Main Menu

bass thru a laney aor?

Started by kirky, February 16, 2012, 12:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirky

would it be ok to run a bass thru a 100w laney aor? the cab i have is a 4x12 guitar with 65w speakers.....lemmy uses guitar cabs right?

Lumpy

You probably want to roll off the lows all the way first. Maybe the AOR head has EQ that will do it? (Start with the bass EQ all the way down, and everything else up, and not too loud). Or if you can, get an EQ pedal in that signal chain and turn the bass all the way off. The danger is that you might fuck up your guitar speakers, if you send too bassy a signal, too loud, through speakers that aren't able to handle the lows.

Or you may be fine. But tread carefully if you can't afford to replace speakers.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

Metal and Beer

Yep, Lumps covered it. You could run the head into bass speaks/cab, but 100W probably isn't gonna be enough oomph (stagewise anyway, might be great for recordin')
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

jibberish

why would a 100watt amp blow out 4x65watt speakers? what happens at lower frequencies that doesn't happen at higher bass frequencies? tube amps dont even clip like SS[put the power rail to the speaker basically]

Are these "guitar" 12" drivers built with really small travel for enhanced mids and the ability to get away with minimal surrounds and coil size in the restricted travel so they are really efficient at higher freqs?
i could see maybe "bottoming out", issues there, where you hear that loud crack of the coil smacking the back of the housing when driven hard at too low of a freq.

[im a home stereo guy so this should explain my weird /different perspective on speakers and amps, and maybe missing simple things involving music speakers and amps]

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: jibberish on February 16, 2012, 06:00:00 AM
what happens at lower frequencies that doesn't happen at higher bass frequencies?

Excursion, which is the thing that breaks speakers. Sealed cab will help by limiting the excursion, but will also limit bass output, provoking eqing more bass, which will break things.

Basically it will work fine if you don't expect it to sound like a bass, sounding guitary like Lemmy's bass is fine, actual bottom will shred up the speakers real good. Also it will be stressing the amp harder so it will require a bit more maintenance.

hayseed

I was always told- You can play guitar through bass amps but not bass through guitar amps. Always stuck by that rule, never had a problem. I have used a guitar amp for bass in a pinch, but you definitely need to set the EQ's correctly and adjust the volume or its not gonna last very long. It would work fine for low volume recording though.

Also, I really wouldn't consider Lemmy's rig as "guitar cabs". I believe he uses his signature Superbass II  head with a 4x12(modified for bass) and a custom made 4x15. I would say his cabs are built to handle it more so than a normal, off the shelf guitar cab.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

grimniggzy

Lemmy def has bass speakers in his cabs now, but I think he ran damn near the same rig as Fast Eddie back in the day.

justinhedrick

Quote from: grimniggzy on February 16, 2012, 10:33:32 AM
Lemmy def has bass speakers in his cabs now, but I think he ran damn near the same rig as Fast Eddie back in the day.

this is true.

Mr. Foxen

They are probably Celestion speakers that are pretty much guitar speakers, for sealed cabs, rather than modern type bass speakers that have more in common with PA ones. Its all about using appropriate gear for the sound rather than forcing it to do something it isn't supposed to. I play bass through a  guitar rig, valve head and 4x12 all the time, I eq it to sound like I want to not blindly roll off lows, I use a guitar rig because I want it to sound like one though. The only thing I' totally avoid is pushing a SS high power bass head into a guitar cab, because that can destroy cones with very brief idiocy and not much warning, even with guitar.

hayseed

I never knew that. I would love to have one of his signature stacks though...kind of a dream amp of mine.

"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

justinhedrick

al cisneros (sp?) from sleep was also known to use a guitar rig along with his bass rig.

grimniggzy

Quote from: hayseed on February 16, 2012, 01:32:22 PM

I never knew that. I would love to have one of his signature stacks though...kind of a dream amp of mine.

always kinda struck me as overkill
haha

yesca

i use an AOR as my main guitar rig and also mess with it for bass you shouldnt have a problem as long as the cab/speakers can handle it. but i do run my aor into either a 1x15 bass cab or a 4x10 or both.

grimniggzy

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 16, 2012, 01:35:05 PM
al cisneros (sp?) from sleep was also known to use a guitar rig along with his bass rig.

Yeah, Al runs a DS-1 with the tone jacked all the way clockwise on the guitar rig side. Pretty sure he uses guitar speakers since he regularly borrows gear & is pretty much losing all his lows from running his DS-1 that way.

hayseed

Quote from: grimniggzy on February 16, 2012, 01:36:10 PM
Quote from: hayseed on February 16, 2012, 01:32:22 PM

always kinda struck me as overkill
haha

Haha! Very punny!

Lumpy

Stanley Clarke has guitar cabs in his bass rig (Jazz Chorus 120) for extra sizzle. Lots of people do it, you just have know what you're doing. Jibberish's explanation was correct, the guitar speakers are built to emphasize mids. Bass waves are big and require big speaker movement to reproduce. Treble frequencies are small/tight and require less magnet movement to reproduce ('excursion' - the distance the magnet travels when it vibrates). It's the guitar speaker's poor little magnet traveling too far/too fast/too violently, trying to reproduce big bass waves, and then your speaker gets all tored up. Bass speakers are built to handle more excursion.

Using guitar cabs is being done successfully all the time, you just need to take protective measures first, and use the guitar cab as a supplement, not as the main bass cab, if you want to sound like a "bass"

Mr. Foxen

The Rickenbacker bridge pickup has a cap on some models that cuts the bass output from the bridge pickup so when you use Ric-O-Sound you can put the treble to a guitar amp safely. Never come across anyone using it though.

inductorguitars

Quote from: Lumpy on February 16, 2012, 03:38:16 PM
Stanley Clarke has guitar cabs in his bass rig (Jazz Chorus 120) for extra sizzle. Lots of people do it, you just have know what you're doing. Jibberish's explanation was correct, the guitar speakers are built to emphasize mids. Bass waves are big and require big speaker movement to reproduce. Treble frequencies are small/tight and require less magnet movement to reproduce ('excursion' - the distance the magnet travels when it vibrates). It's the guitar speaker's poor little magnet traveling too far/too fast/too violently, trying to reproduce big bass waves, and then your speaker gets all tored up. Bass speakers are built to handle more excursion.

Using guitar cabs is being done successfully all the time, you just need to take protective measures first, and use the guitar cab as a supplement, not as the main bass cab, if you want to sound like a "bass"

The magnet doesn't move the voice coil moves.  

I had an idea of a moving magnet microphone, but the cost to prototype it would be huge.

Lumpy

VOLVO)))

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 16, 2012, 01:35:05 PM

If you notice, Al almost always uses TWO 4x12s. The more surface area that the frequencies are spread over, the less chance of damaging a single speaker. When playing bass, I've been known to do the 8x10 + 2 4x12's thing. There's just SO much speaker that it's hard to destroy them unless you're running straight square waves.

Long story short, if you can afford to replace speakers, do it, but don't take our advice because we're just bums off the net, so your mileage may vary.

"Using guitar speakers for bass is similar to a hot rod. Yeah, it'll do 200 MPH, but for how long and how much money are you willing to spend?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

The square waves damaging cones thing is a myth. It will just sound utterly aids, no more chance of damaging stuff than a sine wave of same power, unless you ahve crossovers and hf elements involved.

VOLVO)))

Lemmy sounds like a regular guitar player here...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mawso

have used my AOR 100 for bass a number of times

but only with a bass 4X10

it sounds fucking awesome

jibberish

ok, thx for clearing that up, esp lumpy.    i guess my bad assumption all along was that 12" driver=woofer. 
from all the lore, it sure sounded like midrange speaker abuse with guitar 12"-ers used for bass.

but it didnt make sense, because all[home stereo]12"drivers are woofers. they don't blow up at any frequency, within power handling range. you would never, ever use that large of a mass cone for mids[in a home stereo]. too slow/flexy for detail.  all they do is physically attenuate the highs.