Repurposing old (rarely used) guitars

Started by clockwork green, March 26, 2012, 11:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

I have this 7-string my best friend bought me years ago and I very rarely use it. My friend passed away a few years ago so it's definitely something I'll never sell but I'd like to actually use it for something. I got an idea this morning that making it fretless would be really cool and always give it a special niche in my collection like using it to track solos or atmospheric stuff. It'll probably be expensive to do right but I'm okay with that.

Ever alter a guitar to give it a second life with a new niche?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Chovie D

stuck a clock in one and hung it on the wall(college days)

i still got a burnt neck and body(telecaster) I need to do seomthing with

VOLVO)))

Greenie, send it here. I'll do it. I'll replace the frets with some form of marker that doesn't alter pitch when pressed onto. I'll polish the board waaaayyyy smooth, and put some flats on it for ya. Is the neck bound?

Choves, you know how I feel about the firetele...

I've pulled frets out of basses to make 'em mellow...

I make a lot of my money buying old beaters, hunkin' em up, and sellin' em... It's a blast.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

If a guitar is beyond saving into a useable instrument, I bolt them to the wall in my favourite pub.

Hemisaurus

and my buddy Scott convinces the bar owner to let him have it, and turns it back into a working instrument ;D

or at least he would if you were on the same continent, every bar he plays with an interesting instrument on the wall, he wants to restore it.

Lumpy

The fretless guitar idea is awesome. I wanted to hook that up for my No-Good Guitar Player Who I Already Do Too Much Stuff For. Then I came to my senses (not about fretless guitar though, that is a cool idea).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

clockwork green

I've been watching some Bumblefoot and Guthrie Govan fretless videos and it seems like a lot of fun.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: clockwork green on March 26, 2012, 01:27:17 PM
I've been watching some Bumblefoot and Guthrie Govan fretless videos and it seems like a lot of fun.

Yep, it's ridiculous. Holler at me if you want me to go at it.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 26, 2012, 12:47:52 PM
and my buddy Scott convinces the bar owner to let him have it, and turns it back into a working instrument ;D

or at least he would if you were on the same continent, every bar he plays with an interesting instrument on the wall, he wants to restore it.

If he waned them he should have bought them when they were on ebay, I ship internationally. They are still mine so the bar owner is in no position to be giving them away.

Hemisaurus

Unless you pay rent for the wallspace, they're the owners now. ;)

clockwork green

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 26, 2012, 01:56:51 PM
Quote from: clockwork green on March 26, 2012, 01:27:17 PM

Yep, it's ridiculous. Holler at me if you want me to go at it.
Shipping on that from Oakland might be a bundle. This would be in May at the earliest...I've got a turntable and speakers to pay for in April.

Metal and Beer

I've taken junkers, put a decent P/U on 'em and used 'em for slide. The last one I had I just sent to Sunn0)))/GrimNiggza instead....
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 26, 2012, 02:38:10 PM
Unless you pay rent for the wallspace, they're the owners now. ;)

Er, no, they aren't, I already covered this with him.

grimniggzy

Quote from: Metal and Beer on March 26, 2012, 04:59:15 PM
I've taken junkers, put a decent P/U on 'em and used 'em for slide. The last one I had I just sent to Sunn0)))/GrimNiggza instead....

I heard she'll be comin' soon. ;D

And thanks again, bruthaman.

VOLVO)))

Take it apart, homie. Cheapens it a bunch.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

Yeah why not just send him the neck.

I was thinking leave frets in the first positions so you can still play straight chords, but fretless (starting where? 12th fret for sure, but maybe before then) for the far-out shit.

Which reminds me of something I read on talk bass... some dude was unhappy because his fretless bass playing wasn't pitch perfect, and somebody told him if he wanted perfect intonation, play a fretted instrument. If you're not doing slides and playing around with pitch 'variations' (;)), there's no need for a fretless. So have fun with it.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 26, 2012, 08:07:45 PM
Take it apart, homie. Cheapens it a bunch.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
That cat is hypnotizing me, I love it ;D