Main Menu

EH Metal Muff

Started by liquidsmoke, April 22, 2012, 01:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Picked one up on a whim the other day for $50. I've only played it for an hour or so but with the top boost engaged it's quite thrashy, otherwise it seems to do an alright typical high gain amp type tone. Anybody here have one of these? If so what do you think of it?

VOLVO)))

Too much harsh not enough ball

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

There is plenty of harsh on tap that's for sure but so far I like this thing. Ordered an Amptweaker TightMetal unit tonight which I suspect will be even more to my liking.

bitter

I found most "metal" pedals to be too thin and harsh. Not that I expect anything different from them, but it made me wonder how to get that hi gain tone from other pedals. I like dirt and boost pedals, especially when the dirt can be used stand alone for a specific tone and then boosted to create that traditional metal tone.

I usually just use a nice muff variant and treble boost. roughly the same concept as the metal muff, but with more flexibility.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

liquidsmoke

They certainly have a reputation for sounding like complete shit. I've owned 2 Metalzones and after I got the second one I immediately remembered why I got rid of the first one years before. For playing high gain metal I'm finding that high gain tube amps often sound too tubey and not tight enough. Perhaps the really expensive ones sound better but I'm not spending crazy money on an amp again.

yesca

yah i got one the metal muff with top boost and it doesnt get that much playing time from me. pretty much what every one else said sums it up

At_Giza

Quote from: yesca on April 22, 2012, 02:57:47 AM
yah i got one the metal muff with top boost and it doesnt get that much playing time from me. pretty much what every one else said sums it up
Yep.

Although my friends use it more than I do.

nonoman

Love my Metal Muff. I keep the distortion at @ 10:00. Great sounding pedal.
No good deed goes unpunished.

moose23

There's good tones to be got from the Metal Muff but it's essentially a modded MetalZone and absolutely no relation to a Big Muff. Defo a keep the gain low type pedal imo.

EddieMullet

I like mine and use it a lot,  but if you're expecting anything warm and fuzzy from it, its not what you want, works great for Ministry type distortion, with a change of settings and a phaser you get a nice Van Halen/Randy Rhoads 80's kind of sound from it.

That said it can sound like absolute shit because you have to really mess around with it to find good settings.

Instant Dan

That main guy from The Sword and Dave Chandler uses one so that must count for something. I have heard that MXR 78 Badass Distortion is killer.

tombhex

I had one for about 3 hours. Absolutely hated it. It came in the mail from guitarcenter's used website and before the end of the business day I had taken it into the store and returned it.

Too harsh and hissy to my ear, and never had any kind of consistency no matter how I set my amp or which guitar/bass I used.

To each their own, but the Rat2 eats it's lunch.

liquidsmoke

Had mine cooking pretty good this morning. The trick is to have the top boost engaged but only have the knob around 9 o'clock or so to have just enough metal mids. This thing was well worth the $50 I paid for it. Will keep forever even if something else works better.

edit: messed with it more today and it's okay but it's still not doing the job. I think I at least need a thicker low B string though.

yesca

all this talk about the metal muff makes me wanna try it again! its just that it didnt really sound to good with my AOR

the diddler

I fucked with a metal muff for a few days a couple years ago, couldn't get it dialed in to my liking. The mxr '78 badass distortion is a cool sounding pedal, but I had trouble getting it to be loud enough if that makes any sense.   I got one of these a few days ago:

Weehbo Effekte Bastard.  Really cool thickballs high gain pedal.

liquidsmoke- eagerly awaiting your report on the Amptweaker pedal.  Both the TightMetal and TightRock are on my want-to-try list.

liquidsmoke

Tell us more about that Bastard Low End, I like the idea.

Hopefully UPS will have my TightMetal when I show up there this morning, they tried to deliver it yesterday when I was at work and needed a signature.

liquidsmoke

Okay, not keeping the Metal Muff forever, it's not heavy enough. I can take it back to guitar center or I can sell it to one of you folks for $50(what I paid for it used) plus shipping. First to reply in this thread gets it. It's the full sized one, not the small one.

the diddler

I've only really played the Bastard with the gain cranked so far- sounds so good, and I've got other shit that does low-med gain by design. I will eventually see how flexible this thing is but for now, the sounds i'm getting for heavy are shiteatin'grin-inducing to say the least.  The voice switch seems to be a 3way mid-high boost, less to the left, more to the right- lots of tone shaping options with this in conjunction with the low-mid-high knobs.  Lots of low end, as you might expect from the name, but it's easy to tighten it up- awesome for palm mutes and crank the mids for HM-2 territory rasp.  Tried to record some clips with my handheld digirecorder but they sound like ass- if my old lady leaves and i can really crank it, i'll give it another shot.   

liquidsmoke

Sounds like a cool pedal.