SG Classic with P90's- any users?

Started by hayseed, May 02, 2012, 09:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

I may be trading up for a Gibson SG Classic (2009) with P90's this weekend. Its in perfect shape by the pics i have seen. I love playing my EPI SG but I have never had anything with P90's and never owned a Gibson. Anybody play with P90's in a SG? Anything I should be looking for flaw-wise in this particular model?
I figured I would ask you gear guru's first for your insight before I leap.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

The Shocker

heytrid

yeah after playing p90's it is really hard to use another pickup

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

The Shocker

Man, you got me GASing for one bad.  Anybody tried one of the Epiphone "Limited Edition" 50th Anniversary 1961 Specials?

hayseed

I am picking it up tomorrow morning hopefully. The guy has been a bit flakey so far. I am trading my Laney AOR 100 for it, I think it's fair. I dont really use the Laney that much since I picked up my Marshall. I'll get pics up ASAP ! Gotta get a case for it, I looked at the SKB case that I have for my Epi and it's going for $139! That will have to wait.

If I remember correctly, those 61 reissues are very similiar to the Gibby SG Classic? If that's the model I'm thinking of , they have a TV yellow one that  caught my eye.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

The Shocker

SoupKitchen

I love my SG Classic. The thick neck gives extra tuning stability, although the stock tuners are pretty cheap.  I wish Gibson would release the Classic with a small pickguard and a humbucker at the bridge. P90s are so versatile, though.

RacerX

Yeah, the only negative aspect to mine is the binding on the neck, which actually covers the top of the frets at the edges. 

I'd hate to see what the fret ends look like under there.
Livin' The Life.

The Shocker

Quote from: RacerX on May 04, 2012, 11:37:55 AM
Yeah, the only negative aspect to mine is the binding on the neck, which actually covers the top of the frets at the edges. 

Isn't that how Gibson does all of their binding?

Fuhgawz

I have one! I love the way it plays! I really like the P90 sound, but I did change out the bridge P90 for a DiMarzio Virtual P90, because it would hum like crazy with gain.

mutantcolors

I tried 90s on a whim for something different years ago, and have never once looked back.

heytrid

Quote from: The Shocker on May 04, 2012, 11:56:00 AM
Quote from: RacerX on May 04, 2012, 11:37:55 AM

Isn't that how Gibson does all of their binding?

That is how mine are. SG standard and a LP 60's tribute

hayseed

So I picked up the guitar on Saturday and didn't get a chance to jam on it until Sunday. First things first, it is in perfect shape- no buckle rash, no chips, no scratches! It looks like it was never played. Definitely a score. The guy i got it from Is selling/trading all of his Gibson SGs and Les Paul's for PRS McCartys. Hmmm...ok.

It gets5 stars for playability. I was very surprised at how much wider the neck is in comparison to my Epi SG G400. The P90 pickups sound so killer in this guitar. It just cuts through. They are a little bit noisy but I can live with it. I'll have some pics up this week.

The Shocker

Cool!  What other SG's is he selling.

Also, need pictures of your guitar.

mutantcolors

Yeah those SGs pretty much have a Paul neck on a thinner body as far as I know, hence their tone is a little more rippin'. I have a Hamer that has a wide fretboard neck, it doesn't take much to make a huge difference.

Also, everyone worries about 90s being noisy. Mine never were, but even so, how much silence are you really using? And if so...volume knob. No one hears that shit over your playing.

hayseed

I think that I may have got his last SG but he swapped 2 Les Paul's for 2 PRS's yesterday. I wish I could load pics from iPhone but for some reason I can't figure it out. I will try to post pics tomorrow.

Jake

poop.

The Shocker

Quote from: hayseed on May 08, 2012, 10:10:40 PM
I think that I may have got his last SG but he swapped 2 Les Paul's for 2 PRS's yesterday. I wish I could load pics from iPhone but for some reason I can't figure it out. I will try to post pics tomorrow.

Get the tapatalk app.  It will host pictures for you.  Super easy.

hayseed

Downloaded the App. Let's see if it works.

The Shocker

Jake

Thanks for the picture (especially the one without the saturated armpit sweat rings).

;)

Carry on.
poop.

RacerX

Quote from: Jake on May 09, 2012, 01:34:51 PM
Thanks for the picture (especially the one without the saturated armpit sweat rings).

;)

Carry on.

Dude, that's pure, 200 proof Rock SweatTM right there—3 drops would reanimate a corpse.
Livin' The Life.

Jake

If you're saying that pit sweat is strong enough to wake the dead, I'm inclined to agree.

*for the record, my body leaks sweat like Niagra Falls, so I'm just funnin of course.
poop.