Main Menu

Bread!

Started by NCR600, March 18, 2012, 07:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

thats what im talking about.

RAGER

This Sunday we're gonna spend a couple days on the coast with some family. For Sunday I'm providing a muffuletta and some sides. Trying out two different bread recipes. One starts with an overnight starter then sone working and forming then an overnight rest and bake.

The other is a same day type that's usually 4 hours or so start to finish.

I'll build the sandwich the morning before we leave and pack away in the cooler. By evening it should be very nice.

My preference is to make my own olive salad but uncle has a jar of the real deal Central Grocery olive salad so I'll be using that.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

This is gonna be good tonight.

Had to hit 3 stores to find mortadella. And it's not even the kind I really wanted. Weird.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

How to win with sandwiches ^

RAGER

Everybody loved the sandwich cuz of course they'd say that, them being nice and all and I'm sure they enjoyed but I think I kinda fucked up the bread. I wanted it sturdy but I think I got it too sturdy. Possibly a but underbaked even though the dough internal temp was right around 200°. The top didn't get as dark as I wanted. I didn't add sugar ir diastatic malt because I used bread flour. I also didn't use any oil. But it'll be a while because a giant ass muffuletta with cold cuts , cheese and salty olive salad isn't something I'm even supposed to be eating.

Pissy, you've got a sizable family. Do one up and talk to me. I ended up throwing a quarter of it away because of girls, road-trip, cooler, European style hotel with no refer combination thing dammit.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I can try the bread, but a muffalatta wouldn't get touched in this house. It's the olives. Wife hates them, the kids aren't adventurous at all, and I suppose they're salt bombs that my recent blood pressure scares don't need to touch either.  I love olives.  

Firmer bread I think was the right call, given the meat/cheese stack.  That thing was what 10" in diameter?
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Yep 10".

You could always make a different type of Sicilian sandwich on smaller buns. I think I will. Like these.

https://www.sanpellegrino.com/sparkling-drinks/zesty-food/alici-nella-meraviglia

https://www.sanpellegrino.com/sparkling-drinks/zesty-food/meravigliosa-di-mare

Then there's tigelle. Might do sone f those too.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

These are patterned after the predecessor of the bagel. The ka'ak. First spoken about in an ancient Syrian cookbook. They can be make in rings like this or in sticks like breadsticks.
So I made ka'ak rings.

Single roll for sandwich.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

What in the holy mackerel are you on about now. Wow!

RAGER

I like this shape too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

you really are nailing the bread game by all appearances. Way to go, chef!

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

2 400 gram dough balls for hoagies in a few days.

I used the dough calculator from https://www.richardeaglespoon.com/articles/how-to-hoagie

Although I did tweak my recipe slightly in technique and pulled back on the salt. One thing I will really agree on is " no bench flour. Just power through it". It'll get there. Uses a bench scraper on wood surface.

I've been following him on Instagram. His name is actually Joe Rosenthal which I've nicknamed him Joe Roganthal because he's kind of a know it all dickhead bully. He's got some merit for calling out sone shit that needs it but he's super full of himself. A bagel purist that's for sure.

I digress.

My balls.

No Focus Pocus

dnice

I wish I had the patience to learn how to make bread, cause of stuff like this....

RAGER

Buns made for smash burgers tonight. Shoulda raised the rack up one notch and rotated half through but got busy.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Burgers from last night.

4 oz. smashed with sea salt and thin sliced Walla Walla onions, shredded Tillamook cheddar, Claussen dill slices, burger sauce, shredduce on my buns.

Swedish tater salad. Terrible pic.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Baked off a couple seeded rolls this morning for sandwiches for lunch.

These were a 4 day ferment.

Meats & cheeses & chopped stuff& dressing &....

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Loaf. Nice dense crumb white.

So I had to.

Lettuces and tomato from the garden. Genuwine heirloom. Cross of costoluto genovese and brandy wine.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Rager has come to inform everyone that they should step up their sandwich game.  Those look amazing.  Mayo spread directly onto the tomato.  Always.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Made focaccia and par cooked some pan pizza dough.
Also came across some shokupan that I don't see nearby very often.
Focaccia turned out awesome as usual. Just flake Sea salt.

Pan pizza.

Garlic cream sauce, multi colored sweet pepper, fresh mozzarella, black and green Sicilian olives, artichoke hearts, chiffonade of hot soppressata, pepper jack and pecorino. 7"x10". This would run $18-$24 here.

No Focus Pocus