what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

demon gal

nothing exciting yet, just wanted to get this thread going.

I just got Crazy Streak by John Gilmore in the mail yesterday. I'm going to start reading it on the way home. I'm excited to read a novel, I've been reading a tone of stuff on photography and am burned out.

Amazon Discription:
CRAZY STREAK is a twisted excursion into seething sexuality, desperate alienation, incest and conscienceless violence; a book destined to be as controversial as Nabokov's "Lolita." The wreck that really begins the novel is also what ends it. Long past the settling of steel and rubber, the bodies and brains of the travelers are beaten and twisted by hate, lust, booze and the sick heat of the Southern California desert wasteland. This story is brutal in its realism. No fairy-tale romance or overly convoluted plots needed. It's not ironic or kitschy; it's certainly not begging to be loved. CRAZY STREAK is as believable as some of your worst, most confused and visceral moments.

EDIT:
OK yeah that book really sucked.

The Shocker

Just got through with Eyes of Prey by John Sandford.  I've decided to read the entire Prey series in order.

lowdaddy

two things:

charcuterie - brian polcyn and michael ruhlman
it's a cook book about the art of charcuterie which is sausage making, hams, dried, cured, and smoked meats, pates and terrines, etc...

a collection of stories by ray bradbury.  pretty cool but very long.  it's 1,000 pages and i'm halfway thru so i might put it down for awhile and read something else before coming back to it.  bradbury's hit or miss for me.  some of his stuff is really cool and creepy and some of it does nothing for me.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

frobbert

Paul Bowles - The Sheltering Sky
bite me

MadJohnShaft

My reading list is on The Obelisk forum, this is so confusing
???
Some days chickens, some days feathers

db3jed

Currently reading Phillip Jose Farmer's "Riverworld: Including To Your Scattered Bodies Go & The Fabulous Riverboat".
Just finished Stephen R. Donaldson's Gap Saga (5 books).
Next up is Stephen King's "Under The Dome".

Volume

Quote from: db3jed on December 07, 2010, 11:12:20 PM
Currently reading Phillip Jose Farmer's "Riverworld: Including To Your Scattered Bodies Go & The Fabulous Riverboat".
Just finished Stephen R. Donaldson's Gap Saga (5 books).
Next up is Stephen King's "Under The Dome".

Old school fantasy & sci-fi are the shit!

Was the Gap any good? I've finally gotten around to reading the covenant series. I'm on the 3rd book from the 1st trilogy.

VOLVO)))

Stephen King - The Dark Tower series. Life changer.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MadJohnShaft

The publishing industry is royally fucked - the mediashare blogs have RAR files with 1000's and 1000's of eBooks in the ePub format.  Oops.

demon gal

Those eReaders scare me. I get that they're convenient but there is nothing compared to cracking open a real, paper book. I bet a used book smells a lot better than a used Kindle.

MadJohnShaft

I'm a life longer reader, I've read a couple books a month since I was in 5th grade - and a hell of a lot more when I used to travel.  I lugged all those damn things around from apartment to apartment - with great devotion and caring - I used up half my living space in my tiny apartments housing all those books... so that I could read my favorites over and over.

However.

Paper books can kiss my ass, electronic books have two dozen features that make them super awesome superior.  I carefully outlined those 2 dozen features in the book forum at the pre-hacked stonerrock.com website.

The only thing they can't do is sit on your shelf for guests to think you're cool, which I am too old for now.  Or read in the bathtub.   I still have 4000 paper ones if I want to, though every month I am donating away the least-loved slowly but surely. 

I have a couple paper ones going now and just bought a few yesterday ("Little, Big" for me and something for my kid) , cause they weren't ePub yet.

peyotepeddler

Quote from: demon gal on December 08, 2010, 12:01:40 PM
Those eReaders scare me. I get that they're convenient but there is nothing compared to cracking open a real, paper book. I bet a used book smells a lot better than a used Kindle.

agreed, i love nothing more than grabbing a older copy of whatever i'm into from half priced books and enjoying the scent and intimacy

that being said, i'm reading "at the mountains of madness" for the 100th time

was in the middle of a chomsky outing, but for some reason, unlike zinn, he is actually better heard and seen rather than read, he is really dry:)

lowdaddy

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on December 08, 2010, 11:43:14 AM

The publishing industry is royally fucked - the mediashare blogs have RAR files with 1000's and 1000's of eBooks in the ePub format.  Oops.

speak english man.

freedom

Through the Dark Continent - Henry M. Stanley

nicster

I just finished "The Rational Optimist" by Matt Riley. It was kind of disappointing but it did make me think about the future of the global economy in a new way.

Next up, Steven Johnson's latest book "Where Good Ideas come From". I really like Steven Johnson so I have high expectations for this one.

NCR600

I've actually run out of things to read. It got to the point where I read Catch 22 4 times in this year alone, which I guess is testament to how readable the book is!

I don't want to buy more books (got way too many as it is) so I've been going round to my Dad's place and raiding his library.

You want to know anything about the history of the Chullora railway worksops, ALCO locomotive production or Lola racing cars, I'm your man.

the_choke

Im currently reading "White Line Fever" by Lemmy.. Awezome!  :D
Just finished "Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore" Good stuff

deleted account

demon gal

Next, this is coming in the mail. Can't wait.

The Shocker

Entertainment weekly has that book on their 2010 best of list, DG. 

I'm currently reading Husker Du: The Story of the Noise-Pop Pioneers Who Launched Modern Rock.

Dejube

just finished ~Hand me down world
And started ~ eat pray love

I need to add that Patti Smith book to my wish list  :)

DogsOfKarma

"The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mladinow

Gettin' my quantum physics on!
"Wise man say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza"

Discö Rice

You may also enjoy Michio Kaku's "Physics of the Impossible".
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

demon gal

Patti Smith's Just Kids is the best memoir I've read in years. A really touching, very sweetly written story. I highly recommend it, even if you're not a fan girl like me, and/or boy.

lowdaddy

re-reading dostoevsky's crime and punishment for the first time in years.  i've read the constance garnett translation before but now i'm reading the peaver and volokhonsky translation.  i love their translations; i've read their versions of several dostoevsky novels, some tolstoy, and some gogol.  you can't beat the russians and peaver and volokhonsky are great translators.

i'm also reading the river cottage meat book. it's written by hugh fearnley whittingstall - chef, farmer, writer.  it's a philosophical tome/cookbook about our relationship to the meat we eat.  he explores the extensive, "organic", good husbandry farming practices that he espouses and the intensive, mass procuction animal farming that supports the global hunger for cheap, shitty meat produced by unethical practices in horrific conditions.  just started it but it's got the hook in me.