Main Menu

Bread!

Started by NCR600, March 18, 2012, 07:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

Quote from: neighbor664 on June 27, 2017, 09:13:14 PM
Hostess made Wonder Bread, Twinkies and some other stuff. They went bankrupt a few years back. 2013? I think Kellogg's and a few regional companies picked up production and kept the name alive.
how do you go bankrupt selling wonder bread and twinkies?? it would be like going bankrupt selling beer. not possible unless you had some serious shady shit going on with the books.

Pissy

Their story was the union negotiations. The bakers union wanted more than Hostess would/could do.  They couldn't use scabs, so they shut down instead. Whoever bought the recipes and trademarks started over, not beholden to the union.

Vinyls.   deal.

stooge

all good
been to meijers today and got my wonder loaf
thanks for the info usually don't shop there cause walmart is way closer and cheaper
but i'll never forgive them for giving me bullshit info about wonder bread being discontinued 
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

Lumpy

Quote from: stooge on June 29, 2017, 07:09:07 PM
all good
been to meijers today and got my wonder loaf
thanks for the info usually don't shop there cause walmart is way closer and cheaper
but i'll never forgive them for giving me bullshit info about wonder bread being discontinued

Wonder Bread... you're 100% American. :D

I get awesome bread from the Polish bakery (North Side Bakery). Whole Seeded Rye, and "Granny's 100% Rye" (5 grams of fiber per slice!). So sturdy, you could shingle your roof with it. To make toast, I have to make two passes at the highest setting.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

Quote from: Pissy on June 28, 2017, 04:42:49 PM
Their story was the union negotiations. The bakers union wanted more than Hostess would/could do.  They couldn't use scabs, so they shut down instead. Whoever bought the recipes and trademarks started over, not beholden to the union.
classic hostile takeover. ive seen it happen first hand.

socket

My wife went to culinary school (waste of money - in her words) for pastry arts and ran a bread bakery for like 10+ years. She bailed when the bakery she worked at forever closed. I want her to go back to it but it just sucks. Hours, pay, etc. This thread REALLY wants me to convince her to quit her bank job and try again. I need to get fatter. I can't find good bread anywhere.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

black

Quote from: stooge on June 29, 2017, 07:09:07 PM
all good
been to meijers today and got my wonder loaf..

Every time you used that expression, all I could think about was this...

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

mortlock

ive been digging some seeded rye with eggs and steak lately for brek.

Pissy

Starting a starter again.  Made it on Thursday, and here Sunday morning it was all spider webby and stinky.  I'm skeptical as I've had false hopes of starters gaining steam quickly only to have those hopes crushed and indeed take about 10 days to get going. 

But I also left it outside on Thursday for about an hour to jumpstart the process, and it's promising.   so we'll see if it holds up. 

Had an internal request to start making bread again.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Making bread is great if you have people to eat it.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Today, my starter finally took off.  So nearly 3 weeks. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Because of cooler weather?
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I don't know.  It just kinda made liquid without bubbling.  I tried to add a little sugar, then a little yeast water- which kinda defeats the purpose-  and neither got it going.  Finally I got some whole wheat flour, and put the jar in a warm water bath and that got it going.  My theory is temperature, but now that it's going, it's active at room temperature just fine.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

It's the wild yeast in the whole wheat flour got it going I bet.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

i got this showing up now at my local grocery store. excellent sandwich roll. top shelf.

RAGER

Does the bag say Giuseppe's? 
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

sell by 10/10/22. Nice and fresh! good for many days ahead.

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on September 29, 2022, 12:08:49 AM
Does the bag say Giuseppe's?
it does. killer local bakery.

RAGER

For my hoagie rolls today I followed this guys recipe and except for the diastatic malt powder. Also I think my yeast might be iffy. It's been in the freezer but I bought it during "the great bread baking era". So the rolls were as fluffy but they definitely held up under the stress of stuffing and consumption

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Quote from: RAGER on March 01, 2023, 05:37:34 PMFor my hoagie rolls today I followed this guys recipe and except for the diastatic malt powder. Also I think my yeast might be iffy. It's been in the freezer but I bought it during "the great bread baking era". So the rolls were as fluffy but they definitely held up under the stress of stuffing and consumption

That video is going to change my life for the better.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Have you already ordered your Diastatic malt and bread lame?  I have.

Also check out Chainbakers YouTube if you haven't already.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Will do.  I use a razor on a stick for a lame.  I was going to look around for the malt.  But i'll order it if I have to.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Weird I'd never heard of a lame. I have used a fresh razor in the past or a freshly sharpened nakiri   

Very interested in the Diastatic malt powder. Or a couple grams of molasses.

I bought the lame cuz I haven't bought a tool in a while and this scratches the itch.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Looks like I'm going to get one from a bundle on Amazon.  I've wanted those proofing baskets to get that beehive look to a loaf.  So, that and the malt. 

If this works out, they will be the basis for tons of rolls like Kummelweck and dinner rolls aside from the hoagie grail sub roll. 

Wife wants me to make more bread.  
Vinyls.   deal.