Main Menu

Lesson time, Kids!

Started by VOLVO))), January 22, 2012, 11:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

http://www.utwired.engr.utexas.edu/rgd1/lesson02.cfm

If you're bored, and want to learn about something interesting/helpful, do this shit! I'm workin' on it right now. It's no substitute for school, but it'll definitely get your chops up...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bass sic

Hemisaurus

solve the 1 ohm resistor mesh ;D

VOLVO)))

hahaha, Still, I'm not doing bad. I'll redo each module until I understand it. /tired of being a loser

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

that makes perfect sense for some reason..

VOLVO)))

Quote from: mortlock on January 22, 2012, 11:54:19 PM
that makes perfect sense for some reason..

No pressure, self-directed learning is the way to go... too bad I'm so bad at math it's depressing.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

hey sunno, here's a math tip for story problems (ALL of EE is story problems) this tip got me through heinous 400 level problems where i really didn't have the whole picture.
but i collected units and built equations from the units until the result was the right units i was looking for. the numbers just followed along. 

the joules, coulomb crap in those lessons reminded me about that.

it helps with % problems and speed/time/mass problems etc.

as an example i'll do some distance time deal.  i want feet per second velocity as my answer. i have 3 meters distance and 20 minutes time, wtf is feet per second?  well you get your conversion equations lined up with the correct combo of units to cancel until you end up with desired result.

well conversions are 1f/.3meter(go with this rough number) and 1minute/60seconds

so i set up like i want to cancel. start->3m/20min then apply conversion equations until you have desired units
so...3m/20min X 1ft/.3m =3ft/6min..or 1ft/2min. the meters are gone but i still want seconds as my time unit so apply the next conversion:  1ft/2min x 1min/60sec = 1ft/120sec..but i only want "per second" not per 120seconds SO...use a discreet conversion of dividing both top and bottom by 120 and you get w/e 0.08ft/sec

all that pico and nano etc makes good use of conversions even tho they are just 10*3  conversions, it still keeps you sorted out through the problem

the numbers are actually secondary. it's the units that define the equation makeup. so now when you are faced with ohms and current, you can get watts or volts by applying conversions and ohm's law. just know exactly WHERE you are headed and flip conversions until the units cancel out correctly. hth, it saved my ass in school.

jibberish

my favorite thing on that goofy schematic is the "666 timer" bwahahaa

VOLVO)))

I'm just going to redo the lessons until I know exactly what I'm doing, all the conversions are going to be difficult to memorize. I'm just taking repetitious notes throughout to pound it in. I had no motivation in school, I don't know why I'm motivated to do this now. I have a feeling if I actually went to school for it, I wouldn't be motivated, again...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 23, 2012, 01:44:15 PM
I'm just going to redo the lessons until I know exactly what I'm doing, all the conversions are going to be difficult to memorize. I'm just taking repetitious notes throughout to pound it in. I had no motivation in school, I don't know why I'm motivated to do this now. I have a feeling if I actually went to school for it, I wouldn't be motivated, again...

repetition is good.  do it enough it gets automatic, just like most anything else.

just keep that idea in mind for down the road when you get messed up with all kinds of units and it looks really daunting.  find your final units of what you are looking for so you have a goal. 

Hemisaurus

I suppose there's a mnemonic for it, but between computer memory and electronics, I've been doing it so long, it's automatic.

pico, nano, micro, milli,  8) kilo, mega, giga, tera, peta et al.

Just remember they go in steps of 10^-3 down and 10^3 up.