Main Menu

Which EH Muff to get?

Started by The Shocker, April 22, 2012, 03:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

Jesus they make so many. I think about getting one, but there are so many variants (even just with new ones) i get confused and buy something else.

bitter

Yep, especially when you break outside of EHX and look at other builder's variants (including DIY jobbies). You got any good music shops in your area? I'd go in and try every muff (variant or otherwise) you can find. It's the only way to find the best one for yourself.

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

clockwork green

I'd say none.  There are so many nicer models out there.  I got to try out the Basic Audio tour box a year or so back and got to try out a bunch of their stuff and they have many great muff variants.  The Wren and Cuff stuff and Skreddy pedals are just so much better than anything currently I've heard from EH.  
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

At_Giza

When it comes to EHX stuff, I have both a Big Muff and a Metal Muff. The Big Muff isn't even on my non-existent board, and I hardly ever use the Metal Muff. It's the only one I would recommend if you weren't going to go for the million other boutique pedals that have the Muff circuit in them with all the little bells, whistles, and improvements that the EHX stuff doesn't offer.

bitter

Quote from: clockwork green on April 22, 2012, 03:24:36 AM
I'd say none.  There are so many nicer models out there.  I got to try out the Basic Audio tour box a year or so back and got to try out a bunch of their stuff and they have many great muff variants.  The Wren and Cuff stuff and Skreddy pedals are just so much better than anything currently I've heard from EH.  

I've never owned an actual EHX muff, but are the stock EHX models completely inferior to higher end, boutique offerings? I've always assumed that EHX made big muffs as an affordable base that was still usable and everyone else just improved upon a good design.

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

liquidsmoke

I used to own the NYC one and I never really liked it that much. I have a supposed old model clone that is much better but I never use it anymore. I like true fuzz pedals for heavy rock and high gain sounds for metal and their Metal Muff sounds nothing like a muff to me. That's all I know.

clockwork green

They're not terrible or anything. They just benefit quite a bit from better construction and components. It's funny seeing people lust over green Russian's is funny because in the 90's most of my memories include people complaining about them breaking (myself included) and being too scooped.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Mr. Foxen

Think the green Russians were madly inconsistent, although one I sorted out sounded great, prob not useful in a band with guitars though (this was for bassist in Big Naturals, the scoop can delete you from the mix pretty easily). I think  the Bass Big Muff is the one to go for as cheap an good, handy options. But a clone with tone bypass would be nice.

moose23

Ram's head and Triangle clones are the best for guitar in my opinion. When I build them I put in a flat mids switch or tone bypass or just leave out the tone section altogether.

For bass Tall Font Green Russian clones with a mids knob added are the best (again imo).

If I was to buy an EHX one I'd see if I could get a black russian one second hand and get someone with a soldering iron to switch out a cap so you can have flat mids. That'd work for guitar or bass. Or you could get me to build whichever era of Muff you want for an affordable price..

Baltar

Actually the newest one is pretty damn good, Ronsound might have a few of his Hairpies left, totally nails a Tri-Pi.  Gearmandude does a good Muff shoot-out and the Tone-Wicker sounds really good.  If you're gonna go NYC, get one that was made before 2005, those still have the 2N5088 trannies.

http://www.ronsound.com

http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

The Shocker

grimniggzy

EddieMullet

I got the little big muff and the micro metal muff.

The price was right and I have no complaints about either.

Really depends on how much you want to spend.

Sam Hain

SpaceTrucker

^yeah me too I love germanium. it works for some things great others well. test and see. if your thicky.

The Shocker

moose23

The Big Muff 4 Germanium isn't actually a big muff, despite the name.

Ombrenuit

I've owned three big muffs:
A 2010 NYC
A black Russian
A green Russian clone

And ultimately I've decided I'm just not a muff fan. I use a fuzz factory and Univox super fuzz clone now and love them both.

My least favorite was the NYC. Nigh' unuseable IMHO. My favorite was actually the black russian. The green is good but not the holy grail that people make it out to be.

Lots of big muff clones though. If I were to buy another one I'd probably decide between the hoof fuzz, skeddy mayo, or a jumbo tonebender clone.

*edit* univox not Unicom. Fucking tired.

The Shocker

Quote from: Ombrenuit on May 04, 2012, 01:04:09 PM
I've owned three big muffs:
A 2010 NYC
A black Russian
A green Russian clone

And ultimately I've decided I'm just not a muff fan. I use a fuzz factory and Unicom super fuzz clone now and love them both.

My least favorite was the NYC. Nigh' unuseable IMHO. My favorite was actually the black russian. The green is good but not the holy grail that people make it out to be.

Lots of big muff clones though. If I were to buy another one I'd probably decide between the hoof fuzz, skeddy mayo, or a jumbo tonebender clone.

Hey SunnJake, hear that?  ;)

Ombrenuit

Quote from: bitter on April 22, 2012, 04:27:51 AM
Quote from: clockwork green on April 22, 2012, 03:24:36 AM

I've never owned an actual EHX muff, but are the stock EHX models completely inferior to higher end, boutique offerings? I've always assumed that EHX made big muffs as an affordable base that was still usable and everyone else just improved upon a good design.

You hit the nail on the head. Boutiques improve on the design but the difference in quality is pretty negligible. Ehx might be a little less reliable in the long run. They might also be a little "noisier".

There's lots of muff tones out there. I should add that muffs don't work on every amp. Post the equipment you'll be using, how you'll set your amp (dirty? Clean?) and a clip of the tone you are seeking and we could help you better.

The Shocker

Baldwin Solid State amp or Teisco Checkmate Solid State amps run clean, Rotation of 4 or 5 guitars both humbuckers and single coils, not sure what tone I'm seeking as stuff either matches the sound in my head or not.  I hate treble and bright shit.  My favorite fuzz (for now) is the Foxx Tone Machine with the octave off.

Ombrenuit

If you hate treble than avoid the NYC. A lot of people feel that muffs sound best on clean amps. I can say for sure that my muffs haven't worked that great on any of my amps (fender hot rod, tiny terror combo, orange 18w clone). But I tend to set them dirty then add fuzz. I also don't like the looseness of the bass frequencies on big muffs.

SpaceTrucker

Then throw it on the ground.. it'll be like the best one ever, it loses alot of stuff inside which allows magic to throw thru. wait... there is not magic sorry. just throw it out the window. thats the magic. with your LEFT hand.. cause you know god and all. he told me once... conquor fear and you are god(oh yeah!)