Main Menu

Ye Ole Blasphemy Thread

Started by Jake, March 17, 2012, 09:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Quote from: The Riffer on March 22, 2012, 03:05:47 PM
^ I see your point, but you have to admit there is a difference playing in front of tube amp vs. solid state.
Hey this is the blasphemy thread, remember. I'm still laughing ;D

mutantcolors

I stand by not liking Les Pauls. Yet, to further my LP blasphemin', I like the maple fretboard customs.

VOLVO)))

Good lookin' axe for a fake.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Riffer

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 22, 2012, 03:07:22 PM
Mark, build me a Pharaoh with no knobs.
How about no tonestack, gain dimed and one volume knob. Stompswitch Thats what I'm talking about.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

RacerX

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 22, 2012, 02:52:10 PM
'nother one :)

• I laught at people who spend $500 or more on a tube amp, and then put a stompbox with transistors in front of it ;D

Really? I don't get it. How/why is that funny?
Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

Quote from: RacerX on March 22, 2012, 03:54:45 PM

• I laught at people who spend $500 or more on a tube amp, and then put a stompbox with transistors in front of it ;D

I've found it weird to see people buying Matamps for 2500 dollars, and using Big Muffs too. You can run a Big Muff in front of any amp. If you're going to use a Matamp, let it sound like a Matamp. Or a Sunn Model T, or whatever.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Lumpy on March 22, 2012, 04:09:27 PM

I've found it weird to see people buying Matamps for 2500 dollars, and using Big Muffs too. You can run a Big Muff in front of any amp. If you're going to use a Matamp, let it sound like a Matamp. Or a Sunn Model T, or whatever.

a while ago I would have said the same thing, fuck pedals but after playing pedals in front of a wide variety of amps, the pedal itself doesnt necessarily kill the character of the amp. If the amp you play doesnt get the gain level you want, there isnt much else you can do it get more saturation other than run a pedal

grimniggzy

I rely more on the sound of my RAT than any of my amps. :o

Lumpy

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 22, 2012, 04:12:08 PM

a while ago I would have said the same thing, fuck pedals but after playing pedals in front of a wide variety of amps, the pedal itself doesnt necessarily kill the character of the amp. If the amp you play doesnt get the gain level you want, there isnt much else you can do it get more saturation other than run a pedal

True. But why buy a 2500 dollar amp that doesn't do everything you want it to do? Why not buy the the right amp, or buy a less expensive amp and then you can use Big Muffs to muddy up the sound?*

*flame bait

Like, don't tow your trailer with a Z-28. Don't put mag wheels and a spoiler on your Pacer. Right tool for the job, etc.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Lumpy on March 22, 2012, 04:31:52 PM

True. But why buy a 2500 dollar amp that doesn't do everything you want it to do? Why not buy the the right amp, or buy a less expensive amp and then you can use Big Muffs to muddy up the sound?*

*flame bait

Like, don't tow your trailer with a Z-28. Don't put mag wheels and a spoiler on your Pacer. Right tool for the job, etc.

I think the reason is that a Matamp GT120 with a meathead sounds a bunch different than a Crate Blue Voodoo with a meathead. Anyone can bury the amp in an awful pedal mess but I dont think you should confuse someone who buries the amp sound with many pedals/FX as compared to someone who compliments the character of an amp with a pedal.

I understand the cost sentiment, why doesnt a 2k+ amp give you the sound already but thats not how it shakes down in reality. I have seen 300 dollar Ampeg V4 destroy 3k newly made Marshalls.

grimniggzy

dunwichamps

Quote from: grimniggzy on March 22, 2012, 04:48:43 PM
I wants a $300 V4

a little while ago u could get them that cheap but price gouging has made them closer to 500-600. Still not a bad vintage amp for that cost. they are clean and loud, awesome EQ. Rougher to retube tho.

RAGER

Hey wait a minute.  Pacers did come with a 304 V-8
No Focus Pocus

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 22, 2012, 03:31:18 PM
Quote from: The Riffer on March 22, 2012, 03:05:47 PM
^ I see your point, but you have to admit there is a difference playing in front of tube amp vs. solid state.
Hey this is the blasphemy thread, remember. I'm still laughing ;D
...and still laughing ;D

clockwork green

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 22, 2012, 04:35:37 PM

*flame bait

I think the reason is that a Matamp GT120 with a meathead sounds a bunch different than a Crate Blue Voodoo with a meathead. Anyone can bury the amp in an awful pedal mess but I dont think you should confuse someone who buries the amp sound with many pedals/FX as compared to someone who compliments the character of an amp with a pedal.

I understand the cost sentiment, why doesnt a 2k+ amp give you the sound already but thats not how it shakes down in reality. I have seen 300 dollar Ampeg V4 destroy 3k newly made Marshalls.
Now that is some true blasphemy for this board where quality is inversely proportional to cost. 

Some more blasphemy for this board...I like expensive cables.  I like nice speaker cables, patch cables and leads.  I even think I hear a bit of a difference. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Mr. Foxen

*flame bait

Also Matamp are supposed to be clean and transparent, with the exception of some of the Dave Green era dirt monsters, so you have to put dirt in to get dirt out.

dunwichamps

Quote from: clockwork green on March 22, 2012, 06:40:14 PM

*flame bait

Now that is some true blasphemy for this board where quality is inversely proportional to cost. 

Some more blasphemy for this board...I like expensive cables.  I like nice speaker cables, patch cables and leads.  I even think I hear a bit of a difference. 

sometimes that happens, sometimes it does not.

mutantcolors

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 22, 2012, 03:43:52 PM
Good lookin' axe for a fake.

???

I grabbed the first photo of a black one I saw. Even if that one a fake, they were made.

VOLVO)))

What is with all of this fighty defensive shit, bud? I never said they weren't made. I was just sayin' it looked good even though I doubt THAT PARTICULAR GUITAR's legitimacy as a real Gibson.

Relax, we're all family here.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Les Paul using the neck pup + high gain metal tube amp with no pedals can = tones similar to Matamp/Orange

Mr. Foxen

How does that work when Orange and Matamp are low gain?

clockwork green

Is this an implication that Matamps are muddy? Mine aren't but I've never played through a vintage one although I wouldn't call the vintage Orange I've played through muddy. My Mat's are Plexi bright or anything like that but they certainly are clear, especially at high volume which is the only way to play one.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Mr. Foxen

Vintage ones are squeaky clean too, maybe bit compressed if valve rectified ones pushed, but not tried those. Basically the muddy distorted thing is from that numpty bodging 6550 into EL34 amps to sell them as bass amps so they are all fucking up.