Trader Joes sucks, Whole Foods is too expensive, Dominic's all processed sugar

Started by MadJohnShaft, March 06, 2012, 07:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

Trader Joe's is all pre-prepared meals for single people and lazy Mom's.   I was very disappointed by my visit there.  The downtown Evanston Whole Foods is full of hot moms and college girls. They should sell tickets. Regular grocery stores gross me out a bit, except for the liquor isle.

In the winter, we live on our meat CSA and the box of organic fruits and veggies from New Leaf grocery store in Roger's park and the occasional visit to the indoor farmer's market.

Can't get Julia to stop going to wholepaycheck though, cause we need staples, breakfast and the kid's lunches.

It's 40 out everyday, maybe I need a greenhouse and we can run a winter garden.  CSA from Angelic starts in June. Whoop!

Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

Trader Joes is good for a few things like Olive oil, bread when I don't feel like baking, and wine because my girls brother is a wine steward there and he gives us the skinny on the good wines not that 2 buck chuck shite that is now 5 bucks.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I mostly get staples at Trader Joes because the prices are better than my local store (and Whole Foods too, BTW), and the quality is good: Eggs, egg whites, yogurt, ground beef, nuts (great nuts BTW), olive oil, half&half, cottage cheese, cheese, cream cheese, frozen vegetables, coffee, etc. etc.

If I bought snacky items there, I would explode horizontally. Everything looks delicious but I cant eat that stuff (cocktail weenies wrapped in phyllo dough, etc).

The only stuff I've bought there which truly sucked was their pre-made sushi. Even worse than regular grocery store sushi.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

juggernaut

Quote from: Lumpy on March 06, 2012, 02:41:42 PM
I mostly get staples at Trader Joes because the prices are better than my local store (and Whole Foods too, BTW), and the quality is good: Eggs, egg whites, yogurt, ground beef, nuts (great nuts BTW), olive oil, half&half, cottage cheese, cheese, cream cheese, frozen vegetables, coffee, etc. etc.

If I bought snacky items there, I would explode horizontally. Everything looks delicious but I cant eat that stuff (cocktail weenies wrapped in phyllo dough, etc).

The only stuff I've bought there which truly sucked was their pre-made sushi. Even worse than regular grocery store sushi.

Same.  Wife and I are big fans of TJ's and it's definitely not more expensive than our regular supermarket for most things.  We avoid all the snack stuff as well but every once in a while I get their rice pudding.  I don't know what it is but that shit is like crack to me.  I'll crush an entire thing in one sitting. 

neighbor664

mertz

I loved Trader Joes until tonight...First I nearly got run down by an angry housewife in a Suburban then worse...a dude in tight jeans, cowboy boots, and an Affliction shirt attempted to chat me up. Ugh. I then realized the worst thing possible...it was actually Fabio. :(

VOLVO)))

We have two local co-ops, and Earth Fare. One co-op rules, the other is bottom tier. I used to work there, it's run like shit, they pay poorly and all of their "organic" hot deli food is from sysco. Liars. I quit after a couple months of being appalled at the workplace.

Earth Fare is fabulous, expensive but worth every penny. I buy less food there than if I were to buy at "regular" stores because most of the time it's more filling, so I eat less. I buy all my hair and body care shit there. I never want commercial hygiene products again after using this shit. My skin is softer and more moist, and my hair is full/lighter than ever. If God was shampoo/conditioner, he would be what I use.

Also, the whole fair-trade everything deal/not tested on animals deal makes me happy.

Earth Fare gives me my daily multi vitamins, too... for free since Im there every day for something...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MadJohnShaft

CSA starts in June - I love that weekly box. Unlike the grocery store, everything in there is only what is in season, so it's at its best and it helps focus your menu on the Calendar.

I like that it makes you deal with a large quantity of a single vegetable and eat an insane number of salads. And real corn just picked in Illinois. That corn should be a weapon.

I gave away one half of the box at work every week. Those eastern Europeans went nuts for that stuff.
Some days chickens, some days feathers