Melvins/Unsane - Houston, TX 04/20/2012

Started by Instant Dan, April 21, 2012, 03:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

Played at Warehouse Live and wished they hadn't played there because the place is right next to a police station so even though I am not holding, it is not hard to be paranoid.

Unsane went on first and this was my first time seeing them. Holy crap they sounded good. They opened with Roach off the new album. Chris' abrasive guitar sound was there (for you gearheads: It was a silverface 70's Fender twin reverb head with a Fender 2x12 and his old teles. Pedals were his old yellow DOD 250, a delay of some sorts, and a Boss Fender reverb).They did mostly a mix of fan favorites (Scrape, Sick, Committed, Alleged, etc.) and their new ones. They closed with the Flipper cover of 'Ha Ha Ha'. I was disappointed they did not play 'No Chance'. Vinnie is apparently in the hospital for something about his hip, so Coady did half the set and Dale did the other half. Then for the last two songs (Alleged and Ha Ha Ha) they both came out to play. Pretty cool.

Melvins came out and this was my first time seeing them too. I think they almost blew Unsane off the stage, volume wise. Opened with Hung Bunny and played mostly stuff off the albums Jared and Coady had been on (Dog Island, A History of Bad Men) along with all of the new EP. They did play Roman Dog Bird, Manky, and closed with The Bit. The one thing I was amazed by is they never stopped playing. Buzzo's guitar tone is righteous (still running those Sunn preamps/carver power amps into an Emperor 4x12, pedals were Boss ODB3, MXR Dynacomp, MXR bluebox, Boss DD-?).Did their little freak out at the end. I do wish they would have done more old stuff but they were there to support their new EP so it makes sense.

My only compliant is that I wish I would have worn ear plugs, now this weekend is going to suck.

If their playing in your town, I suggest seeing them if not for the Melvins but Unsane.

kirky

i was there too....and it was awesome...unsane stole the show imho....def. bring earplugs....

grimniggzy

Awesome review. very much appreciate you throwing the gear they were using in there.
I'll be seeing this Saturday.

DustinAR

Seeing them next weekend two nights in a row(Nashville, Memphis). Should be a good time. I've seen Melvins before but not Unsane, so I'm really looking forward to it.

grimniggzy

setlist @ the note on saturday was pretty ehhh
but melvins is melvins is melvins