Using instrument cables instead of speaker cables

Started by Jake, March 22, 2012, 01:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

How bad is it? I'm guilty of doing it from time to time. Should I have concern?

Part II: Why the heck doesn't anyone make speaker cables with 90 degree angle jacks? I push my cabs back against walls and this would help tremendously.
poop.

Mr. Foxen

If nothing broke, its OK, but stuff can break, not so bad for low power stuff, but push power through them and the thin core wire can heat up and melt and short against the screen, or go high impedance/burn through and leave you amp open. Plain better not doing it, put jacks on some mains flex, and it does the job better.

Dunno about angle jacks, but some cabs like putting their jack sockets down a tunnel which would make that annoying.

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Jake

Dunno yet. Probably get some quality 12 guage speaker wire somewhere. Or whatever this fattest wire is that'll fit w/ those plugs.
poop.

mutantcolors

Hemisaurus

Quote from: mutantcolors on March 22, 2012, 02:33:46 PM
Cut up and old extension cord, whammy.
Yes. Yes. Yes. ;D

I've been using speaker cables for instrument cables, lots of humming noise ;D

grimniggzy

When I looked into it, making your own speaker cable seemed more expensive than buying them.

Hemisaurus

I bought one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/YardMaster-16-Gauge-2-Conductor-Extension-Cord-120/16795132 or something like it, it was 2 core, but I think it was only $16 at the time.

So $22 for 120' of cable and say $1 per jack (usually they are a bit cheaper) a head > cab cord is going to be what 6' at the most?

Rean plugs $1.19 for large outlet

Switchcraft jack $1.94

Special 1/4" speaker jacks $2.19

now if someone would just tell me the cheapest place for bulk instrument cable ;)

chlorpromazine

would this work?
http://www.topmicrousa.com/60m2-02500.html

this is a closer match, but I think that XLR cable would work, too
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=25515

grimniggzy

Hemisaurus

Thanks I'll check 'em out.  :)

Right now it's looking like it's cheaper to buy 4 Proco 25' cords at $16 a pop than a 100ft spool of Proco wire at $70. I hate butchering cords, unless they're old and buggered, but if it's cheaper to buy premade than spools. Wish MF still had those $5 cords, they're about $9 a pop just now for 20' which I guess is still a better deal than the Proco, damn :-\

Hey I wonder if I could get anyone interested in splitting a bulk spool.

grimniggzy

Jake

Not that anyone cares, but I finished making a batch of cables with the angled plugs I got. Ended up using a medium-duty extension cord from Lowe's.

I've always thought that the more obnoxious looking one's cables/cords are, the less often other people end up assuming ownership of them. Hence the dayglo orange.

poop.

VOLVO)))

Any good? Where'd you get dem ends?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

Orange cables are hard to take by accident, and easy for you to spot them in the dark, too.

:thumbsup:
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Jake

What grim said. Yeah, they's some solid speaker cables.

Not sure if I'd use them with a cranked SVT, but I won't do that anyhoo.
poop.

jibberish

foxxen called it. an instrument cable is a shielded core cable. the core is meant to carry millivolts and basically no current, therefore it is usually quite thin. trying to run low impedance amperage through it will most likely melt it.

RAGER

Quote from: Lumpy on March 29, 2012, 04:02:57 PM
Orange cables are hard to take by accident, and easy for you to spot them in the dark, too.

:thumbsup:

I use red ones for the same reason.
No Focus Pocus

mawso

Quote from: Jake on March 22, 2012, 01:00:31 PM
How bad is it? I'm guilty of doing it from time to time. Should I have concern?

the shielding on instrument cable adds capacitance which from what i have read is not a very nice thing to do to your OT.  tho i've done it before and my amps were fine.  i think it's just something that you don't wanna make a habit of.

xayk

As a hypothetical - hi-fi aspirations aside - would using stranded cat5, such as http://www.mejiatryti.com/SpeakerCable/fivebraid.html, work for an amp to speaker connection?  It's less because I feel like twisting wires and more because... well, I don't really know why. Intellectual curiosity.

Hemisaurus

Using CAT5 for instruments or speakers? I don't think it's generally heavy enough for speakers, may work for instruments. Mic cable is generally two twisted conductors surrounded by a braid.