Main Menu

PUP spacing

Started by liquidsmoke, March 23, 2012, 02:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

DiMarzio says- "F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm)"

I just measured my Epi LP, over the bridge pup the strings themselves measure exactly 51 mm but over the neck pup they measure(E to E, or B to B in my case) exactly 48. So I *should* have an F-spaced pup in the bridge and a standard-spaced pup in the neck.

I am correct?

And unless my eyes are playing tricks on me it looks like the stock Epi pups are F bridge and standard neck.

The DiMarzio D Activator is cheaper to buy as a set but you can't mix and match that way, GRRRRR.

They also say- "It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance"

But who wants that?

VOLVO)))

Uh, they'll pick up the vibes regardless, homeboy...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

"It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance"

H00p! There it is.
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

bitter

Sorry, I meant to chime in sooner. I went through this exact situation with my hagstrom on the old board. In the end, the homeboys above me are correct. It doesn't matter that the spacing is a little wider between the poles.

I still think you can find  better pup options than the d-activators. They honestly did nothing for me when I tried some through my rig. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.  ;)
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

liquidsmoke

For best performance and the proper look I'm going mixed for an extra $15. I'm measuring the bastards first thing when I get them.

VOLVO)))

I... don't even know why you ask questions, you seem to know what's best without our opinion, but you have us give it to you anyway so you can pretty much say "I'M GONNA DO WHAT I WANT."

Pissing ~~~~~~~~> wind

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 23, 2012, 03:08:31 PM

woah, smited to get you closer to doubles

liquidsmoke

Quote from: bitter on March 23, 2012, 02:54:29 PM
I still think you can find  better pup options than the d-activators. They honestly did nothing for me when I tried some through my rig. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.  ;)

Nothing at all? They weren't hotter? More trebly? Cut better? More crunch? More steel? Nothing?

I could go the safer route and get Duncan Invaders but they have been around for a long time and that makes me think they might not be high output enough. Listening to samples online of pups is mostly a waste of time. Duncan's website has samples but almost every pup sounds EXACTLY the same aside from the Dimebucker and the active models but it sounds like they had someone else playing on the Dime clip and the rig or micing also might be different.

I was going to order today, I think I'll wait.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/audio-samples/humbuckers_and/

Invader
http://www.seymourduncan.com/audio/support/humbucker/Track42.mp3

Dimebucker
http://www.seymourduncan.com/audio/support/humbucker/SH13BridgeDirty.mp3

Blackouts
http://www.seymourduncan.com/audio/support/humbucker/BlackoutBridgeDirty.mp3

http://www.seymourduncan.com/audio/support/humbucker/Track16.mp3

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 23, 2012, 03:06:45 PM
I... don't even know why you ask questions, you seem to know what's best without our opinion, but you have us give it to you anyway so you can pretty much say "I'M GONNA DO WHAT I WANT."

Pissing ~~~~~~~~> wind

It's just how I think sometimes. I do value the opinions of you folks. But seriously, I measured and as far as I can tell my Paul has an F and a standard so why shouldn't I go that route? It looks better and might sound a tad better. It's certainly not going to sound any worse if the strings are directly over the polls.

liquidsmoke

Also I'm taking bitter's advice for the time being and will not order the D Activators.

bitter

liquidsmoke

What guitar do you have?

I suspect that with my Paul just about any pup will be warm and fat enough, it's more steel that I need. I dime the gain knobs, not the volume knob, just to clarify.

bitter

I have a hagstrom super swede and I ended up with some GFS fat pats. I got to the point where I realized I didn't need Hi gain pups as much as I thought I did. Just needed a different boost (in this case a GE treble boost).

Those d activators were in a friends ibanez xiphos  ::) and the evos we in his buddy's jackson super strat.

liquidsmoke

http://soundcloud.com/liquid-smoke/riffs-bright-and-dark

One of my riffs, first with more treble and presence from the amp and then with less

Epi Paul Studio with stock pups 13-59 strings tuned B standard Laney GH50L full gain Eminence Governor SM57 into Tascam DR-03

I like the tone but I will be replacing the speakers with Eminence Swamp Thangs soon.

MellowSpace

B standard..

Bass pickups might be cheaper. In a bass.

Kidding.
Hard Walls & Little Trips

mutantcolors

I like that kind of tone, really saturated but not in a modern high gain way. The texture is closer to gravel than sand. If that one riff is representative of your style, I don't think you need any extra bite or definition or whatever. If you get more pick-happy I could understand.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: mutantcolors on March 23, 2012, 10:29:12 PM
I like that kind of tone, really saturated but not in a modern high gain way. The texture is closer to gravel than sand. If that one riff is representative of your style, I don't think you need any extra bite or definition or whatever. If you get more pick-happy I could understand.

I like it but it's a little too Les Paul/High On Fire/Dragon Green/Earthride at the moment although the mic picks up more saturation than I experience in the room.

It's tricky because I'm inspired by sludgy tones and old and trad/power metal tones.

The sludgy saturation is too much for some of the riffs on this track in my opinion-

http://soundcloud.com/liquid-smoke/the-veiled-one-guitar-only-b

Sorry about the sloppy playing.

liquidsmoke

The thought that getting a Les Paul may have been a mistake is creeping into my mind. How do you make a Les Paul sound less like a Les Paul?

edit: I haven't listened to Pantera in over 15 years but maybe something "shitty" like a Dimebucker would do the trick. I doubt there is a pickup made that could make a LP sound thin.

mutantcolors

I'll never apologize for liking Pantera or Dimebag. I'd say you're letting outside influence make you think that's a "shitty" choice. Do what you like.

I mean, fuck, I just admitted in the blasphemy thread I've never been happier with my guitar tone, and I'm using a cheap modeler with an MXR dist 3. Go fig.

liquidsmoke

Use what you like and what works of course. I just tend to hear that the Dimebucker is a shitty sounding pickup.

I'll try less distortion on tomorrow's recordings.