Main Menu

What's your fantasy amp?

Started by Corey Y, February 13, 2012, 02:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunwichamps

I usually use the same ones as a GT120 or also some of the OR120s so yes

moose23

Nick, have you got a legible GT120 schematic I could have a look at?

clockwork green

A giant 100-150 watt Tweed Deluxe would be awesome. I'd also love to see something with the lowend of a Matamp with the mid's and dynamics of a Trainwreck.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

dunwichamps

Quote from: clockwork green on February 15, 2012, 12:45:32 PM
A giant 100-150 watt Tweed Deluxe would be awesome. I'd also love to see something with the lowend of a Matamp with the mid's and dynamics of a Trainwreck.

100W deluxe, super simple, super loud.

inductorguitars

I was just looking at the 5e3 schematics earlier today. I think that will be my next build but with swappable 6v6's & 6L6's.

neighbor664

I don't really fantasize about amps but a Blond 1963 Fender Showman would be cool I suppose. A V4 that doesn't weigh a ton would be great.

dunwichamps

justinhedrick

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 15, 2012, 03:37:17 PM
Quote from: neighbor664 on February 15, 2012, 03:34:33 PM
A V4 that doesn't weigh a ton would be great.

true miracle

indeed. i swear i've carried one that weighs as much as a twin.

dunwichamps

my is a metric fuck ton, but thats cuz they used huge iron in that amp. Oversized, large bandwidth stuff by the looks of it.

liquidsmoke

Basically a Laney GH50L with reverb, a bit more gain(just in case), and true crankable clean all times 2 for 2 channels. That would be the perfect amp for me at this point. I'm not even sure I would ever use the extra gain or use it purely clean. So for now the stock GH I have is fine. The gain on this sucker is perfect for the type of metal I play and it's a really awesome sounding gain, it's not muddy yet it's not overly crisp either. Turn off the high gain and it's a rock machine and very non-master volume to JCM800 Marshall sounding.

Laney makes a couple amps that seem to be close to what I'm talking about here but I've never played them.

peyotepeddler

i have a 1997 svt that i absolutely love for geetar.........

so a hand wired version(no pcb) of this with a 8 ohm output would make me a happy camper

dunwichamps

Quote from: peyotepeddler on February 16, 2012, 12:49:16 PM

so a hand wired version(no pcb) of this with a 8 ohm output would make me a happy camper

is it a reissue of the old SVT 6x6550 amp?

peyotepeddler

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 16, 2012, 12:50:30 PM
Quote from: peyotepeddler on February 16, 2012, 12:49:16 PM

is it a reissue of the old SVT 6x6550 amp?

not quite, its called a svt "classic", but is a bit different, a few less preamp tubes

fallen

I didn't love the preamp section but I really liked the power amp on that Fender Prosonic head that you could switch between a bunch of modes. Tube rectified class A, tube rectified class A/B and solid state class A/B... or labeled something similar.

It was a cool idea to be able to leave the front end set and then get a bunch of variations of tone from the power section. Would be great with a Matamp front end.

mawso

"fantasy amp" means something that doesn't actually exist, right?

cos I really really really like the Bogner Uberschall

but i have no use for a clean channel - i prefer to just use the volume knob - and 100 watts is silly

I'd buy the shit out of a 50 watt single channel uberschall amp, for sure

martha_KH

and/or

MichaelZodiac

Matamp/Orange design for bass so a GT200 or AD200B, with one as a slave unit -pure volume- and a master head for the controls. The less controls the better, I want pure and sweet tone so master, volume, treble, bass & mids. Everything else I don't need. It has also has to take pedals like a motherfucker. The lower the price the better. Coupled with a couple of 2*15 and a couple of 4*12 to get the maximum out of the rig.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

tossom

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 13, 2012, 09:33:45 PM
2204 is a nice circuit, I dont know the exact power unit schematic but I do know the MV-120 schematic

I already own the amp I always wanted.  JCM 800 2204. 50w, 1 channel - thus almost retard friendly ;D

I sent it to these guys last year for an overhaul:

http://www.flynnamps.co.uk/

It came back sounding like very loud angry sex.

Asked them to brighten it up a bit, it had Svetlana tubes (I think) when I got it and was pretty muddy.  Probably old tubes, but the difference before and after is like night and day!  Mesa tubes in it now.

"Beige rock"

mawso

I'd also love to see something with the lowend of a Matamp with the mid's and dynamics of a Trainwreck.

yeah a "matwreck" would be pretty much perfect!

Ombrenuit

Mine is probably a matamp gt1 50w.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: tossom on February 18, 2012, 08:51:21 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on February 13, 2012, 09:33:45 PM
2204 is a nice circuit, I dont know the exact power unit schematic but I do know the MV-120 schematic

I already own the amp I always wanted.  JCM 800 2204. 50w, 1 channel - thus almost retard friendly ;D

I sent it to these guys last year for an overhaul:

http://www.flynnamps.co.uk/

I bought an amp that had been 'serviced' by them and came with a receipt from them, It was a horribly bodged mess, I got a pm on the forum where the deal went down warning me of the same. This solder splattered over components was a highlight:

dunwichamps

Quote from: Pundan on February 27, 2012, 10:11:26 AM
If

and

fucked.

ahh cathodyne versus long tail pair. You could do a nice 50W x 2 amp with both amps being built into one head.