Main Menu

JOYO pedals

Started by bbottom, May 16, 2012, 10:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

Does anyone have any experience with these? They are dirt cheap (Chineese) but they seem to get pretty good reviews.

Hemisaurus

Freaky, I was thinking about posting the same thing a couple of days ago ;D

http://www.joyochina.cn/en/product/fl_26.html

Heard good things, but never heard the Vintage Overdrive.

moose23

Never actually tried one but the demos sound good.

The Shocker

My cheap Chinese go to pedals are Biyang.  Who knows, probably made at the same factory.

Jake

I apologize if this is a rant, but I just checked out Joyo analog delay pedal and it was around $80. To me, it's kinda sad that that's a "cheap" pedal. So many boutique pedals out there commanding big money that we all just got used to higher prices, I suppose.

Is it because the vintage market is so out of control...? People are paying thousands for a box, and it leaves a wide-open spot for a boutique maker to charge, say, half of that for near copy. Problem is that half is still hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Sigh.
poop.

moose23

How much you expect or like to pay for an Analogue Delay? 80 dollars is pretty damn cheap in my book, their overdrives are about half that again...

Instant Dan

Quote from: Jake link=topic=5680.msg157989#msg157989 date

Is it because the vintage market is so out of control...? People are paying thousands for a box, and it leaves a wide-open spot for a boutique maker to charge, say, half of that for near copy. Problem is that half is still hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Sigh.

That's what happened to one of my favorite pedal builders, Ron Neeley. He offered reproductions of the old classics, with some optional modifications, at nice prices. He had to go out of business because the boutique market had gotten out of control with guys, who got exposed as frauds or had high waiting list times, getting more business than him.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Jake on May 16, 2012, 12:13:06 PM
I apologize if this is a rant, but I just checked out Joyo analog delay pedal and it was around $80. To me, it's kinda sad that that's a "cheap" pedal. So many boutique pedals out there commanding big money that we all just got used to higher prices, I suppose.

Sigh.
Try the Arion one then, allparts are selling them now, and it's only $65, and stereo ;)

http://www.allparts.com/Arion-Stereo-Analog-Delay-Effects-Pedal-p/sad-3.htm

or the Behringer, of course, only $23 (I think they have a deal with CoolAudio)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/497423-REG/Behringer_VD400_VD400_Effects_Pedal.html

BBD sets are expensive, hence the higher price of delays, I think CoolAudio are making clones of the old MN300x ones now, but still not cheap.

Corey Y

Delay pedals are kind of expensive to build. I've had a friend price out doing one for me before and the cost of parts was nearly the cost of a production pedal. Economy of scale and all that.

Jake

Oh believe me, I know $80 is pretty much nothing for a pedal these days.

I remember when strings were under $2/pack. I think I'm just getting old. Get off my lawn.
poop.

Ombrenuit

$80 is a good price for a delay or modulation pedal. Those have 5x - 20x the parts of your average fuzz box.

jibberish

ya, they have to use capacitor cascades to buy time for the delay in analogworld, lots and lots of capacitors.

i have a genuine nikko stereo analog delay ...ok well it's for the stereo heh.

i looked inside the memory lane 2. holy shit, that fucker was packed tighter than a cosworth vega engine compartment

The Shocker

Quote from: jibberish on May 17, 2012, 04:21:53 AM
ya, they have to use capacitor cascades to buy time for the delay in analogworld, lots and lots of capacitors.

i looked inside the memory lane 2. holy shit, that fucker was packed tighter than a cosworth vega engine compartment

Hope it was assembled better.   ;D

martha_KH

I have their OCD clone "Ultimate Drive".

Build quality is fine and sounds fine.  I use it for low gain OD with great results.

Glitchyghost

I guess no one here is familiar with the Freekish Blues/Joyo scandal?

Anyway, Freekish Blues was a boutique pedal company, charging upwards of a couple hundred bucks per pedal.  Getting rave reviews at all the cork sniffing places like TGP, etc.  

Welp, turns out duder was just buying Joyo pedals, repainting them, and then selling them for big bucks to suckers.

True story.

Worthless Willie

How come their shit doesn't have prices?

What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

mutantcolors

Quote from: koi on May 17, 2012, 10:18:31 PM
I guess no one here is familiar with the Freekish Blues/Joyo scandal?

Anyway, Freekish Blues was a boutique pedal company, charging upwards of a couple hundred bucks per pedal.  Getting rave reviews at all the cork sniffing places like TGP, etc.  

Welp, turns out duder was just buying Joyo pedals, repainting them, and then selling them for big bucks to suckers.

True story.

I'd high five the shit out of that guy.

jibberish

Quote from: The Shocker on May 17, 2012, 07:57:47 AM
Quote from: jibberish on May 17, 2012, 04:21:53 AM

Hope it was assembled better.   ;D
HAH! lol no doubt. ya the memory lane was solid.  my neighbor picked a Cosworth up cheap once, it got bashed in the door or w/e. so i got to really look at it closely, but he got rid of it becasue it was hard to keep it running right. gotta admit that new little subaru rocketship is really packed too...

back on topic:digital stuff really REALLY made time delay cheap to implement. and now with memory/processor components really cheap and powerful, the sky is the limit. just sample in the sound like any old a/d converter and shuffle it around in registers , hold until needed to be mixed with the dry signal and spit out when it is time. and y'all can see just how cheap full digital effects units have gotten.

BUT..i do understand why some analog pedals are more desireable. i think it really gets different when the pedal is really loaded down heavy and doing a bunch of stuff. digital world craps out and sounds really bad just like with general recording levels. analog world just keeps getting crazier(still in a useful way too) the more you make it puke.