Can anyone confirm this is a fake for me?

Started by moose23, April 23, 2012, 02:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose23

Serial number is Z 0161259 and it's apparently Made in the USA.

Mr. Foxen

Isn't the logo totally int he wrong place?

Lumpy

Not sure, but I think Z serial #s are Made In Mexico?

If you have the serial #, look it up. There is a database for Fender serial numbers.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

moose23

The logo itself wrong but it's in the right place for a '69 thinline: http://www.gear-vault.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Fender-American-Vintage-69-Tele-Thinline.jpg

The pick guard is wrong for a 69 (standard tele pickup) Thinline.

Fender didn't make a Thinline model in the year that corresponds to Z0 = 2000 (MZ is Mexico)

Pretty sure the f-hole is too big.

Shouldn't be binding on the body either.

Lumpy

Jake

Pickguards on Fender Teles generally follow the body lines along the cutaway much more smoothly/evenly than that one.

Even if that is a model that I'd seen before (I haven't), RED FLAGS for sure.

poop.

Jake

That being said, it's kind of a cool amalgamation of diff't models of Telecasters. If it plays/sounds okay, and cost next to nothing, I'd actually consider it.
poop.

VOLVO)))

Neck plate, joint, string ferrules, upclose headstock and back of headstock pictures require for me to know if it's fake.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Jake on April 23, 2012, 02:57:23 PM
That being said, it's kind of a cool amalgamation of diff't models of Telecasters. If it plays/sounds okay, and cost next to nothing, I'd actually consider it.
So +1 ;D

Plug it in, does it make noise, if so it's real ;) Whether it's worth the asking price is another matter.

Jake

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 23, 2012, 02:58:00 PM
Neck plate, joint, string ferrules, upclose headstock and back of headstock pictures require for me to know if it's fake.

Really? For a model that (most likely) doesn't exist in Fender's product line?

Lightweight.  ;)
poop.

Hemisaurus

If you Frankenstein a Fender guitar from Fender parts, using different Fender guitars and Fender original parts, and create something that isn't available from Fender, is it a Fender ???

moose23

Exactly Jake.

A friend has it in his shop to sell it for someone else, told him I was 99.999% sure it's a fake from that pic. Asking price is 300 euro, I haven't played it so dunno what it'd be worth just wanted to make sure he knew it was fake. Came here to confirm my thoughts as I'm not much of a tele expert although I did think this one was glaringly obvious.

Jake

I don't think Fender does a thinline that has binding, so not a Fender body. The logo placement is a bit suspect, so whether or not it's a Fender neck is unknown.

Those are the big two Fender parts I'd be most concerned about being genuine, Hemi.
poop.

Hemisaurus

So if the body and neck are genuine it's a Fender in your eyes.

RacerX

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 23, 2012, 03:45:17 PM

Yeah, that's EXACTLY what he typed:  "If the body and neck are genuine it's a Fender in my eyes."

::)
Livin' The Life.

Corey Y

Burn it, using clean burning propane. If it turns into a fine black ash, it's a genuine Fender. If it burns to a course gray ash, FAKE!

Jake

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 23, 2012, 03:45:17 PM

No, I don't think that. Just that if it were a Fender factory made Telecaster body and Fender factory made Telecaster neck, you'd have a pretty good foundation for calling something a Fender I suppose.

All just my opinion, of course. I'm guilty of calling pretty much anything with that particular slab body style a "Tele" even though Fender holds that trademark. Kinda like I say "Kleenex" instead of "tissue" a lot of times.
poop.

grimniggzy

Really, IMO the neck on any bolt-on is the most important thing. everything else either doesn't really matter or can be upgraded fairly easily.
Again... IMO.

Lumpy

Baltar

Yeah uh, Dweezil has a Strat that Hendrix gave his dad and it's had like 3 necks on it, couple different pickguards, and electronics and pick-up swaps.  'Course the work was all done by masters in the Fender Custom Shop. 
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

moose23

Quote from: Lumpy on April 23, 2012, 04:31:47 PM
Partscaster.

that what I'd label it if I was selling an actual partscaster but this ain't even that

kirky

that headstock shape looks off to me....