Main Menu

Amp pulls

Started by The Shocker, March 06, 2012, 09:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

Pulled a couple of tube amps from some Philco components.  Will be sending these to Sunn soon for him to play with.

Amp 1:

Amp 2:

The Shocker

Forgot to ask, will these make some cool low powered guitar amps?

BTW, that is an electrostatic speaker along with a conventional speaker in that one picture.

Baltar

Nice, they should make killer little bedroom bombs. We're in a platinum age for DIY.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

dunwichamps

6k6s are like slightly smaller versions of 6v6s often used in old radios and old smaller amps.

A set in push pull will still get some good wattage, and i dont think it would classify as bedroom amp level, in SE you would get less so that wouldnt be as loud

a nice ballsy move would be a stereo SE amp, for true stereo delay/chorus ect

VOLVO)))

I'll probably need some help if it isn't obvious what to do...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 07, 2012, 11:33:30 AM
I'll probably need some help if it isn't obvious what to do...

just ask and ye shall receive a schematic

The Shocker

I plan on sending these to Jake in the next few days.

Amp 1 came out of a Phonorama console that had a turntable and a couple of speakers.  You can see the inputs for other components on the top plate.

Amp 2 came out of an external speaker cabinet to make the Phonorama stereo.  It works, but has tons of hiss and the sound that comes out of the speaker is very distorted (but not in a good way).  That is the amp I'd like to use as I still have the speaker cabinet, which looks cool.  Not familiar with the tubes in it, but it looks lower powered than amp 1. 

The Riffer

I 'd guess that you'll need to construct some type of a preamp that resembles a guitar amp?
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

dunwichamps

for flea amps, all you need is maybe 1 pre tube if you go SE or self split push pull for the case of triode output.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: The Riffer on March 07, 2012, 12:07:12 PM
I 'd guess that you'll need to construct some type of a preamp that resembles a guitar amp?

This will do. :D

Fuck a preamp, use a pedal.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 07, 2012, 12:44:26 PM
Quote from: The Riffer on March 07, 2012, 12:07:12 PM

This will do. :D

Fuck a preamp, use a pedal.

that can give u something but you need sufficient peak to peak amplitude to drive a power tube even a small one like a 6k6, at minimum 1 gain stage before the SE power amp

SpaceTrucker

aren't these the AC tubes?  or am i thinking of something else, if they are ac they hum like a motherfucker.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on March 07, 2012, 03:34:04 PM
aren't these the AC tubes?  or am i thinking of something else, if they are ac they hum like a motherfucker.

dont know what you mean by AC. All tubes used for guitar can amplify AC

The Shocker

Finally got off my ass and sent these to Jake.  Hopefully he'll chime in on his progress.   ;)

VOLVO)))

The big one smoked immediately soon as I plugged it in. Loud hum then poof'd.

The little one seems to be running fine, has signal when turning knobs, haven't figured out a way to make it play yet. Any ideas?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 15, 2012, 09:00:46 AM
The big one smoked immediately soon as I plugged it in. Loud hum then poof'd.

Probably due for some new caps  ;) (I know, duh)  - I think those amps are from 57-58.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 15, 2012, 09:00:46 AM
The little one seems to be running fine, has signal when turning knobs, haven't figured out a way to make it play yet. Any ideas?
Put a signal in it ;D

You are remembering to power them up with a speaker attached yada yada. It's already an amp, the signal is going to be fed in, to either pin 2 or pin 7 on that 12AX7. Pick the likely one, feed it a signal, say from a radio if you don't have a sig gen, use a .1uF capacitor to decouple it in case, positive side to the tube pin, negative to your signal source. All you may need is a 1/4" jack and a couple of resistors at the end of the day.

Hemisaurus

At The Shocker, there are a shit-ton of original Philco schematics online, try and find some model numbers, and make Jake's life easier. ;)

The Shocker

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 15, 2012, 11:06:02 AM
At The Shocker, there are a shit-ton of original Philco schematics online, try and find some model numbers, and make Jake's life easier. ;)

Will try.

The Shocker

The big amp was from a:

Model F1600

This model uses a four speed automatic record changer and a four tube amplifier with individual bass and treble controls. The output power is 6 watts.

Two input jacks are provided for use with an external tuner, tape deck or other audio device.

The wood cabinet was available with either a mahogany or blonde finish

The smaller amp is from a:

Model SA-1000

A speaker with amplifier, designed for use with the G-1606S shown above. It was available with a mahogany or blonde finish

Edit: not sure how to match your info with mine...

Hemisaurus

Hmm, both schematics are available at the radiiomuseum.org for a $25 signup fee and a lot of pretentious hassle BUT they give you thumbnails for free, and that's good enough to sort of see what's going on.

SA-1000

Valves / Tubes    4: 6AU6 6AQ5 6AQ5 6X4

So 6AU6 is the preamp, 6X4 is the rectifier, 6AQ5's are the power section, don't worry about the phase splitting, or the power section as much as where to inject the signal, and if it's going to get enough gain.

F-1600

Valves / Tubes    4: 12AX7 6K6GT 6K6GT 5Y3GT

so 12AX7 is the preamp, 5Y3GT is the rectifier, 6K6's are the power section,  again don't worry about the phase splitting or the power section as much as where to inject the signal, and if it's going to get enough gain.

So the smaller amp is using a 6AU6 pentode preamp, inject the signal on pin 1. Here's an Alamo amp that uses a 6AU6 as a preamp, to give you the idea.

The Shocker

Ok Chub Cub, get to it.  ;)

And big thanks Saurus