Prometheus

Started by Beerjerk, January 16, 2012, 11:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narco Pollo

Yeah, the music was too sentimental and sad.  I felt like it was trying to make me cry, not scare me.  Same with the main actress, every time she did that dreamy stare off into space crap it made me want to punch her.  It was like a fucking Zoloft commercial.

However, I read your reviews on here first, so my expectations were lowered, and I think that helped me enjoy it.

I also agree with Bolt that they needed to slow it down in spots.  It had a nice brisk flow that kept it from getting boring, but it also kept anything from sinking in.

Worth seeing in the theater for the visuals.  It will not blow your mind.  Good summer flick, not great art.

*Edit
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Alien Resurrection or any of the AVP atrocities, but like most sequels, not as good as the first.
Drug Chicken

Narco Pollo

SPOILER ALERT

That the space jockeys were just kind of big albinos with no clear motive was such a let down, and pretty much the downfall of the movie.  WTF?

/end spoiler.
Drug Chicken

Jor el

I thought you were gonna tell us that one of the crew members was a robot.
What Would Scooby Do ?

Narco Pollo

Quote from: Jor el on June 10, 2012, 02:15:15 PMI thought you were gonna tell us that one of the crew members was a robot.

Charlize Theron wasn't THAT bad.

Yeah, I went there.
Drug Chicken

retardgroove

a mess. They even tried to introduce zombies.

boltthrow

MORE SPOILERS...

Several of my biggest questions:

1)  That self-operating medical pod that Shaw birthed the little squid in was "male only"?  Really?  It's so advanced but can't have a little more software to accommodate female surgical procedures?

2)  Old man Guy Pearce didn't know daughter Charlize was onboard until he woke up in the third act?  Really?

3)  Most of the crew had never met/didn't know what the mission was until they woke up?  Really?

3)  The rooster-haired geologist and his buddy wanted to go back to the ship but lost their way and stayed inside the alien mountain and never made it back to the Prometheus without anyone knowing?  Really?  They were in contact with the ship the whole time because after the storm hit the captain told 'em to stay put til morning.

4)  The Captain was playing a fucking squeezebox?  Used to belong to Stephen Stills?  Really?  And guess what?  He and Charlize went off and fucked just so no one was watching the hologram to see what was going on in Alien Mountain!

5)  What was the difference between the room with the huge head and upright "vases" and the "storage room" with thousands of more stacked vases?  

6)  What exactly were the holograms of the engineers running around?  Just an easy way for David to watch them and then figure out how fly the ship later?

7)  David knocked out Shaw on the medlab table after diagnosing her pregnancy but then left so two other people could come and move her to the cryo chamber (giving her the chance to knock them out and run to surgery pod?  Really?

8)  Shaw and her husband (boyfriend?) were so into finding these aliens but the moment they find them, she keeps investigating but he goes off and starts drinking?

9)  It seemed like David's mission was the get things ready for Guy Pearce and his meeting with the engineers.  So what was the point of infecting Shaw's husband? 

10)  At the end, the big alien ship flew up into the sky, Prometheus rammed into it causing it to crash and fall -- and yet David's head stayed pretty much the exact same place in the jockey chamber after the crash when he started talking to Shaw?  

Narco Pollo

Quote from: retardgroove on June 10, 2012, 04:13:12 PM
a mess. They even tried to introduce zombies.

That too.

The more I think of it the worse it gets.  I still had fun, but way not what I wanted or expected.

I agree with all Bolt's questions, except #6 which I assumed was some sort of "black box" playback that showed how each of the Space Jockey's died.  But that was just an inference on my part.
Drug Chicken

mortlock

you can make any movie suck if you want to ask the hard questions.

HORNS

Quote from: boltthrow on June 10, 2012, 04:39:45 PM

8)  Shaw and her husband (boyfriend?) were so into finding these aliens but the moment they find them, she keeps investigating but he goes off and starts drinking?

SPOILERS

That dude was so horribly miscast... Its the worst job of casting I can think of. Seriously. Its worse than Seth Rogan as the Green Hornet.

If he was an older man it would have made so many of the relationships between the characters so much more intriguing. The conversation of her not being able to have kids even - you would be wondering if it was her, or if it was him.
Him going off drinking when they got back from the ship because he was despondent about feeling as if he had wasted all those years of research - yeah that angle would have had a little more resonance if he didn't look like a 26 year old Calvin Klein underwear model.
It would just make sense that she would have a father figure in her life after they revealed her history with her father. Wouldn't that be a nice dash opf reason to this stupid movie?

And the real bummer about this crappy movie is this:

'Prometheus' vs. 'At the Mountains of Madness': How Ridley Scott's 'Alien' prequel killed Guillermo del Toro's dream project
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/06/10/prometheus-ridley-scott-guillermo-del-toro-lovecraft/

boltthrow

Quote from: mortlock on June 10, 2012, 11:38:08 PM

Those aren't hard questions, they're Questions About Things That Could Have Easily Been Done Differently And Not Ruined The Suspension Of Disbelief.

Here's another one:  was it necessary to not only have her unable to have kids but ALSO have her Dad (TV's former A Gifted Man, Patrick Wilson) die of Ebola?  It's kind of redundant (and confusing) motivation for her quest.  They made more of the latter (her desire to believe in a Higher Power) being her "drive to discover" (kind of a rip from "Contact") but the former seems like it'd be a helluva lot more emotionally powerful and yet it was just kind of tossed in there as a plot point to get to the confusion about her being pregnant.   

And let's get back to Noomi Rapace's face.  She looked great (and young) in Dragon Tattoo from only a few years back.  Now she looks like a botoxed 40 year old Mom.  What the hell happened to her?

HORNS

Oh, thats where our rivers part my friend.

I think she's a honey.

James1214

for whatever its worth I went into it with low-ish expectations, having only seen the trailer and reading nothing about it beforehand, and I enjoyed the fuck out of it. it wasn't a deep allegorical or philosophical film, but I don't think that's what it was supposed to be. it was a decently written and performed eyegasmic science fiction flick imo
words

boltthrow

Yeah but you're a gaywad.

Jor el

That helmet with the light-up visor looked like a prop from Walt Disney's "The Black Hole."
What Would Scooby Do ?

mortlock

Quote from: boltthrow on June 11, 2012, 10:20:45 AM
Quote from: mortlock on June 10, 2012, 11:38:08 PM

Those aren't hard questions, they're Questions About Things That Could Have Easily Been Done Differently And Not Ruined The Suspension Of Disbelief.

Here's another one:  was it necessary to not only have her unable to have kids but ALSO have her Dad (TV's former A Gifted Man, Patrick Wilson) die of Ebola?  It's kind of redundant (and confusing) motivation for her quest.  They made more of the latter (her desire to believe in a Higher Power) being her "drive to discover" (kind of a rip from "Contact") but the former seems like it'd be a helluva lot more emotionally powerful and yet it was just kind of tossed in there as a plot point to get to the confusion about her being pregnant.   

And let's get back to Noomi Rapace's face.  She looked great (and young) in Dragon Tattoo from only a few years back.  Now she looks like a botoxed 40 year old Mom.  What the hell happened to her?
i dont know, but i did notice there was a few good foot fetish shots of her feet..especially the soles..dont think that was random..

boltthrow

Here's a way to ruin the movie totally:  when you see Guy Pearce, try not to think of old Biff in "Back To The Future II."

HORNS

I kept thinking he was going to light up like Lo Pan....

Jor el

Just saw a Coors lite / Prometheus commercial.

wtf?
What Would Scooby Do ?

deleted account

"And hey, guess what?  Guy Pearce as a super old guy looked about as convincing (as virtually every other old age makeup out there) as James Caan and Bette Midler in "For The Boys"!"

I kept thinking of Johnny Knoxville.

as for the zombie dude, I was thinking it was like zombie-fied victims in The Thing.  like the alien was adapting so as not to just kill off and waste the host body.

so what's up with the dude at the beginning?  was he rebelling against the engineers and sacrificing himself to create the primordial alien soup that would potentially infect everyone?

GodShifter

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so there's a few things I didn't understand about this movie.

SPOILERS

Firstly, yeah, what's with the guy drinking whatever that shit is and then freaking out and the subsequent metamorphosis before he falls into the waterfall? What was the point of that? He falls into water. Wouldn't whatever effect he hoped to accomplish be diluted and/or negated by falling into the waterfall?

Secondly, there is an allusion made in the movie (or somewhere) that the synthetic "David" somehow infected what's his face that Charlize Theron uses the flame thrower on. Where does he do that? I missed that, I guess.

Thirdly, and most confusing to me, this planet is the planet where the first alien is found in the first movie, right? So the distress beacon that wakes up the crew of the ship from the first movie is from the ship that crashes due to Prometheus? If I'm right about that, then, as I recall, when the crew goes out to explore the ship in the first movie and enter the chamber where John Hurt ultimately gets the creature attached to his face. In that chamber, there is one of the "engineers" sitting in the very same seat that the engineer sits in to launch the craft in Prometheus. Is that supposed to be the same engineer in Alien? If so, how? The alien is birthed in Prometheus after the struggle between the engineer and whatever the hell that thing is. Yet, in Alien, the engineer is in the chair and it's obvious that something has broken out of its crib cage in the chair. That doesn't fit. What gives? Is it a different engineer entirely? A different planet? A different ship on the same planet?

Jor el

Different ship - same planet
What Would Scooby Do ?

deleted account

"Secondly, there is an allusion made in the movie (or somewhere) that the synthetic "David" somehow infected what's his face that Charlize Theron uses the flame thrower on. Where does he do that? I missed that, I guess."

David's back at the ship and "curious" about the alien fluid sample he took from alien mountain and puts some on his finger.  when he catches up with what's his face while what's his face is alone drinking, David asks him what he'd be willing to do to find out about the life forms they found (or something to that effect).  what's his face answers "anything", and just before David hands him a drink he dips his pinky into the drink and instant alien roofie

GodShifter

Ah ha! See, I totally missed that.

Thanks, priesty!

GodShifter

Quote from: Jor el on June 14, 2012, 04:23:04 PM

Different ship - same planet

Which would imply more than just one "engineer" was still alive and in suspended animation. I see.

Jor el

Last weekend I was at a Wedding reception where the server did the DNA dip type dealio with the water pitcher.
Apparently it's easier to carry the pitcher by the spout.
What Would Scooby Do ?