Main Menu

bass thru a laney aor?

Started by kirky, February 16, 2012, 12:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Foxen

The reason 12" cones make bad mids/highs is because the wider the radiating plane, the more directional they are at higher frequencies, it is why you get 'beaming', you can make them to produce the highs well enough, but they'd only work if you were right in front of them, it is pretty much the only thing that cone diameter directly influences, anything else associated with diameter is pretty much myth. The sacrifice home stereo stuff makes for hifi sound and sensible sized cabs is sensitivity, they won't go very loud for a given power input, because they don't need to.

kirky

Quote from: mawso on February 17, 2012, 01:42:39 AM
have used my AOR 100 for bass a number of times

but only with a bass 4X10

it sounds fucking awesome

i think i'll go with this answer.....i applaud you.

inductorguitars

Speaker manufacturing and cabinet design are pretty complicated. Take a gander at Thiel Small parameters.

Mr. Foxen

Guitar speaker cabs are pretty easy, the only thing you shouldn't do is put 4 12" speakers in a square shape.

Ayek

Marshall make a bass 4x12. Have done for a while. Cabinet shape isn't much different from the guitar cabs.

Lumpy

Was reading something somewhere, where Jim Marshall said the reason Marshall 4x12s are that shape/size is because that was the smallest shape/size he could fit 4 speakers in. He didn't know anything about the acoustics and cab design then. Seems like acoustic science is more crucial in a bass cab (to get them good lows).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mr. Foxen

Marshall make guitar cabs, write 'bass' on them and call it good.

The failing about 4x12s is that they are so directional that if you stand in front of it to eq your head, you can't actually hear what is coming out of the speakers.

jibberish

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 17, 2012, 08:31:51 AM
The reason 12" cones make bad mids/highs is because the wider the radiating plane, the more directional they are at higher frequencies, it is why you get 'beaming', you can make them to produce the highs well enough, but they'd only work if you were right in front of them, it is pretty much the only thing that cone diameter directly influences, anything else associated with diameter is pretty much myth. The sacrifice home stereo stuff makes for hifi sound and sensible sized cabs is sensitivity, they won't go very loud for a given power input, because they don't need to.

moot point when they cant even play the highs do to inertial attenuation. also large cones are impossible to make perfect and they get standing waves and other flex distortions going, unfortunately at higher frequencies.
you cannot get detail out of that.  sheer volume, sure, but that doesnt cut it when you need to reproduce the whole music in detail. you get fuzzed mud.  the middle of the cone isnt even doing what the edges are anymore...too much time and flex

Mr. Foxen

12" cones can go plenty high enough to become directional. Especially if you put they next to eachother.  Also the flex is part of the breakup mode of the cone and part of the tone of the guitar speaker, which makes it pretty vital to the 'tone'.

jibberish

dont forget , i'm describing a home audio perspective of why 12" midranges are not used and why i was puzzled about the "dont run 12" guitar spkrs as bass spkrs" which started the whole thing. now i know, they are glorified midranges.

what you describe is for music gear. those qualities are absolutely unwanted in home stereo.  we sort of have two arguments that have missed each other in passing.

heh, the whole premise of some of my questions was the way things are for home stereos make no sense in the music gear application, because the music gear applications and situations like you are describing wouldn't even be part of the equation wrt home speaker design.
like a hf beaming issue would never even be arrived at because the whole thing sounded like ass, beam or no beam.

stereos have to accurately reproduce, music gear just has to produce so you have much latitude in the sound you dial in, because you are creating it. so the blown speaker in geezer's bass rig sounded killer. the slightest flaw or coloration in a stereo fucks up the music.

Mr. Foxen

Some home stereo/PA stuff does apply to bass gear, but generally gets ignored anyway because musicians are idiots that buy with their eyes not their ears. Hifi sounding bass cabs are lovely if you can actually play bass, otherwise they show up how shitty your playing is, the 15+6 cabs like Fearfuls and suchlike are great, and some of the Barefaced stuff you can play a cd into and it sounds fine, aside from being mono/half of the stereo. There is a bass cab maker using high excursion home hifi type woofers in bass cabs, but clearly aiming for the never get out the bedroom sorts who never push any SPL (same ones that are constantly emailing me asking why the 120w amp they bought off me doesn't distort).

El Zombre

I don't think so ...
AOR ~ Pro-Tube.
That's probably solid state.

VOLVO)))

Definitely solid state.

Too bad he already bought it, probably.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

He as in me? I didn't buy it. Just thought it seemed appropriate to post about in this thread. I would however probably buy a 100 watt SS Laney Linebacker guitar model if the price was right but they are hard to find.