Main Menu

Upgrading pots

Started by OUTLANDAH, May 31, 2012, 10:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUTLANDAH

So I'm going to be replacing my pickups in my dot archtop pretty soon which still has the stock pots/capacitors. The guitar is currently in the shop so I was wanting to go ahead and do the pots. Question is which pots should I change (volume and tone?) and what kind of resistance should they have. As far as the capacitors go I'm very clueless. Any suggestions would be of great help.

Thanks. 

dunwichamps

for guitars i like CTS, any caps will work really but I use M150s or OD716 often

OUTLANDAH

but what would be the resistance or whatever I need to replace with? 250k 300k?

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

anything from 250k to 1M can work, u can adjust to taste but 500k is standard

Baltar

1K are what they drop in old 70's Tele Deluxes due to their wide-range buckers.  I still need to replace my stock Eastwood pots but a simple treble bleed mod w/ Radio Shack caps and resistors will make a huge difference.  Specially if you're vol roll-off guy.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Danny G

I think CTS even makes pot kits that come with treble bleed.

But that's mainly if you need/would use that. The kit is more expensive vs doing it DIY. But if a tech is already doing this for you, you have the $$ and/or don't really trust yrsrlf with a soldering iron then have the tech do it.

I'd suggest searching the CTS site and see if they have any specific recommendations for yr guitar.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

OUTLANDAH

So would I just have to change out the volume or is recommended change all that pots out to meet 500k?

Hemisaurus

Normally you'd change all the pots out, but I guess there's no real reason you have to. Tone pots are generally only in circuit when you turn them down.