Main Menu

Need a new bass amp

Started by OUTLANDAH, April 21, 2012, 03:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUTLANDAH

So, I'm in the market to buy a bass amp head. Looking to spend no more than 350$. What should I keep my eye out for? How much do those sunn coliseum
amps go for now days?

Hemisaurus

Peavey T-Max. I got mine for $200, they go for between $200 - 400.

blendable tube pre, built in crossover, 2 ohm capable, built like a tank.

OUTLANDAH

What were the old acoustic heads everyone here used to rave about? I've been out of the loop since original SR.com. I really have forgotten quite a bit when it comes to gear.

Mr. Foxen

What cab using with? Gotta make them work together.

grimniggzy

Acoustic 370
Sunn Coliseums Concerts or Betas
Peavey Firebass 700

These are all solid state I'm sure there are tube choices out there as well.

OUTLANDAH

No cab either... I was just going to wait until I picked up a head to start the search for that.

OUTLANDAH

But, I'm open to suggestions and links. So post them.

OUTLANDAH

Hemisaurus

Would littlerock be your closest craigslist?

There's a Peavey Nitrobass for $250 and an old Peavey Series I for $125

or

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/msg/2959983687.html

if he wants $300 for the bass and head together, you could probably flip the bass for $150 at least and get a cab with the money. Just thoughts.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: OUTLANDAH on April 21, 2012, 03:27:59 PM
How much do those sunn coliseum
amps go for now days?
I see a slave (no knobs) for $200 and the bass head for $350 on the craigslist.

I,Galactus

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 21, 2012, 07:01:12 PM
Quote from: OUTLANDAH on April 21, 2012, 03:27:59 PM
How much do those sunn coliseum
amps go for now days?
I see a slave (no knobs) for $200 and the bass head for $350 on the craigslist.
Those coliseum slave heads are great for bass or guitar if you're getting dirt from pedals.  $200 is a steal, IMO.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

fuzzfarmer

I know where there is a Peavey Mark III for $75.  Theres also one in a pawnshop around here with a 1x15 for $169

Fayetteville area

Hemisaurus

Quote from: I,Galactus on April 21, 2012, 08:56:18 PM$2
Those coliseum slave heads are great for bass or guitar if you're getting dirt from pedals.  $200 is a steal, IMO.
$200 for a single channel 300W power amp? If like you say you're using a pedal for dirt, you can get 1000-1500W for the same price new in a regular power amp.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 21, 2012, 09:30:41 PM
If like you say you're using a pedal for dirt, you can get 1000-1500W for the same price new in a regular power amp.

What brand and model? That's a lot of watts for the money.

bbottom

what kind of sound are you going for?

Hemisaurus

Quote from: liquidsmoke on April 22, 2012, 01:30:56 AM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 21, 2012, 09:30:41 PM
If like you say you're using a pedal for dirt, you can get 1000-1500W for the same price new in a regular power amp.

What brand and model? That's a lot of watts for the money.
Behringer, Peavey, Gem Sound, Phonic, and others, just check the $100-200 section of power amps on your favourite musicians site. I've no experience of the new lightweight amps like the iNuke or the IFR, but the EP1500 is there, and that's a warhorse, I know people bought it as a tideover measure, when an amp went down, or one of the larger EP2500 and have run them hard for years in a serious PA setting.

So for $200 you've got about the power of an Ampeg SVT4, about 2x300W into 8 ohm, or 2x450W into 4 ohms (2x700W into 2 ohm and 1400W bridged into 4 ohm), it's not a bad deal ;)

Mr. Foxen

Peavey IPR power amps seem pretty far ahead of the pack.

MichaelZodiac

That Kustom 300W head is getting good reviews, not sure how the availability is in the US.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

moose23

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 22, 2012, 04:14:17 PM

I wish these type of deals would pop up this side of the Atlantic.

VOLVO)))

I bought a Mark III today for a hundred bones, sounds great.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

moose23

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 22, 2012, 06:42:57 PM
I bought a Mark III today for a hundred bones, sounds great.

They're nice alright, bought and sound one for 100 euro a few years ago, just picked up a Mark IV a few weeks ago in trade for one of these, so about 100 bones again:

http://www2.uiah.fi/~jlummaa/se2200.jpg