Are new gibson guitars any good?

Started by franksnbeans, April 26, 2012, 03:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

Quote from: lordfinesse on March 18, 2015, 12:29:14 PM
Thanks for posting those links Jake. I didn't realize how long it had been since I actually looked at new Gibson guitars in a catalog or website. Holy shit they're pricey these days.

If I had $3500-$4000 dollars to drop on a guitar, it would probably not be on a new Gibson (although I admit I haven't put my hands on one... maybe it's the greatest thing ever?). If it had to be spent on Gibsons, I would probably try to find 2 really nice 1990-era Les Pauls.

If I had 3500-4000 to drop on a guitar, I'd buy a truck instead. 
Vinyls.   deal.

lordfinesse

Billy Squier 24/7

RacerX

Dude, if Gibson made trucks, they'd probably cost about 50 grand.
Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

I looked at an entry level Gibson at GC a month ago and the edges of the frets were sharp, like you would be bleeding after 2 minutes of playing sharp. Probably a fine instrument if you fixed that though. The Faded SG I got 10+ years ago new for $550 was very nice.

VOLVO)))

Ive charged people a hundred bucks to do fret jobs on brand new Gibbys. Come to think of it, i still charge a hundred bucks. Maybe it's time to raise my rate.

Their fretwork is shit. Seen way better on ten times shittier guitars.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

mortlock

you just summed up the complete existence of man kind in two sentences..

CID Vicious

Quote from: RacerX on March 18, 2015, 04:26:35 PM
Dude, if Gibson made trucks, they'd probably cost about 50 grand.

Um...you gone truck shopping lately?

Want a nice one?

$50k is cheap now.

Go look up the current value of a 1964 Edison Dime. ~$2.00 of silver today.

It was $.10 of silver then.

I had a very used Benz 240D. New in 82? $18k. A Corvette was cheaper.

Had the same year 300D. Enough to buy a Vette for the weekends and a Caprice for the weekend.

$700 & $800 used, respectively. Great used buys...is the current Benz E class Bluetech "not worth the money" because an ancestor from a different technological and economic era was "cheaper" then and can be had for relative peanuts on the used market?

The answer is that it's a combination of what you want and can afford. If you can't afford a new Kia dissing a new Benz because it's out of your budget is petty. Particularly if say Benz sold you a nice car at a Kia price.

BTW, when that dime earlier mentioned was actually worth a dime, the Corvette and Porsche 911 were sub $7000 cars, Beatles were like a grand, and Melody Makers and Juniors hung in pawn shop windows with a $75 price tag as per the Leslie West legends. Oh, those supercars ran carbs, solid state was cutting edge space age stuff, and etc.

Some folk sound like the guys I hear bitch about how acid should still be $4 a hit, 'cause that's what it was in the 60's. But then there are folks who swear the old Hemi Cuda was the bestest fastest thing ever, and that the new IRS, 4 wheel disc'd, EFI'd and Supercharged Hellcat is "new junk" despite having nearly twice the power and triple the fuel economy, etc etc...

Don't buy a Gibson. Go buy an Epi. Or a corksniffer special for the same money. Whatever.

I still like how people just do not care about Fender's $1399 Chinese specials at all, because a high dollar LP is so much more offensive :D
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual
You're just a face in the crowd!

Welcome to America,
Say goodbye to your rights!
(Yeah, right!)
They crept up behind them
And slit their throat left to right!

- Mettaya, "Welcome To America"

RacerX

Quote from: CID Vicious on March 20, 2015, 11:12:51 AM

Don't buy a Gibson. Go buy an Epi. Or a corksniffer special for the same money. Whatever.

Don't need to. I already have a Gibson and an Epi.

I bought both used because that's always been my M.O.

Also, I don't have Blues Lawyer level funding.
Livin' The Life.

Jake

A few thoughts:

I'm not following the collector coin and car analogies.

This thread is about new Gibsons and opinions/reflections on their value. Not what Fender is doing. Even if they are starting to leverage their name into charging more that the consensus value might be, one could make a strong case that Gibson opened that very door by getting away with it.

And just because you think some of us are not particularly pleased with new Gibsons does not mean that we are salty about not being able to afford one. That's both a huge oversimplification and a flat out wrong assumption.
poop.

VOLVO)))

I can buy an 80s diesel Benz for less than a new Gibson in most cases. Ill take the Benz.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

black

My Dad had an '80's diesel Benz.
But he played the coronet and french horn, not a guitar.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

VOLVO)))

They're fuckin tight.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

khoomeizhi

let's dispense the unpleasantries

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

RacerX

hm.

A 2011 on craiglist.

Pelham Blue. Gonna go check it out.
Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

That's the best Gibson color. IMHO.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RacerX

Shit, it's gone.

He's got a TV Yellow, but I'm not quite as interested in that.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Here we have the new 2016 Gibson Les Paul CM. 'CM' of course stands for Child Marker because they are hand finished by children using black markers.

spookstrickland

Quote from: liquidsmoke on March 18, 2016, 08:01:09 PM
Here we have the new 2016 Gibson Les Paul CM. 'CM' of course stands for Child Marker because they are hand finished by children using black markers.

That does look colord by sharppie.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Jor el

I can't be having ink fucking up my white tux.

What Would Scooby Do ?

Pissy

Who slipped pot brownies onto the snack tray at their think tank meetings?
Vinyls.   deal.