Pedals and volume change question

Started by franksnbeans, March 17, 2012, 10:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franksnbeans

This holy grail reverb pedal seems to raise the volume, but there's no volume knob, just a level of reverb knob. 

Can you give me some ideas on what can I do to keep the volume whether the pedal is off or on?

dunwichamps

Quote from: franksnbeans on March 17, 2012, 10:23:24 PM
This holy grail reverb pedal seems to raise the volume, but there's no volume knob, just a level of reverb knob. 

Can you give me some ideas on what can I do to keep the volume whether the pedal is off or on?

Might be too much dry level, the direct thing to do is to adjust the clean level in the pedal but you could try a simple resistive divider inside the thing to adjust the level

neighbor664

Other than that, how's that Holy Grail working out for you? I've been thinking of picking one up.

VOLVO)))

I enjoyed mine.

I got the Cathedral, though.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

I think you'll have to get a different unit. I will never again buy a pedal without a volume knob.

RacerX

Try running through the effects loop. Reverb works better there, anyway.
Livin' The Life.

bitter

Yeah that's a good tip. I bought a line6 verbzilla because I believed at the time a digital reverb would be best for black metal. I regret that purchase for a few reasons, but the volume (really wet/dry mix) is really difficult to balance. The more you increase the mix/level the less perceived volume you have because of how wet the signal is.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

franksnbeans

Quote from: RacerX on March 18, 2012, 11:06:17 AM
Try running through the effects loop. Reverb works better there, anyway.

Do you mean I should try changing the place in the pedal lineup?  Right now it's amp-tuning pedal-equalizer-holy grail-overdrive-guitar. 

RAGER

What amp are you running specifically?
No Focus Pocus

bitter

^ Yeah. Racer is telling you to remove the reverb from your current signal chain and place in the amp's effects loop (that is, if your amp has one).

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

bitter

^ Yeah, I was seconding your statement.  ;)

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RAGER on March 18, 2012, 01:45:19 PM
What amp are you running specifically?

Doesnt matter, it's a Crate with all those pedals in front of it!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

franksnbeans

RAGER

I don't know much aboot that amp but it doesn't look like it has and effects loop so You're either going to have to mod the input of the pedal as mentioned or experiment with different pedals.  I'll screw around with mine and see if mine does the same.  is yours a Nano? or the big one
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

fallen

It would be interesting to build up a limiter pedal from a kit and put that at the end of the chain. Using multiple fuzz pedals it's always a pain switching between them trying to get the volumes to match.

franksnbeans

Do you think a compressor/limiter pedal would work?

Volume

I love my Malekko Chicklet, it doesn't have a volume drop.

neighbor664

I'm having trouble imagining when or why getting a bit of a volume boost when you kick in the reverb would be a bad thing. If say I turned on the reverb for a solo...win, hey bonus boost!
Other times when it would be less welcome just roll it back at the guitar. That's my two cents.
I think the bigger puzzle is what is wrong with your other pedals/amp that they don't run as strong.

franksnbeans

I know, you think the reverb boost would be cool for leads.  I don't use it all the time and it sounds okay, but the other dudes whine like babies about the little tiny boost.  I mean we have totally different guitar tones...whatever

It may be a power issue.  I use a daisy chain to power the other pedals, and the holy grail has it's own power supply.  I thought the daisy chain did sound a little weaker than a battery.  I'll test that theory out.  If that's the case, how are those dc bricks?