...

I love this guitar. It's the cheapest guitar I've bought and it's been my main recording guitar for two albums.

It's a Melody Maker, but the guy I bought it from modified it to look more like a Jr.

Hemisaurus

Yeah, but...

Whats the diff? I see Gibson make Melody Makers in all their shapes for about $500. Can't you just add a second pickup?

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 19, 2012, 04:01:36 AM
Yeah, but...

Whats the diff? I see Gibson make Melody Makers in all their shapes for about $500. Can't you just add a second pickup?

it's the body of standard melody maker thinner? i personally like melody makers for their "cobbled up in wood shop" look.

Hemisaurus

Dunno, that's why I asked, I thought the Melody Maker was the Jr :-\

The Shocker

The headstocks are different.  Anything else.  ???

Haven't had a chance to look under the pickguard on my SG JR copy.  Will get to it at some point...

liquidsmoke

Epi Paul Jrs cost almost nothing  ;D

On that note, although I should just replace mine with a higher quality instrument, who makes the cheapest usable replacement bridge with individually adjustable saddles for intonation? Mine is never properly intonated. The 2 screws do not cut it.

neighbor664

o

clockwork green

Saw this today.  AXL is the Chinese company that bought out VHT...but for $500 you get a LP jr with a Fralin pickup, TonePro's bridge, and assembled in the US (odd choice of Hayward).
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"