Thinking about taking the plunge

Started by bbottom, February 13, 2012, 03:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

I've been getting a lot of emails lately for classic rock bands who are looking for a bass player. Any sort of classified ad that I put up looking for other band members or a band is pretty cut and dry about what I want

"Are you a fan of big fuzzed out volcanic riffs? Do you enjoy songs about outer-space and muscle cars? Well if so then you should contact me ASAP... especially if you're a guitar player and/or drummer. Let's get together, jam and see where it goes. "

Oh and this is the title of the ad

"Sabbath/Clutch/Red Fang/Sleep/Orange Goblin/Fu Manchu"

I suppose one of the reasons that people contact me is because bass players, in general, are pretty rare.

Anyway so I have been kind of kicking around the idea of maybe checking out one of these bands. The one that just contacted me has a lot of shows lined up and the places that they are playing generally pay pretty well.

On the other hand though, I hate 99% of these songs. I did the cover band thing a bunch of years ago and, while the money was nice, I despised playing the songs.

Anyway, what would you do?

Corey Y

I'd keep trying to get the band together that you actually want to play in. I'm not the best person to take advice from though, I haven't been able to start my ideal band in 12 years of trying.

I get a lot of the same responses when I post similar ads. The last time I put out an ad looking to start a heavy Sabbath based band I ended up in a jam with a drummer and guitarist, walking up and down the major pentatonic scale 12 bars at a time for an hour.

bbottom

Quote from: Corey Y on February 13, 2012, 03:11:23 PM
I'd keep trying to get the band together that you actually want to play in. I'm not the best person to take advice from though, I haven't been able to start my ideal band in 12 years of trying.

I get a lot of the same responses when I post similar ads. The last time I put out an ad looking to start a heavy Sabbath based band I ended up in a jam with a drummer and guitarist, walking up and down the major pentatonic scale 12 bars at a time for an hour.

Well I'm also in the process of getting a more ideal band together. So the whole cover band thing would be more for the money and simply being able to play out.

At least I'm getting more hits from classic rock bands than modern rock ones.

Demon Lung

What I'm thinking about doing is not even try the band thing. You aren't going to make all that much $$ playing in a band. So this is my idea. I'm going to lay down guitar tracks and send it to a friend that will lay down drum tracks who then in turn sends it to a bass player friend that lays down bass tracks. Put the shit on the Internet so everyone can hear it for free. That way there is no band I can keep my awesome job and still make music

bbottom

Quote from: Demon Lung on February 13, 2012, 03:21:06 PM
What I'm thinking about doing is not even try the band thing. You aren't going to make all that much $$ playing in a band.

I don't know man. When I was doing covers I was making about $150 a night plus free beer. Yea the songs were soul sucking, but the money was good. And I was able to by a lot of cool gear because of it

Corey Y

If you just want to make some money, then I'd say do it. As long as it's relatively drama free and there's no crazy personal hang-ups with the people in the band. Paying cover band gigs are work to me, not art. So I don't think arguments of integrity or following your dreams or any of that even apply. One doesn't exclude the other. If it's a means to an end all that matters is that the positives you get out of it outweigh the negatives. That pretty much sums up any job, to me. Just don't stop trying to do the band you actually want to while you're doing the cover band.

bbottom

Quote from: Corey Y on February 13, 2012, 03:32:06 PM
If you just want to make some money, then I'd say do it. As long as it's relatively drama free and there's no crazy personal hang-ups with the people in the band. Paying cover band gigs are work to me, not art. So I don't think arguments of integrity or following your dreams or any of that even apply. One doesn't exclude the other. If it's a means to an end all that matters is that the positives you get out of it outweigh the negatives. That pretty much sums up any job, to me. Just don't stop trying to do the band you actually want to while you're doing the cover band.

I agree with everything you said

bass sic

Gets you out of the house. You make money. You might make connections. You will get layed. The music sucks. Not too hard to figure out.

Demon Lung

Quote from: bbottom on February 13, 2012, 03:22:56 PM
Quote from: Demon Lung on February 13, 2012, 03:21:06 PM
What I'm thinking about doing is not even try the band thing. You aren't going to make all that much $$ playing in a band.

I don't know man. When I was doing covers I was making about $150 a night plus free beer. Yea the songs were soul sucking, but the money was good. And I was able to by a lot of cool gear because of it
that's pretty cool. I'd like $150 a night to play covers. That is more than I personally want. I dont think people should have to pay to hear music. Yeah they should pay to watch them play but just to listen to the music. I like what Mazrims band is doing. His album is fantastic the best album that I've heard so far this year. They let you pay what you want to pay and that is an awesome idea because some people are poor and can't afford to pay for i but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to hear it. I'll eventually want every interested to listen to my music but it will be 100% on my terms. I don't even want to play shows. I'm pretty excited about it so far because I feel like this is the way that I'll be able make my dream come true by putting out an amazing album. Hopefully it works out but if it doesn't then I'm just sure with letting myself hear m music.

The Shocker

What are the covers?  If the band plays Mustang Sally & Brown Eyed Girl say no.

Ombrenuit

I'd rather be in no band than a classic rock band consisted of low level salesmen who like to play weekends given they get their wives' permission.

The Shocker

Quote from: Ombrenuit on March 01, 2012, 03:32:58 PM
I'd rather be in no band than a classic rock band consisted of low level salesmen who like to play weekends given they get their wives' permission.

That's pretty much every band here.

chille01

If the dudes aren't terrible to hang out with, and you get paid to play... why not?  Sometimes just playing with other musicians that you wouldn't normally can make you a better player.  Even if you hate the songs, you can still have fun with it.  See how far away from the bass line on the album you can get before any of the other guys notice and give you shit.  Then play it straight a couple times, and slyly take it in another direction again.

Lumpy

You might be able to corrupt these guys over to your vision of an originals band, you never know.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

SpaceTrucker

tossom

Quote from: Ombrenuit on March 01, 2012, 03:32:58 PM

Yep, my thoughts exactly.  I got fed up of playing AC/DC covers by about 18.
"Beige rock"

clockwork green

Not playing at all sucks but our time on Earth is far too short to play stuff you're not into. Above all else I have to hold out for things that really something especially now that I have so little free time.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Submarine

Do it.  You will never meet other musicians by staying at home and hoping someone answers your craigslist ad.
Its not exactly a secret that most musicians in famous bands are doing it for the $$.  They are also linking up with other musicians
and may eventually find combinations that work.  Look at the story of how Led Zep formed.

Do you you like playing an instrument or do you prefer working a day gig and practicing at home alone every night?

JimBob83

I agree with the poster above, if you're into the covers that they plan to play then at the very least you're getting the chance to go out there and play and earn a bit of cash in the process.  It will get frustrating if you are looking to put some original material but playing other peoples songs will probably make you a better musician in at least some capacity, even if it's just from playing more often.  Also there's always the chance you get headhunted by a band that actually digs your playing rather than your influences because in my experience recruiting musicians their list of influences didn't seem to translate into the way they play their instrument.

In terms of joining an originals band, I'd say be honest with yourself right from the off.  Do I like the music this band plays?  Do I like the way they play?  Do I like their attitude?  Because all of the little uncertainties you have about their sound or whatever, will most likely become massive "creative differences" further down the line.

Ranbat

I'm looking at joining a cover band myself. Lots of 70s classic rock and a chance to do something in a situation I've never played in before. The situation being playing covers and having a gal singer. Plus, I need the experience. I'd really like to join a traditional type Country band (Hank Williams, Johnny Horton, Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins). In my area, playing that kind of music could make pretty decent money as far as cover bands go. I figure I'll do the rock thing and get used to how a cover band situation works, then look for other situations.
Meh :/

Baltar

I tried out for a cover band a few weeks ago in my area.  It was a fucking horror show.  The dudes were 10 years younger than me and thought Puddle of Mudd was "Grunge".  They were really awful musicians besides not knowing who Mudhoney is.  Ugh.  I really would just rather play in my room by myself.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Hemisaurus

I've played, and walked out on a few nascent cover bands, you can only take so much compromise, usually it was one too many crappy covers tipping the boat. Then I played punk bands for a few years and felt better. ;D

bbottom

With all of the drama going on in my two real bands right now I'm revisiting my idea of putting together an old school rap group

Hemisaurus

I hear a popular white-boy rap-group has an opening ;D

MichaelZodiac

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 06, 2012, 11:01:07 PM
I hear a popular white-boy rap-group has an opening ;D
Too soon... + his basslines were godly.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan