Are new gibson guitars any good?

Started by franksnbeans, April 26, 2012, 03:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franksnbeans

You got any advice?  I'm in the market to buy a real gibson, but I hear the new ones aren't made very well. 

bitter

That seems to be the consensus. The last LP stnd pro model I played did not justify the 2k price tag in the slightest.

That being said, I think Metal & Beer and The diddler will argue that good ones still exist if you spend the time to find them. If you can find 2 or 3 of the models you're after, try them out to see if they're worth the ticket.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Mr. Foxen

In the UK we get absolute last pick of them that are exported, so its more like try a dozen, and still be better off importing one through an unofficial source.

SpaceTrucker

Having bought a gibson from diddler I can safely say, yes good ones do exist. But for the pricetag I just don't get why they are regarded as the best to so many.

the diddler

For used Gibsons, I'd say look from the late 80's through the 90's- haven't found too many from that timeframe with problems, and that's before they started the various weight relief stuff with LPs.  Trucker- I think that one I sold you was a '98 maybe?  Anyway- glad to hear you're still liking it.

For new Gibbys, if you got a local dealer that provides an adequate environment to really try out the guitar- at volume- great, go for that.  Otherwise, and what I've done most recently, find an online dealer with a good return policy and preferrably one with hands on 'preview' of the specific instrument you're ordering.  Wildwood guitars will do that shit- get the guitar and play the fucker over the phone for you and answer any questions.

IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, EMB

SpaceTrucker

Well actually I sold it.. I just regret it that's why i still remember.

Jake

I wouldn't feel comfortable making a blanket statement: they're good or they're bad. Because really there's a lot of both out there in the marketplace.

My personal opinion is that when you look at their product line as a whole, often the instruments do not live up to their pricetag – so in a regard, that's bad. Is the Custom Shop Jeff Beck Oxblood Les Paul a good guitar? Probably. Likely even a great guitar. Is it worth the $17,000 Gibsons sells them for? I don't believe so. That may be an extreme example, but I think that the general premise holds true down the line.

But again, it's still very much a case-by-case basis situation.
poop.

Jake

Also, many modern Gibson manufacturing techniques have come under scrutiny. Feel free to add to this list...

• Swiss cheese weight relief
• PCB wiring harnesses
• Using primarily new-growth timber
• Not allowing the wood to dry / heavy, wet wood = Swiss cheese weight relief
• Baked maple fretboards (fuck that mess)
• Awful, awful fret dress
• Marketing unsprayed guitars as "Faded" / Unsprayed wood = very dry wood down the line

poop.

Ayek

My guitarist got himself a new LP custom for some reason. It sounds good and plays good. He said the wiring was awful shit for an expensive guitar.

The Shocker

My main complaint as a previous Gibson owner is you are paying way too fucking much for the name.  When I can get a SG Jr copy for $150 new that is better than a real SG Jr something is wrong.

I don't find that to be the case with Fender Guitars.  They still care about quality at least a little bit.

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

the diddler

I'd love to get a nice Edwards, but they seem damn near impossible to find

RAGER

I think most serious guitar players change out components first thing.  Not many are happy with stock pups.  that's why there's a huge aftermarket.  So feeling compelled to change out pups and electronics is kind of an automatic for me.  Even when I got my 78 Standard i changed out the pots and caps right away.  Much smoother control though I did leave the bad ass unpotted T tops because they fuking rule.  My issue is with the huge price tag.  What you're paying for there is the advertising campaigns and not so much the product.  But I've played 300 dollar Epis that I would've chosen over a 5k custom shop.
No Focus Pocus

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Jake on April 26, 2012, 01:54:35 PM
Also, many modern Gibson manufacturing techniques have come under scrutiny. Feel free to add to this list...

• PCB wiring harnesses
• Marketing unsprayed guitars as "Faded" / Unsprayed wood = very dry wood down the line

No cavity shielding, which Epiphone somehow manage.
A 8 year period of time when they didn't actually connect the screen on the pickup wires to earth, so it didn't function.
Not scarf jointing necks like a properly made guitar, which used to be to save a days glueing time because wood was cheap, now they are just pissing wood that will be nice when it is done seasoning up the wall instead.
Finish cracks up round the logo on bunches of them.
Using illegal wood and trying to make excuses whilst every other manufacturer is getting on fine.
Misplaced bridges

Credit to them for trying new things sometimes.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on April 26, 2012, 04:16:08 PM
Quote from: Jake on April 26, 2012, 01:54:35 PM

• PCB wiring harnesses

No cavity shielding, which Epiphone somehow manage.
A 8 year period of time when they didn't actually connect the screen on the pickup wires to earth, so it didn't function.
Not scarf jointing necks like a properly made guitar, which used to be to save a days glueing time because wood was cheap, now they are just pissing wood that will be nice when it is done seasoning up the wall instead.
Finish cracks up round the logo on bunches of them.
Using illegal wood and trying to make excuses whilst every other manufacturer is getting on fine.
Misplaced bridges

Credit to them for trying new things sometimes. Credit also for not being as massive cunts as RIC.

Hemisaurus

Wi not trei a holiday in Sweeden this yer ?

RacerX

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 26, 2012, 05:08:55 PM
So after all this, what's the reason to buy a Gibson vs. $210 Guitar Fetish or $150 Rondo? ???

Resale value.
Livin' The Life.

bitter

Quote from: Discö Rice on April 26, 2012, 03:29:07 PM
I think I'll add that Agile and Hagstrom make much better Les Pauls for the money.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product4927.html

http://www.hagstromguitars.eu/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=89&category_id=8&Itemid=5

I own both and will agree.

Quote from: the diddler on April 26, 2012, 03:34:52 PM
I'd love to get a nice Edwards, but they seem damn near impossible to find

I almost went this route but accessibility is like non existent. If not ebay, try the Japanese pro shop or possibly contact the US hq/distributors.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RacerX on April 26, 2012, 05:11:10 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 26, 2012, 05:08:55 PM
So after all this, what's the reason to buy a Gibson vs. $210 Guitar Fetish or $150 Rondo? ???

Resale value.

Nail meet head.

I have a shitload of guitars. None of them have any resale value. My tele and Guild, maybe, but that's it.

It doesnt matter if you're a player, but blues lawyers love resale value.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

QuoteIt doesnt matter if you're rich or if you never intend to sell the guitar, but gear-flippers love resale value.

fixed.
Livin' The Life.

Jake

There's something about a Les Paul that scratches an itch other guitars cannot.

I suspect it's growing up and having your musical landscape shaped by people like Jimmy Page, Joe Walsh, Billy Gibbons, Duane Allman, Steve Jones, Slash, etc., etc. with a Les Paul.
poop.

Hemisaurus

See the loveli lakes

bitter

Quote from: Jake on April 26, 2012, 05:50:04 PM
There's something about a Les Paul that scratches an itch other guitars cannot.

I suspect it's growing up and having your musical landscape shaped by people like Jimmy Page, Joe Walsh, Billy Gibbons, Duane Allman, Steve Jones, Slash, etc., etc. with a Les Paul.

Jake

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 26, 2012, 05:53:00 PM
That's about as smart as my bro-in-law that collects Star Wars figures as an investment.

Guitar is a tool, get the most economical one that gets the job done right, if you overpay, then you become the tool. If you drop, scratch or wear your investment you just dumped a pile of money.

See, I don't think of a guitar as just a tool. In a purely deconstructive utilitarian way, maybe. But there's a lot more to it than that. There's a large emotional component to guitars for many people. Very much in the way that art, fashion, automobiles, etc. can be for some people.

You're lucky that you don't seem to harbor that gene. If unchecked, it can be a cost-absorbing pursuit.

But I think calling someone a tool who does not strictly choose a guitar based on what the pricetag does or doesn't say is going too far.
poop.

Hemisaurus

The wonderful telephone system