is a fuzz pedal ever gonna get a chugga-chugga doublebassdrum type 16thnotetone?

Started by everdrone, March 23, 2012, 11:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

everdrone

for the heavy br00tal chuggingz, fuzz pedals dont do a "palm mute chug" - I just have not really heard it.  always sounds muffled, which is definitely cool in a black sabbath sort of way. but still not cool for the br00talz. I mean I just dont hear fuzz pedals in The Melvins, Mastodon, and others. is there a way to combine the "palm mute chug" with the violin-like-fuzz-mayhem?

I always think that fuzz pedal needs to go into a clean channel of an amp.  maybe that is another mythbuster that someone can help me understand?

would a fuzz pedal go good into my orange thunderverb 50?  into my epiphone valve junior at low low apartment volumes?  into my oxford tech 21 modeler analog pedal fo rrecordings, maybe then into my epiphone valve junior at low volumes?

ok, any insights are appreciated, I have so many questions, I know best thing to do is to just get the black arts pharoah which does sound great, but maybe yall can edumacate meee :)

thanks very much, I am so glad to see this forum is back in force like when I was a member of stonerrock.com a few years back, cheers :)

bitter

If you want the super tight chugs, ala death metal, then you don't really want a fuzz. The vibes are just different. But that doesn't mean you cant do it with a fuzz. DAM Meatheads (by all accounts) have monster chugability as does my Dunwich Fac off fuzz. It's just looser than my amp's hi gain and has a sputtery decay. 

You can run fuzz into a dirty amp all day. You just need to balance the gain like any other type of dirt box.

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

everdrone

thanks brutha, very cool!  the meathead looks awesome, I feel like I have watched all the youtube clips looking for a percussive palm mute chug but have not found it, maybe I am missing it?  maybe I am just too subjective,

anyway I appreciate the insights, any and all constructive criticism and feedback is much appreciated

I might get a black arts pharoah and run it through my epiphone valve junior at low volumes, it just sounds amazeballz, would prolly sound good with my thunderverb and 212 orange cab like you were alluding to, cheers :)  

bitter

^ Mark doesn't mess around. The Pharaoh should pair nicely with both of your amps. 

everdrone

thanks for the nod brutha  :)

I am on step one of the tone step program, step one is that I admit I have bad bad bloated gas, and a weak trigger finger (just bought my tech 21 oxford analog modeler pedal and a bunch of other gear)

Lumpy

Best metal chug type pedal I've tried was the Zoom Tri-Metal but there are probably lots of other good ones. That one was especially good though, IMO. They don't make it any more so you have to buy it used. Built like a tank though.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Volume

I dig the RAT for palm muted stuff. Then again I suck at 16th note chugging so I wouldn't know anything about that.

The Riffer

Glad you dig the Pharaoh, but I'll say this.....it does get tighter than the typical "fuzz" or muff style pedal.But it is by no means tight like a standard metal type distortion. Tight for a fuzz..
I'll second the Rat pedal, can add tightness to a dirty amp..as can a tubescreamer or a Distortion + ...Although those don't have the girth and adjustability of the Pharaoh..its always a tradeoff and your mileage may vary...
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

RacerX

Another vote for the Meathead. My chugs may not be very fast, but the pick attack is well-defined.
Livin' The Life.

apekillman

i haven't had good luck palm muting with any of my meatheads.  it gets electronicy feedbacky.  BUT, the pharoah palm mutes amazingly!  and stays quiet between chugs (where my meatheads did not).  the pharoah sounds great through my 78 orange or120.

Blueberry Lazer

^  Hell yes, great news! this has been my experience with the meathead as well. my meathead has something written on the inside about being tweaked with more mid-range. I could never get good palm mutes , i always used the boss hm-2 and it sounds okay but i am hoping to replace it or stack it with my pharaoh as soon as it arrives!

everdrone

I love my RatII, I use it for extra boost for my JCM900 50 watter, and my orange thunderverb 50.  to my ears it sounds a bit fuzzy but really only has characteristics of a distortion pedal and NOT of a fuzz pedal ;)  its a great pedal but I have a Melvins approach of not wanting to spend an extra $100 for the orignal rat proco type stuff that people dance on and rip off...

I am prolly gonna get the Black Arts Pharaoh in a week or so of my tonal contemplations for my low volume Epiphone Valve Junior recordings and maybe for my Marshall/Orange amps on my pedalboard, many thanks for the insights :)  I have been infatuated with fuzz pedals for a long time but have been broke for so long till now

I have listened to every meathead clip on youtube over the years and the tone sounds great for DOOM, maybe less so for my stonerrock/classicdowntunedrock in my sig.  I never could find a clip of great palmmuting with a fuzz pedal but palmmuting sounds better in a mix I will have to say.

Fuzz is not the first option I think of when I think of palmmutes for sure, but tone like QOTSA and now forum member's fuzz tones are pushing me over the edge:

Quote from: electric answer on March 22, 2012, 11:52:07 PM
Hey! Our EP (SANDVEISS) is out now and streaming here:

http://sandveiss.bandcamp.com/album/sandveiss-ep

Feel free to leave your comments!!

bitter

That's how it goes. Once you get into fuzz it's over. Full blown addict. I've had 4 over the years: EHX double muff, Earthbound Supercollider (also capable of "decent" palm mutes), catalinbread Manx loaghtan, and now the dunwich Fac Off (nice break from those muff variants).

everdrone

Quote from: The Riffer on March 24, 2012, 08:49:05 AM
Glad you dig the Pharaoh, but I'll say this.....it does get tighter than the typical "fuzz" or muff style pedal.But it is by no means tight like a standard metal type distortion. Tight for a fuzz..
I'll second the Rat pedal, can add tightness to a dirty amp..as can a tubescreamer or a Distortion + ...Although those don't have the girth and adjustability of the Pharaoh..its always a tradeoff and your mileage may vary...

so cool that you make em AND are a cool active member of the forum!  nice to have a maker that understands the specific sound of heavy fuzz really well  8)

everdrone

Quote from: bitter on March 24, 2012, 01:38:46 PM
That's how it goes. Once you get into fuzz it's over. Full blown addict. I've had 4 over the years: EHX double muff, Earthbound Supercollider (also capable of "decent" palm mutes), catalinbread Manx loaghtan, and now the dunwich Fac Off (nice break from those muff variants).

haha thanks

thanks all for the insights! apekillman hit it spot on too, sounds like meathead or Pharaoh would be my best choices for my QOTSA/sabbath/FuManchu needz...meathead is $$$ and I see users comments above about both, so...:)

everdrone

bitter

Best thing to do is get a meathead clone or build one yourself. A lot cheaper.

dunwichamps

meathead is a silicon fuzzface circuit so any FF Si clone can get you close just a few tweaks will get you whatever u want

fuzzfarmer

Quote from: everdrone on March 23, 2012, 11:52:50 PM
for the heavy br00tal chuggingz, fuzz pedals dont do a "palm mute chug" - I just have not really heard it.  always sounds muffled, which is definitely cool in a black sabbath sort of way. but still not cool for the br00talz. I mean I just dont hear fuzz pedals in The Melvins, Mastodon, and others. is there a way to combine the "palm mute chug" with the violin-like-fuzz-mayhem?

I always think that fuzz pedal needs to go into a clean channel of an amp.  maybe that is another mythbuster that someone can help me understand?

would a fuzz pedal go good into my orange thunderverb 50?  into my epiphone valve junior at low low apartment volumes?  into my oxford tech 21 modeler analog pedal fo rrecordings, maybe then into my epiphone valve junior at low volumes?

ok, any insights are appreciated, I have so many questions, I know best thing to do is to just get the black arts pharoah which does sound great, but maybe yall can edumacate meee :)

thanks very much, I am so glad to see this forum is back in force like when I was a member of stonerrock.com a few years back, cheers :)

What kind of guitar are you using, and what kind of tuning?  I think that makes a big difference.

everdrone

Quote from: fuzzfarmer on March 24, 2012, 02:39:21 PM
Quote from: everdrone on March 23, 2012, 11:52:50 PM
for the heavy br00tal chuggingz, fuzz pedals dont do a "palm mute chug" - I just have not really heard it.  always sounds muffled, which is definitely cool in a black sabbath sort of way. but still not cool for the br00talz. I mean I just dont hear fuzz pedals in The Melvins, Mastodon, and others. is there a way to combine the "palm mute chug" with the violin-like-fuzz-mayhem?

I always think that fuzz pedal needs to go into a clean channel of an amp.  maybe that is another mythbuster that someone can help me understand?

would a fuzz pedal go good into my orange thunderverb 50?  into my epiphone valve junior at low low apartment volumes?  into my oxford tech 21 modeler analog pedal fo rrecordings, maybe then into my epiphone valve junior at low volumes?

What kind of guitar are you using, and what kind of tuning?  I think that makes a big difference.

lol I tend to trust anyone about fuzz pedals that has "fuzz" in their user name  ;)

Live, here is my gear: GUITAR: gibson sg standard, ephiphone st standard with emg81/85, orange thunderverb 50, marshall jcm900dualreverb50watts, orange 212 closed back cabinet, G string decimator, proco ratII, tuner, AIC JC wah pedal.  only have room for 1 more pedal on my board.

BASS: rickenbacker 4001 jetglo, epiphone thunderverb, ampeg 410 cab, peavey tour pro 450 head, line 6 HD 450 head lowdown

for home recordings, I use: modelers/IRs, toneport line 6 podfarm reamping, many types of plugins, ezmixII, lepoulin plugins, metal foundry, epiphone valve junior combo, tech 21 character series oxford modeleramp pedal, I have 50 songs that are free downloads in my signature

I always tune to C# standard with 8gauge strings, with both my guitars, just like Tommy Iommi my hero ;)  for my Gibson SG standard it is less than 10 years old, I will likely put a seymourduncan C8bridge and pearly gates neck in it when I get the money. I tend to play music like Melvins, Mastodon, black sabbath, kyuss, fumanchu...

Thanks, any comments/insights/constructive criticism is much appreciated

everdrone

also, here is the thread that inspired me to make this thread and get excited about the Pharaoh, OP has same interests in music as me:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235521

fuzzfarmer

I use a Guild S-100 tuned to B standard, into a '74 OR120 or a '73 Model T, into Orange 4x12s.  I use either 12-56, or 13-58 strings.  I like to have a fuzzed out sound, but have crunchy palm mutes on hand when needed.

I've found most fuzz pedals have a flubbiness to it, that I can't stand when trying to palm mute, or they have that sound where it sounds like your cab is covered in a blanket.  I've had big muffs, blue beard, supercollider, megalith, etc. Then I bought a Pharaoh.  With my rig, the Pharaoh was almost perfect, still a lil flub.  So I explained to Mark what I was after, and he tweaked my Pharaoh. I ended up buying 3 of them.

Could be just my rig, because far as I know nobody else has the same problem, or maybe I'm just too picky, or playing style or whatever.

everdrone

Quote from: fuzzfarmer on March 24, 2012, 05:30:02 PM
I use a Guild S-100 tuned to B standard, into a '74 OR120 or a '73 Model T, into Orange 4x12s.  I use either 12-56, or 13-58 strings.  I like to have a fuzzed out sound, but have crunchy palm mutes on hand when needed.

I've found most fuzz pedals have a flubbiness to it, that I can't stand when trying to palm mute, or they have that sound where it sounds like your cab is covered in a blanket.  I've had big muffs, blue beard, supercollider, megalith, etc. Then I bought a Pharaoh.  With my rig, the Pharaoh was almost perfect, still a lil flub.  So I explained to Mark what I was after, and he tweaked my Pharaoh. I ended up buying 3 of them.

Could be just my rig, because far as I know nobody else has the same problem, or maybe I'm just too picky, or playing style or whatever.

thanks for the insights, great narrative there, sounds similar to my tone chase!

lol I may be picky/playingstyle guy too, but that pharaoh sounds pretty sweet!  Sounds better than the youtube clips I listened to for Leviathan, Supercollider,  Meathead, Fuzz Factory etc.   really great EQ balance and huge violin like tone:

earthbound supercollider:

black arts pharaoh:

black arts lstr:

dam meathead with alot of natural reverb ;) :

wampler leviathan:

Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker, to get rid of the EQ and lift the blanket off:

redwitch fuzz god II:

fuzz factory - I would not be able to control or dial this one in:

ZVex Mastotron Fuzz

I will prolly get one in the next two weeks - any insights/comments constructive criticism is much appreciated, many thanks :)

everdrone

update: made a late night purchase last night and pulled the trigger on a black arts pharaoh, the gold colored one from humbuckermusic.com  -- lookin forward to it, cheers :)