Main Menu

Tape Op #87

Started by chlorpromazine, January 25, 2012, 10:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chlorpromazine

...arrived in my mailbox yesterday containing lengthy interviews with Greg Norman and Steve Albini. The links contain just a fraction of what is in the print edition. They're on a roll lately. The last issue with Sanford Parker in it was good, too.

Lumpy

I'm into Tape Op (haven't gotten a new one yet). Even if you're not recording stuff yourself, if you're in a band and record (or want to record) reading Tape Op gets you inside the heads of engineers and producers, so you can understand how that world works, understand some of the lingo, think about different approaches to recording, that kinda shit. You can learn some of the dumb things that bands do (for example, get your guitar professionally set up/intonated before your session). Even as just a fan, some of the interviews are great for getting behind-the-scenes stories about bands you might like. And subscriptions are free.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Cursed71

Thanks for reminding me the subscription is free!  Just subscribed online. Took all of 4 minutes.

Mr. Foxen

Good shout, used to sometimes enjoy this when I was living with a sound engineer. Info will be fair bit more useful to me now.

chlorpromazine

I'm not an engineer by any stretch, but my bands mostly record themselves, and I end up helping a lot of other bands get sounds when they record. I learned to run live sound and record drums out of necessity, because I was tired of hearing my drums not sounding like my drums on recordings. I like Tape Op and Sound On Sound better than most of the drum magazines I've come across.

DustinAR

I got it the other day, I haven't had time to read much of it yet..just a little bit of the Albini interview. I just subscribed so I missed out on the Sanford Parker interview, would really be interested in reading that.

Chovie D

theres also the tape Op forums moderated by one of our own, Joel hamilton from JJ's Paradise players Club. Its a good forum for both gear and recording questions.
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/

but yes, the mag is good and free and in this day and age its nice to have a hard copy glossy mag to read on occasion  right?