Southern buttermilk fried chicken help

Started by libertycaps, March 18, 2012, 08:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

libertycaps

Marinate mine in buttermilk, 2 fresh squeezed lemon juice, pinch salt, pinch pepper, lots of cilantro, thyme & red pepper flakes overnight. Dredge in egg then flour and spices (thyme/salt/pepper/paprika.) Stovetop turned to 6 in an old school cast iron skillet with 1-1.5"'s of canola/peanut oil. Turn them 3 times til they get golden brown or slightly darker. I cook pieces for a total of roughly 10 minutes. Finish in covered pan in oven @190F for 3-4 hours to make sure 100% done. I've done 2 batches of deboned thighs and legs so far. I fucked this last batch up by dredging with half flour/half corn meal base. I don't care for the cornmeal. It works best for catfish, not chicken. I'll eat it, but not again.

Fried chicken is cheap, keeps awhile and heats up in the microwave well for work lunches. Plus i don't get sick of it fast, so i want to perfect it.
How do you prep/dredge/fry yours?

mertz

Didn't you see from the last thread I'm on a diet? Are you trying to torture me?

Demon Lung

Mix your favorite hot sauce into the buttermilk to set it the fuck off

rayinreverse

Buttermilk and hot sauce is how I make onion rings. Same principle.

RAGER

I'm kinda buzzed right now but......Chicken needs to be 165 degrees.  No need to finish in the oven for that many hours.  Just do a buttermilk egg mixture and dredge in the flour with copious amounts of black pepper with some some salt and garlic powder.  If you slow fry them in a big fry pan for aboot 30 min. that should be good.  Just don't get the heat too hot and watch for the color fried chicken is supposed to be.

Don't forget lots of black pepper.  You'll tell by the color of the flour dredge.  Better luck next time.
No Focus Pocus

libertycaps

30 minutes in the oil! I need another cast iron skillet. Thanks for the tips. Duly noted. More pepper in the dredge.

neighbor664

Following some of the tips on here and some from a show I'd caught recently I think I upped my fried chicken results.
I think a good litmus to add for fried chicken is when it's a few days cold it should still be appetizing, even without condiments.