Main Menu

Drummers!

Started by VOLVO))), March 06, 2012, 11:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Did I score? What is it? Premier turns up nothing.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justJon

Schweet! Cast hoops should thicken up/round out the sound nicely. Solid brass shell? Or is it a wrap? I ask 'cause it  almost looks like one of their "resonator" (?) shells, that they made with a void between the inner/outer shells. They used those "low contact" lugs to allow both shells to resonate more freely, hence the name.

Whatever it is, it looks great. If it sounds good, it is good.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Metal and Beer

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 06, 2012, 11:49:53 AM

Did I score? What is it? Premier turns up nothing.

Looks potentially badass.

I'd say if you got it for a dollar or ten, you scored, but if you paid a few/several hundred you unscored?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Percussion
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

VOLVO)))

Solid brass. Cast hoop, cast lugs. Monster throwoff... 60 bucks. Its like 7-7 1/2 deep! Loud... i dig it. Didnt have the 60 bucks, but couldnt leave it.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

60? Yes, you definitely scored, sir. Congrats on a fine purchase.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Discö Rice

Love those lugs, by the way.

VOLVO)))

Any idea what it is Gabe? It's so loud...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Yeah, man! Premier made good drums. Brass shell, 14x7ish, Die cast hoops -that's gonna be a loud, punchy snare with killer rimshot potential. Brass shells also seem to have a wide tuning range, so that'll be fun to play with. As for the series and model, not sure. I'll do some digging.

Metal and Beer

60 clams ?! Schwing-g-g-g !

Discö Rice

Alright, it's a Signia series drum, which was Premier's top of the line series in the 90's. Big fucking win, dude. You took that guy to the cleaners. :)

VOLVO)))

I've been looking all fucking day! It's incredible sounding, got to jam on it tonight. So, the previous owner did what no other drum owner has done for me. The dude took care of his shit. I didn't even look at it at the store, just walked out with it because it weighed 14 pounds. Anyways, I get it back to the shop, and notice my hand is oily. Dude kept the brass and lugs OILED, yes OILED... LIKE A GUN to keep it safe from corrosion. I took it apart, wiped it down polished the lugs, cleaned and polished the bearing edges, freed the hoops of tarnish... then I oiled the shell. Oiled the lugs, Oiled the hoops. I plan on keeping it oiled, it's quite literally PRISTINE. Not a mark on it. Put it all back together, and tuned it. My god is it loud... it's very musical, though.

Anyways, I'll pass on a good deal to whoever wants a new snare:

This just got a good scrubbing, tuning and whatnot. The bottom hoop is kinda wonky. I think someone may have dropped it... I'll give it up at 65 bucks to make my money back, I'll half on the shipping with ya. I'm thinkin' Metal Dave might want this.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mutantcolors

Good price on an acrolite.

Show us the bearing edge of the Premier and I'll tell you what's what.

Metal and Beer

I just got a Japanese 1960's era Polaris snare recently that's pretty killer, but thanks for the thought (I'd go for it otherwise, looks like a good dealio...)

'grats on that snare snag, that's awesome !

VOLVO)))

Alright, anyone who wants it gets it!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

For comparison, dude's been trying to sell this snare on the local CL for about 9 months & hasn't moved on the price.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/msg/2883466625.html

Livin' The Life.

Discö Rice

Quick release lugs are awfully handy if you have to change a head in a hurry. They're probably the reason that non-freefloater is so spendy.

RacerX

Still, after 9 months, you'd figure he'd drop a few Jacksons off the asking price.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

I dunno, to the right person, that snare is worth it...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mutantcolors

Get with the bearing edge shot. It is the key to telling you what kind of drum you're really sitting on.

VOLVO)))

Gabe was right, it is a Signia... It's not bell brass, there's a weld, it's reallllllyyy well hidden though. It's an incredible piece though, definitely a keeper for 60 bones.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

SpaceTrucker

No reason you can't sit on it, figuratively and literally.

mutantcolors

Yeah, so rolled shell, rolled edge. Not what I would call a "solid" brass shell. Still a killer drum. The guy would have been a certified dimwit if he sold you a cast/milled shell for $60.

VOLVO)))

No matter, it's not goin' no wheres. Milled shells sound divine...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

When it comes to milled shells, it's one of those things where I'm not sure the difference in tone and volume justifies the difference in price. Well made drums are loud. That's all there is to it. If volume and resonance are your chief concerns, there are ways to make any well made drum hit like a truck. You can get a new Pearl, Tama, Dynasty or Yamaha 14x12 free floating marching snare for around $600. That's half what a bell brass snare went for new, and it gives you the option of putting whatever kind of shell you want in there. Those things are meant to be heard over huge distances. I dunno.

VOLVO)))

My Mapex Orions are ridiculously loud. I love those drums. I might actually oil my lugs on those tomorrow, too...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.