String Gauge vs. Note vs. Scale Length

Started by Hemisaurus, April 20, 2012, 06:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

I use 56-60 for low E in Standard tuning.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 23, 2012, 08:52:55 AM

Sounds about right...

...for a squareneck Dobro.

Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 23, 2012, 08:52:55 AM

:o
Some people use that size for B tuning, 6 or 7 string guitars. That is some serious tension. This inspires me to try like a 70 or so for B. I'm looking for more tightness and heavy metal kill power.

VOLVO)))

I just like the power and clarity...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

I hear ya. The only thing though is you don't have much string vibration travel with a string that thick. Is it really heavy sounding? What sizes do you use for the other strings? I can't imagine trying bends and what not with a set of 13s in E.

Chovie D

Ive used 70's and 80's tuned to A..they are almost like bass strings and sound really good when your mimicing a bass line.
56 not at all uncommon for my low E's and drop D's

I like 10's or 11's on the top in standard.

Hemisaurus

Thicker strings are generally richer in harmonic content, that's why some parts sound nicer on the B string, even though they could be played on the E (that's bass for the guitarists out there ;))

RacerX

Harmonic content aside, all that tension's gotta play hob with a neck, but y'know what?

It's not my guitar. Do whatever you want to it.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Just stuck a 64 on my junior for the low B. It's nice and tight but not ridiculo tight. Trying to get the action as low as possible without any fret buzz. Might go up a tad on the rest of the strings as well. I'm done with the floppy sound.

Those "jazz" sets trip me out. Do people actually use a 13 for high E? I suppose if you aren't bending and have super low action it's okay. I'm using a 13 for my high B but may try a 14.

Are baritone strings generally exactly the same as regular strings only longer?(and obviously thicker) I assume they are wound the same and work fine on non-baritones.

liquidsmoke

This baritone set seems strange to me. The 26 seems too light and the jump to 44 looks odd. Seems like it should be at least a 30.

I'm thinking 14-18-28-39-49or52-64 for B to B

http://www.juststrings.com/electricxlnickelwounddaddarioguitarsinglestrings.html

Hemisaurus

You may be forgetting scale length. The baritone is 4" longer, you can use thinner strings.

VOLVO)))

I use those strings. They're perfect...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

Quote from: liquidsmoke on April 30, 2012, 05:20:46 AM
This baritone set seems strange to me. The 26 seems too light and the jump to 44 looks odd. Seems like it should be at least a 30.

I'm thinking 14-18-28-39-49or52-64 for B to B

http://www.juststrings.com/electricxlnickelwounddaddarioguitarsinglestrings.html

I've been using those on Gibson's (mainly tuned to B but sometimes A) for a dozen or so years and I love them.  Still plenty of tension with the 26 but it's bendable as well.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

liquidsmoke

Quote from: clockwork green on April 30, 2012, 02:13:09 PM
I've been using those on Gibson's (mainly tuned to B but sometimes A) for a dozen or so years and I love them.  Still plenty of tension with the 26 but it's bendable as well.

That string does get bent a lot, perhaps it's intentionally a bit lighter in that set.

VOLVO)))

and I've only mentioned that string set to you about 15 times in the passed year...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Once or twice at least but I've only recently made up my mind to go thicker. It's a bit thicker than what I want so I think I'll be back to constructing custom sets again but it would be easy and cheap for sure.

VOLVO)))

Try the light baritone strings. .61 top.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

These?

A tad too light and almost exactly like these-

Which is more or less what I'm using now but without the 10 of course.

A baritone set somewhere between the light and regular would be just about right.

I'll probably get this

a 64, and a non-wound 18 to replace the 21.

EXACTAMUNDO