Are new gibson guitars any good?

Started by franksnbeans, April 26, 2012, 03:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

Quote from: the diddler on April 27, 2012, 12:02:09 PM
If the lesbo bassist plays a fag guitar, do the competing gay vibes cancel each other out, or multiply exponentially?
Results in a bass cut effect, that's all.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RAGER on April 27, 2012, 11:27:27 AM
Quote from: franksnbeans on April 26, 2012, 11:59:43 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on April 26, 2012, 11:06:01 PM
Sweet fag guitar, Rager!

you mean Fag-er

what the fuck does that even mean?

You=bag of hammers

It sounds like you use all of the strings.

You got some Big pants to go with that?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Quote from: Discö Rice on April 27, 2012, 12:05:07 PM
Quote from: the diddler on April 27, 2012, 12:02:09 PM
If the lesbo bassist plays a fag guitar, do the competing gay vibes cancel each other out, or multiply exponentially?
Results in a bass cut effect, that's all.

Which is gay to the power of gay.

Hemisaurus

Just to remind you, in the UK this is a fag guitar.

tossom

^Heh heh, indeed sir!  I have a 78 strat and it has a fag burn on the neck there!

Back when I lived in Glasgow, 02-08, I played a few new SGs and from 04/05 onwards often found the specials nicer to play than the standard ???

A friend of a friend bought a new SG standard in 2004 and it was an utter dog compared to my 96 SG standard.  The frets were poorly finished off as mentioned earlier and it didn't have the same sustain as mine, which I guess was poor wood as the guy spent way more on strings than I did!

Guy I know who works as a session guitarist in Nashville told me he preferred his Dusenberg ricki copy of a 330 to to an actual Ricki, was a few years ago he told me that though.
"Beige rock"

VOLVO)))

Im partial to copies, something about being able to hurt them in ways you wouldnt want to hurt a pricey instrument.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

heytrid

I have this.......

As much as I love the look of it........ it does not compare in any way to my FSR strat I got (1 of 25 for canada only YAY) The electronics are terrible as far as I am concerned but I have not got around to changing out the parts, want to go with a p90 based pickup (I also have a 60's tribute les paul that is great).. Either way this was my most expensive guitar and well... it looks pretty haha.

Fender FSR for good measure

VOLVO)))

He IS wearing big pants, if you check the photos.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

I like the Epi LPC's a lot, but that jive turkey be smooth-up trippin'...
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

RacerX

Man, why even fuck with the JP Junior? Same string spacing/wider neck? Zero Fret? Automatic tuning system?

WHY?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Les-Paul-Junior.aspx

Stupid.

*spits on ground*
Livin' The Life.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

Then neither of you broke dicks should buy one. Solved.
No Focus Pocus

Beta Cloud

i'm a gibson lover; sg and les paul respectively.

i got a 13' sg-

gorgeous fretboard, excellent neck.

a 13' les paul, and 06' sg-

and a 78 LP-

as far as the new ones gotta' say that the 2014 gibsons i played were 'ok', but not worth the cash.
i played a sg standard, les paul standard, and les paul traditional.
my qualms with new gibsons...

1. they're eliminating the fretboard 'nibs' from some models. bullshit.
been feeling em' up them like nipple hardies since forever. super bullshit.

2. the horrific anniversary inlay.

why the fuck would someone do this to a guitar?

3. the ever exponentiating price of new gibson guitars.

i suggest you buy a used one; 2013 or older. plenty out there.

*also*
i think that most gibsons are better than epiphone, esp ltd, 'place mass producer here'.

my words.

why does it hurt when i pee?

heytrid

oh the 120th inlay is a million times better then the new signature on the headstock 2015's (with a huge price increase as well)

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Beta Cloud

why does it hurt when i pee?

RacerX

Quote from: heytrid on February 13, 2015, 01:34:45 AM
oh the 120th inlay is a million times better then the new signature on the headstock 2015's (with a huge price increase as well)

Yeah, that's on the one I posted. Hideous.
Livin' The Life.

Jake

I think it's bizarre to have to update the firmware on one's guitar. ESPECIALLY a meat & potatoes model, like the Junior. Probably best to save those features for things like the Firebird X (if they still make those).

Gibson still puts out some georgeous, well-appointed, and expertly built instruments. Just that those ones are the price of a nice used car.

In summation, fuck them.
poop.

The Shocker

Zero frets used to be a cheap guitar thing so the nut didn't have to be filed perfectly.  Love how Gibson spins (in a marketing sense) theirs to make it seem like something awesome.  Seems like there will be a lot of them on closeout for cheap before too long. 

Pissy

It's gotta be tough to work for gibson corporate. From a customer standpoint, I don't know of many people that like Gibsons (which is a lot) that want them to innovate. All they want is the same things the been producing for decades in simple form. This doesn't take product innovation.  It takes manufacturing innovation.  Whoever dreamed up the Les Paul grease pen logo didn't get that idea from a fan of the guitars. No one thought the les paul signature on the head stock needed updating.

No one asked for a zero fret.

No one asked for robotic tuners ten years ago.

No one asked for anniversary inlay.

Maybe people asked for a lighter les paul, leading to a chambered body.

They did ask for the holy grail burst as true to form as it could be.

They did ask for the flagship models to be more affordable.

Its got to be tough to compete with the used market being more desirable than the new market.  In competition with themselves from ten years ago. Leading them to 'continuously improve' while making the whole product line suck in the process.

The only way they can beat the used market is to kill it. The only way to do that is to make a better guitar offered for less than current used prices.
Vinyls.   deal.

VOLVO)))

What pissy said.

I'd never buy a gibby new. I'd just as soon buy an Agile, or even an ESP Viper or whatever the LP is called. Then all the tokais, burneys, etc floating around. I'd be happy to pay Gibson, if the guitars were priced reasonably for the quality... But until they can put a guitar in my hands for Mexican Fender money, with Squire CV quality, They can go pound sand.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.