I still suck at re-stringing my guitar

Started by Instant Dan, March 20, 2012, 08:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

And I am not afraid to admit it. :D

I just re-strung my SG and LP and went through two sets of strings on both guitars to finally get the job done.

It's almost an art-form in itself to re-string correctly.

Anyone else still have trouble or eventually get better?

The Shocker

Quote from: Instant Dan on March 20, 2012, 08:09:36 PM
And I am not afraid to admit it. :D

I just re-strung my SG and LP and went through two sets of strings on both guitars to finally get the job done.

It's almost an art-form in itself to re-string correctly.

Anyone else still have trouble or eventually get better?

I can't intonate one or even play worth a damn, but I can restring a guitar.  One good thing my guitar teacher taught me.

Jake

Sure, it took me a couple of years, but I can probably do it with my eyes shut these days.
poop.

Metal and Beer

Practice makes (almost) perfect. I can do it blind now, too, but I had to pretty much teach myself as a kid. I was a young shaver when Floyd Roses became popular and I learned the hard way how to deal w/ those, too...

Find a quick tutorial on them thar Yew Toobs and compile tips w/ your own learning experiences, you'll get the hang...
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

apekillman

Not completely off topic, but when stringing, say a les Paul or something similar, does anyone go through the tail stop from the headstock side and bring the strings over the top of the tail stop?  I think jimmy page did this.

RAGER

You mean wrap around?  Like a 54 Les Paul? yeah lotsa old timers do it and so do some others.  To sproingey for me. 
No Focus Pocus

Metal and Beer

The wraparound the ol' tailpiece thing was a way to raise the string height (and lessen the angle) betwixt the bridge and tailpiece, usually done on the old Melody Makers, Juniors and the like ? I could be wrong about the models but I think Gibson addressed that issue on later models (whenever that was..early 60's?)

....or I'm smooth up trippin'   ;D   (cloudy memory)

Mr. Foxen

Change I mae to stringing technique recently due to having a teching mentor now, is wrapping the string round the post, then pushing the end through the hole, so you pull the string tight first and make minimal turns of the peg, means less wear on the machine, and less turning.

Metal and Beer

My ol' method is minimum two complete winds and push the excess through the hole ensuring it comes out the other end underneath the top wind then tug it snug, ya mug. That last part may or may not be necessary but it's never been not necessary... (for the plainys I do three or four winds before the hole..)

He said hole...heh heh het het

bitter

I learned a method from guitar world that works but I think it was intended for fast, emergency string repairs...

Set the hole of the tuning peg roughly perpendicular to the neck. I'm guessing 45 degrees or so. Run the string thru the peg and then bend it hard backwards to crimp it. Then, loop it back over the string (behind the peg) and start to tighten. Kind of goofy but it works and I haven't changed strings in a long time.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

mortlock

im ok at it but its not my favorite thing to do..

rayinreverse

learned a hard lesson about my tele's tuners a couple of weeks ago. if you dont put them down the center hole and then bend em aroudn the peg, they will pop off at a show. all of your strings will do this almost simultaneously.
I have been playing guitar more than half my life, and this just happened a few weeks ago. It was eye opening, informative, embarrassing and a bit depressing.

mortlock

at that point in a live show you smash the guitar and make it look like you meant to have that happen..

VOLVO)))

I restring all of Dean's guitars for him.

I probably do a hundred a month...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Volume

Reverend pin-lock tuners are the shit. No more wrapping strings around a peg or any of that bullshit. I wish all my guitars had 'em.

RacerX

There are other brands that make locking tuners.

Don't need 'em, tho. Just do this:

Livin' The Life.

johnny problem

Buy a guitar string winder.  They make the job easier.

Mr. Foxen

I'd really rather people didn't do that, makes it a ballpain to get the strings off, especially if someone is a grot and they have rusted. Winding strings on neatly an evenly a few times round the peg should be enough, even when I use slippery Elixirs.

RacerX

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 21, 2012, 08:48:01 AM
I'd really rather people didn't do that, makes it a ballpain to get the strings off, especially if someone is a grot and they have rusted. Winding strings on neatly an evenly a few times round the peg should be enough, even when I use slippery Elixirs.

I don't ever have a problem getting the strings off—I just loosen each fully and straighten the end w/ a set of needlenose pliers.

Anyone who leaves strings on long enough that they rust onto themselves/the peg deserves whatever they get.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

RacerX

If your roadies let your strings rust, you should fire 'em.
Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

Too many winds around the post messes things up. Trim excess length first, when necessary.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.