Your favorite frontmen of rock

Started by diasdegalvan, March 19, 2012, 09:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diasdegalvan

Bon Scott

Always thought he was the embodiment of rock on stage still do. By all accounts a super cool man off stage too.

The Shocker

Quote from: diasdegalvan on March 19, 2012, 09:28:22 PM
Bon Scott

Always thought he was the embodiment of rock on stage still do. By all accounts a super cool man off stage too.

Trying to think of someone else, but yeah he's my favorite too.  Iggy Pop's good too.

Woody

Bon's definitely up there for me. Number one in rock would have to be Iggy Pop. Lux Interior, Lemmy, Phil Lynott and many others. James Brown is number one overall, though.

The Shocker

Quote from: Woody on March 20, 2012, 07:39:38 PM
Bon's definitely up there for me. Number one in rock would have to be Iggy Pop. Lux Interior, Lemmy, Phil Lynott and many others. James Brown is number one overall, though.

For a second I read that as Bono and I was about to tell you to get the fuck out...

Woody

Quote from: deaner33 on March 20, 2012, 07:45:12 PM
Quote from: Woody on March 20, 2012, 07:39:38 PM

For a second I read that as Bono and I was about to tell you to get the fuck out...

Bono is pretty high on my list of least favorites.

GodShifter

Some of the best:
Jim "Dandy" Mangrum
Freddie Mercury
David Lee Roth
Bon Scott

My favorite:
Franz Treichler of The Young Gods

The Shocker

Quote from: GodShifter on March 21, 2012, 12:14:34 PM

My favorite:

I don't know who he is or who that band is.

MikeyT

So many of the 50's Rockers were charismatic on stage that it would be hard to list them all, but I'll name three:        
               Little Richard
               Gene Vincent
               Jerry Lee Lewis

Beyond that, I like:

Iggy Pop
               John Kay (Steppenwolf)
               Cub Koda (Brownsville Station)
               John Fogerty
               David Johansen (NY Dolls)
               Rob Tyner  (MC5)
               Jimi Hendrix
               Grace Slick
               Ozzy, during Sabbath's heyday

Moby Grape- the whole band- musically, they were intense, but kind of loose & freewheelin' at the same time, and they projected that onstage. They really got down, and were fun to watch, imo.

I liked Joey Ramone's sense of humor. All the Ramones were amusing & cool. They presented themselves well.

Listening to Jim Morrison's fantastic vocals, you'd think he'd be a great front man, but when I finally saw some of the Doors' footage I was disappointed. The music was great; but Jim was just too weird (and not in a good way).

Mick Jagger started out good, but eventually turned into a cheeseball.
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

I,Galactus

Quote from: deaner33 on March 21, 2012, 02:24:38 PM
Quote from: GodShifter on March 21, 2012, 12:14:34 PM

My favorite:

I don't know who he is or who that band is.

must... not... LMGTFY...

The Young Gods are a very good avante-garde band from Switzerland.  They have several fine releases on Ipecac Recordings.   Here is a streaming one.  I cannot attest as the frontman-itude of Herr Treichler, as I've not borne witness to their live performance, but I do enjoy their recorded output.

I envision a frontman as someone who plays no musical instruments beyond vocalization and sheer charisma.  I, thusly, deem Iggy Pop to be my favorite.  Henry Rollins is a close second.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

GodShifter

LMGTFY

^What's that?

Yeah, to me, a frontman is, indeed, a guy that doesn't play an instrument. So, his main gig, besides singing, is to get the crowd involved and sell the show. The guys I mentioned do just that. It has nothing to do with vocal prowess (though that does help), but more so, charisma and attitude. Hence, why Franz Treichler is my favorite. He's not a particularly great vocalist, but if you watch the TYG in concert, he is the show.

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Metal and Beer

Yeah, all the legends: Mick, James Brown, Iggy, Bon Scott of course, punk cats like Keith Morris, H.R. when he was still alive (lol), Joey Ramone, Angelo Moore....As far as more modern folks, (and maybe more "our" scene), I like Neil Fallon, Ben Falgoust, Scott Angelacos, Kyle Thomas, Ben Ward, Phil Anselmo..
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Dunedin

Jaz Coleman of Killing Joke is the most intense front man I've seen live. YouTube their live performances if you don't believe me.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

Dunedin

Ok, I was being a bit lazy earlier, I've gone and Youtubed the nutter for you.

GodShifter

I'm a big fan of Killing Joke's recorded material, but I've never seen them live  :(

I had tickets to the Absolute Dissent tour last summer, but our show was cancelled due to "health" reasons and never rescheduled.

Dunedin

Shame you missed them, the Geordie, Jaz, Raven and Ferguson line-up was pretty invincible in it's day.
Jaz has always had a penchant for apocalyptic doom laden utterances between songs. A friend saw him bring a lit candle out onto the stage once before going into a long ramble about it representing peace amongst nations or some such other new age nonsense. He then passed it out into the crowd repeatedly imploring them not to let it go out. Of course, some fucker blew it out immediately which I just thought was fuckin hilarious!

I'm going to find and post another live clip with a good story behind it GS, stay tuned.

Dunedin

Ok so on this one Jaz had actually fucked off to Iceland as he was convinced that the apocalypse was coming. He thought Iceland would be the safest place to see out the impending cataclysm. Of course, leaving his band to put a stand-in in some type of spacesuit in his place.

I think that could be one of the most mental frontman performances of all time.

The Shocker

Quote from: cat shepard on March 21, 2012, 09:54:57 PM

Quote from: Metal and Beer on March 22, 2012, 04:20:41 PM
Yeah, all the legends: Mick, James Brown, Iggy, Bon Scott of course, punk cats like Keith Morris, H.R. when he was still alive (lol), Joey Ramone, Angelo Moore....As far as more modern folks, (and maybe more "our" scene), I like Neil Fallon, Ben Falgoust, Scott Angelacos, Kyle Thomas, Ben Ward, Phil Anselmo..

Yes on HR!

Fucking backflip!

This is just sad though

neighbor664

Though he often shared the front spot in my mind Steve Marriott has few equals.

gritty_fingers

(I'm only going to list the ones I have seen live)

To me the best frontman I have ever seen is Iggy Pop; I caught him on his 60th birthday with the Stooges and it was a fantastic show.

2nd choice would be James Brown. I saw in Oakland and he brought down the house.

I remember seeing Dave Wyndorf on the "Dopes To Infinity" tour and he commanded the stage. He was awesome. I don't know if he is the same anymore...

And the biggest surprise to me was John Spencer from the John Spencer Blues Explosion. He's not quite stoner rock but he ripped it up. It was definately one of the best shows I have ever seen.
"Ginger People"

GodShifter

Quote from: Dunedin on March 23, 2012, 05:36:39 PM

Ok so on this one Jaz had actually fucked off to Iceland as he was convinced that the apocalypse was coming. He thought Iceland would be the safest place to see out the impending cataclysm. Of course, leaving his band to put a stand-in in some type of spacesuit in his place.

I think that could be one of the most mental frontman performances of all time.

This thread has set me off on a huge Killing Joke listening marathon.

I have to agree that Jaz Coleman is one of the most focused, intense guys out there. He really gives himself to his performances. From what I've read, he's a tremendously talented musician, and is kind of a renaissance type guy in terms of doing many different things in the world of music and movies. When he screams, you can really hear the emotion and rage in his voice. He does nothing for effect; it's all very real for him.