Is naming a band the worst shit ever or what?

Started by rayinreverse, April 13, 2012, 10:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

At_Giza

Quote from: koi on April 15, 2012, 12:33:00 AM
Quote from: mortlock on April 14, 2012, 02:07:30 AM
the beatles is one of the worst bands ever as well..

Is that a fact?   IMHO you just made one of the most retarded statements ever, as well..

While I agree with this, I'd have probably gone grammar nazi and said, "The Beatles are one of the worst bands ever as well."

Mainly because I prefer such statements like that to have at least correct grammar.

Oh, and, the name, Beatles, it's not a bad name. It's brain dead simple and memorable because of it. Kind of like Sleep being utterly brain dead, but still memorable.

liquidsmoke

The worst. If you don't want to use a name that has already been used you have to be really really creative. ALL of the simple one word names and almost all of the decent sounding two word names have been taken.

These days it seems like a lot of bands just throw some stupid shit together because they are too lazy or too cool for school to come up with a name that actually sounds good and fits their music.

A few examples of ones I like that are taken. Many more are gone from my memory. I've been working on this for about 2 years now. Grrrr...

Black Shield
Siege Engine
Barrow Wight
Stonemason

I have a short list of virgin names that I kind of like but using a name that you only kind of like seems rally lame.

The band name thing will be really interesting in a few decades. I think bands will just start using numbers.

Go on Google and type in random words and then band. It's depressing. It's probably a sign but I'm not reading it and will continue doing the music thing even if I'm mostly just copying other bands.

liquidsmoke

We are talking about trying to gig soon... still don't have a name yet. Looking like it's time to just pick something that none of us thinks is terrible but I hate that idea. Grrrr...

RacerX

Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 04, 2012, 12:35:26 PM
We are talking about trying to gig soon... still don't have a name yet. Looking like it's time to just pick something that none of us thinks is terrible but I hate that idea. Grrrr...

What? You, of all people?

Your band is now "Maze of Liquid Smoke"

You're welcome. Now thank yourself.

Livin' The Life.

clockwork green

So many bands are going to made up names and it makes sense...you can control the size, phonetics, even look of the word as well as hinting to other languages without the messy details of context and meaning. Still, so many are doing it that it's becoming a bit of a tired gimic.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

We did make the name generators if you recall.

Two word name
Two words with conjunction
Three word name

and if you don't like the name forward, try it backwards ;)

Lumpy

If you pick something a little weird, it's less likely that your name is already being used. If you pick something Very Metal, it's more likely somebody else already thought of it too. Think outside the bun. There's nobody else called "Abstractor" (Frank & Beans' band)

Also, more words = maybe more better, if you're trying not to duplicate somebody else's name
Witches (taken for sure)
Circle of Witches (maybe not)

But why not skip the word "witches" completely, there's already 87 other bands with the name witch in there somewhere.

It's not that hard. I think of weird band names all the time. Songs, not so much (heh).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

clockwork green

I can easily talk myself out of any band name.

Hemisaurus

Buzzard Or Acrobat
Orange In Anus
Green So Blue
Texas Black
Weed Angel

eyeprod

names with a color, like black or white can be cool sounding but border on cliche. I like a simple one word name, but those can be hard to come by. I insist on something easy to pronounce and hard to fuck with. Unusual, but not too weird. Kinda like when I named my kids. I also prefer a name with good potential for imagery that fits the music or is just fun to use.

I think the beatles are great rock and roll, but I never listen to them.
CV - Slender Fungus

natehusky

i think it is the worst, i hate it so bad i usually just go with the popular consensus is. that said ive been pretty lucky.

liquidsmoke

You reading this Aron? haha

Good points/ideas here.

I'm up for any sort of name that fits the band as long as we all like it. Yeah one word would be best but it's really hard unless you make it up as was mentioned, or maybe you pick an obscure REH Conan villain or something(I've thought about it). Metal sounding or not, witch/black/white/goat/etc or not, it seems like damn near every name is already in use, I've spent time over the last couple years Googling and searching metal archives to check individual names.

Not too cheesy sounding, we all like it a lot, fits our sound, preferably no more than 2 words, not already in use... damn near impossible.

I may play around with trying to make up a word.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RacerX on October 04, 2012, 12:44:53 PM
What? You, of all people?

Your band is now "Maze of Liquid Smoke"

You're welcome. Now thank yourself.

Even for a Blue Cheer tribute band that name would kind of suck. Who would even pick that as a username?  ;D

We are much more Candlemass/Ironman/Celtic Frost/Goatsnake/Orodruin/whatever.

Okay, I've got it, we are Goatdruin Frostmass.

Lumpy

So it's doomy, groovy, kind of 90s/2000 (not 70s)? Got any sample song titles or lyrics? Steal from yourself, that's one way to go. But also, lyrical content and band names should be somewhat related IMO (okay, it's not necessary but it's nice when it happens).

Personally, I like names that are a little 'off', which make you think WTF? UNSANE is a good example. There was a bandname from the old board... PIANO MOVERS. That is a killer name for a heavy band, IMO. Or go against type, instead of trying to make your band sound like a bunch of bad-ass sorcerors or whatever (CONFUSED LITTLE GIRL, another cool name I like).

What about picking a name that has some personal associations. Like for Sunn 0))) (he said he can't think of a band name) he could try looking for ideas in the firearms world. There are probably some good semi-obscure gun-related terms which would make a good band name (COCKHAMMER? Just kidding. Like a sniper term, or a type of bullet, or gun safety term) If you are really into Robert E Howard then great, otherwise look to a more personal reference (or maybe REH goes with the lyrics). If it's somewhat SF/sword&sorcery related, then make up the name of a planet, or a pet name for a weapon. Or steal an idea from a book. Even if it's a terrible book that nobody's ever heard of.

Another thing I like -- when bands make regional references. Don't name yourself for a Swedish fjord if you don't live in Sweden, IMO. Maybe there is a local reference (ED GEIN'S CAR or WISCONSIN DEATH TRIP are already taken). Say something about where you are from. You're trying to give people info about your band, with your name.

It's a lot harder to write good songs than coming up with a good band name, IMO. You probably have people telling you what to do, all day long. Here's an opportunity to do whatever the fuck you want. It should be fun.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on October 05, 2012, 02:00:57 AM
So it's doomy, groovy, kind of 90s/2000 (not 70s)? Got any sample song titles or lyrics? Steal from yourself, that's one way to go. But also, lyrical content and band names should be somewhat related IMO (okay, it's not necessary but it's nice when it happens).

Personally, I like names that are a little 'off', which make you think WTF? UNSANE is a good example. There was a bandname from the old board... PIANO MOVERS. That is a killer name for a heavy band, IMO. Or go against type, instead of trying to make your band sound like a bunch of bad-ass sorcerors or whatever (CONFUSED LITTLE GIRL, another cool name I like).

What about picking a name that has some personal associations. Like for Sunn 0))) (he said he can't think of a band name) he could try looking for ideas in the firearms world. There are probably some good semi-obscure gun-related terms which would make a good band name (COCKHAMMER? Just kidding. Like a sniper term, or a type of bullet, or gun safety term) If you are really into Robert E Howard then great, otherwise look to a more personal reference (or maybe REH goes with the lyrics). If it's somewhat SF/sword&sorcery related, then make up the name of a planet, or a pet name for a weapon. Or steal an idea from a book. Even if it's a terrible book that nobody's ever heard of.

Another thing I like -- when bands make regional references. Don't name yourself for a Swedish fjord if you don't live in Sweden, IMO. Maybe there is a local reference (ED GEIN'S CAR or WISCONSIN DEATH TRIP are already taken). Say something about where you are from. You're trying to give people info about your band, with your name.

It's a lot harder to write good songs than coming up with a good band name, IMO. You probably have people telling you what to do, all day long. Here's an opportunity to do whatever the fuck you want. It should be fun.

^this is great advice

We are not that groovy but there is swing in some of the riffs. Clean, somewhat gothic sounding mostly low range vocals. B tuned. Probably more '80s than '70s but we all love '70s stuff too. Not really retro in any obvious way but not that new sounding either. I would want permission to link to any of the rehearsal recordings. Some song titles- Red Dust, The Silent Child, Through the Forest(instrumental), The Veiled One, Ships Of Hell. S&S/fantasy, horror, occult(but not hail satan type stuff at all), etc.. Story telling approach I guess, I can't really write poetic type stuff and I'm not into writing personal lyrics.

Hopefully my band mates won't mind me going into some detail about this on here. I really like the name Cunning Priest, it's one of our song names but I want to avoid anything blasphemous. It's weird enough explaining the band to religious family members.

We actually have a song about a REH Conan story. Regarding gun terms and that sort of stuff, a 'great chamber'(people would say it's too close to Coal Chamber, oh well, Cunning Priest is close to Judas Priest, etc... it's 2012...) was an old term for a room in a castle. I like that a lot. I like some super heavy metal sounding names actually. I think Stonemason would be great, it sounds very heavy but it's taken. I also like Unbalanced Force, just a physics term but it sounds somewhat sinister yet not that cheesy. I can't believe that name isn't taken yet. I could rattle off 10 great names I came up with that are taken. I read LOTR last year for the first time and holy shit, so did dozens of other guys who have formed bands over the last 45 years, lol.

A name that is a little off as you put it could work but not anything too dumb or too off, it would still have to fit the music somewhat. The location thing probably wouldn't really fit.

Lumpy

(Pretty much said everything with the other post.)

liquidsmoke

Good stuff. I actually have looked at such lists of weapons, rocks, metals, etc. I'll do more. I've never thought about it before but Killing Joke is quite the clever name. Mortuary Drape as well. There are lots of choices but it does suck that most of the names I've thought up are already taken. Randomly something like Black Shield will pop into my head. That's a hip hop group of some sort. Black Aperture, taken. Siege Engine, taken. I can go on. I'll not though.

That medievality site is great by the way.

Lumpy

You know what you want, it's just a matter of time now.

It should be something that looks cool on the back of a leather jacket, that is the ultimate test.  8)

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on October 05, 2012, 05:23:49 AM
You know what you want, it's just a matter of time now.

And us all agreeing.

Quote from: Lumpy on October 05, 2012, 05:23:49 AM
It should be something that looks cool on the back of a leather jacket, that is the ultimate test.  8)

That partly depends on the art I think.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

clockwork green

Not to ruffle any feathers but I think pretty much all of the names mentioned are terrible or at least semi-terrible. I keep telling myself that being picky doesn't matter because they'll all be bad but that doesn't seem to work.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: clockwork green on October 05, 2012, 02:28:58 PM
Not to ruffle any feathers but I think pretty much all of the names mentioned are terrible or at least semi-terrible. I keep telling myself that being picky doesn't matter because they'll all be bad but that doesn't seem to work.

Judas Priest isn't terrible? Iron Maiden? Black Sabbath? It's all "cheesy" 14 year old stuff. How about Emperor? Mayhem? Venom? Pagan Altar? Type some random heavy metal sounding stuff into the search bar at metal archives and soak up the cheese.

Whoa that sounded defensive.

Okay, we'll go with a name like Lesbian or Super Goat Lord or Magic Carpet Stoner Rock BBQ Fuck or Ironic Orc Sword cause you know we need to let people know we aren't serious, cause reading Michael Moorcock is for gays.

I'm just taking the piss here.  ;D

rayinreverse

Im pretty sure there is a band called Lesbian.

eddiefive10

Corey Y

I'm working on two new bands right now and I'm not even thinking about names yet. I'm probably just going to reuse something from a previous failed band attempt for one of them. I agree with all the sentiments expressed that pretty much every band name sucks, until you get used to it or love the band. Unless you just have a good sense of humor and don't take it too seriously. When you sit down and start thinking of the names of classic rock and heavy metal bands, divorced from your nostalgia or knowledge/impression of the band, most of them are corny as hell. Then you say it or hear it or think it enough times and it just becomes a sound that represents a thing you like.