Made you guys something to eat..dig in...The Mexican food thread.

Started by mertz, February 25, 2012, 09:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeezuz

Quote from: DavidATX on March 12, 2012, 03:36:18 PM
I love being in Texas. Finding good Tex-Mex here is like finding a McDonalds in the burbs.  Finding interior Mexican is pretty damn easy too.

Favorite plates are:

Enchiladas Rojas
Carnitas (served with grilled onions and avocados)
one of the reasons i fear moving away is the loss of tex-mex.

current faves are:
Bean and Chicken Sopes w/avocado
Queso Fundido (fajita chicken and shrooms) w/hand made tortillas & enough chips and salsa to make me wear my buffet pants.

mertz

Where in Texas are you? My mom and bro just moved there and found out Texas has scorpions! Is this true?

L. Ron

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

DavidATX

Me or xina?  I am in Houston but lived off and on in Austin for 10 years.

Of course Texas has scorpions. For the most part they are relatively harmless...like a wasp sting. But if you are allergic then it can be a serious problem. Kind of hard to see them in east Texas, but the rest of the state they are easy to find, and difficult to eradicate.

I would be more concerned about spiders and snakes.

GodShifter

Xina is in Dallas, Jotun & I also live there, Mertz.

And, yep, as David says, Texas definitely has scorpions. They're not really a concern so much here. But, it's always a good idea to shake your shoes out before you put them on just in case.

yeezuz

yep yep and awww you remembered C:

at this point scorpions are not on my mind at all, it's freaking mosquito hawks. there are millions of them everywhere, the bugs are going to be intense this spring and summer since the winter was so mild.

this taqueria up the street from me has the best fucking guacamole on the planet, but i feel guilty shopping there as my spanish is nonexistent and there are small children working there.

mertz

Ummmm what is a mosquito hawk and does it bite or sting? I've been thinking about making the move to Texas....but now maybe not...

RAGER

Why would you move to Texas?  Are you from there and feeling a need to go back or is work making you go there?
No Focus Pocus

mertz

My mom and brother moved there a year ago for my brothers job. My mom has very advanced rheumatoid arthritis and is not doing so well. That and the cost of living. I would be able to buy a house in Texas. There isn't much keeping me here except my career in the clothing biz.

mortlock

go to texas since you have family involved. its a no brainer..otherwise, id say move to ny or anywhere in the northeast u.s. for the most extreme season changes every 3 months..i love the seasons and i never realized how much i valued the cold weather and snow until i lived in the desert of phoenix az for 9 fucking years..

DavidATX

Everyone knows I defend Texas all the time.  Its not for everyone and a lot of people don't understand what it is about Texas that people love.  Thats fine.  But it is a great place to live.

Where in Texas would you move?  I hope not Dallas (shut up godshifter!)

Also, a mosquito hawk doesn't bite, they kill mosquitos supposedly.  They are just huge.

GodShifter

Hey, mertz,

Move to Dal-- :-X

Nah, for the most part, David is right. Dallas is pretty much horrible in terms of plastic people and everything else. The best place to live in Texas is Austin, but it's super crowded due to it being really popular with the young hip crowd.

Texas is great for the most part, but it's a culture shock for anyone moving from either coast. Super hot in the summers with high humidity, especially towards the coast, but, for the most part, the people are nice and the food is awesome.

DavidATX

Quote from: mertz on March 16, 2012, 06:47:42 AM
San Antonio...

What part of San Antonio?  NW is in the beginning of the hill country and is very pretty.  But you could also live outside of SA in New Braunfels.

neighbor664

I made some Chili Rellenos this evening. They turned out ok I s'pose. Nothing to boast about, more of a learning experience than anything. The next attempt will be better I'm sure.

RAGER

Quote from: rayinreverse on March 12, 2012, 11:01:39 AM
Quote from: Lumpy on March 12, 2012, 01:37:56 AM
Quote from: rayinreverse on March 12, 2012, 12:34:27 AM
there is a mexican restaurant here called Red Iguana. I dig their mole's quite a bit. But my ultimate mexican dish is cochanita pibil.
and I know its cliche because of that movie, but when its good, god damn it is almost worth murdering for.

Which movie? ???

Mertz, I am available for adoption ;)

once upon a time in mexico. johnny depps character orders cochanita pibil at every restaurant and kills the chef if its good.
there is a cool video of robert rodriguez talking about pibil and how to make it that was some disc 2 type shit. it might be on youtube.
he equates not being able to cook to not being able to fuck. or something along those lines.

*edit
found it

I'm using this method for my puerco tonight.  I just put it in the oven.
No Focus Pocus

DavidATX

I hat this motherfucking diet. I want to go to my favorite Tex-Mex spot and eat the living hell out of this:

rayinreverse

Quote from: RAGER on March 19, 2012, 05:16:06 PM
Quote from: rayinreverse on March 12, 2012, 11:01:39 AM
Quote from: Lumpy on March 12, 2012, 01:37:56 AM
Quote from: rayinreverse on March 12, 2012, 12:34:27 AM
there is a mexican restaurant here called Red Iguana. I dig their mole's quite a bit. But my ultimate mexican dish is cochanita pibil.
and I know its cliche because of that movie, but when its good, god damn it is almost worth murdering for.

Which movie? ???

Mertz, I am available for adoption ;)

once upon a time in mexico. johnny depps character orders cochanita pibil at every restaurant and kills the chef if its good.
there is a cool video of robert rodriguez talking about pibil and how to make it that was some disc 2 type shit. it might be on youtube.
he equates not being able to cook to not being able to fuck. or something along those lines.

*edit
found it

I'm using this method for my puerco tonight.  I just put it in the oven.

What did you think?

RAGER

it turned out really good.  I followed his recipe pretty closely which is hard for me to do but I wanted to see how it came out like this.  One main thing that I would do differently is brown the meat first but to keep it authentic I didn't. because originally they would bury (pibil means buried)the meat in banana leaves and roast so there would be no browning first.  Got my banana leaves at an asian store close by, i had to ground the anatto by hand which was a huge pain in the ass.  You gotta suffer a little, it makes the dish better.  and it was good.  Served it with some rice, balck beans, and tortillas.

The spice mixture is something very similar to something I get from Belize; a friend of mine has property there and he brings me back bricks of this stuff called red recado.  the also have black recado which they use in a dish called black dinner.  the red recado is basically an achiote paste.  i use it for red recado stewed chicken, and also on pork chops with bell peppers.  Here's a cool little video my buddy shot of his girl and Belizian neighbor making stewed chicken.  Dudes name is Sandfly and he's quite the character.  Enjoy

No Focus Pocus