Main Menu

Talking Tubes

Started by Pissy, June 08, 2012, 04:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

What are the kids into these days?

I need some and I 'CE found that prices seem to be askew across the typical sites (tube depot, eurotubes).

I recall JJ's sounding good , though not lasting long and QC was questionable. Svetlanas sounded good for a longer period of time, Mullards were about the same as Svetlana's if I recall.

I'm speaking mostly of EL34's here.

Any insightful banter?
Vinyls.   deal.

bass sic

They were just talking about you yesterday in here.

I,Galactus

Quote from: bass sic on June 08, 2012, 04:32:50 PM
They were just talking about you yesterday in here.
Naw, man that's Lippy.  He used to ask "Can I have it?" everytime somebody posted something awesome.  

Nobody ever let him have it.  And now he's gone.   :-[

OT: Who knows what kids do?  I buy mesa's (even though they're re-branded and marked up chinese tubes) because mesa does the QC in house.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

dunwichamps

I use JJ all around, they did have issues with stuff during Rohs conversion a while back but nothing nowadays. I have had no problems.

Pissy

JJ's are the cheapest form of what I would buy from what I've seen. 116 plus shipping for 8 of them from Eurotubes.
Vinyls.   deal.

Mr. Foxen

I get mine from here: http://kh-audio.com/

They hook me the fuck up.

Quote24 x EL34b   USD8.58/pc x 24pcs = USD205.92
24 x 12Ax7   USD6.15/pc x 24pcs = USD147.60

The EL34 are great too, not just cheap.

Pissy

That is pretty cheap. Less than $10 a tube.

I imagine they ship from china, how's shipping and delivery?
Vinyls.   deal.

Mr. Foxen

Shipping from Hong Kong, shipping and paypal fees on top, $75 shipping on that, but there's a bunch of miscellaneous amp parts on top, its usually $50 so i must have crossed a threshold with this order.

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

Chalupacabra

I like the Valve Queen, got my Sovtek 6L6 WXT+ from her and were matched really well. Can;t say enough on how much I love these tubes. Great bottom end that really tight.

For Pre's in the first stage the V1 in my amp (which is clean) I use a Sovtek cause it's got a nice bottom end to it. My first gain stage I use a Tung-Sol which is killer, a really open tube with great dynamics and killer gain. In the second gain stage I use a JJ cause it helps compress the tone some and add's a little more gain. I don't like running the JJ in both cause it feels like a blanket over the speakers and a little shrill, and in the PI I just run a Penta Labs 12AX7 which isn't bad chinese tube, not balanced by the way.

I've used Valve Queen, Doug's Tubes and Tube Depot without any problems. DON'T buy off of ebay. If it's not NOS it's probably the second or third rate one's that are very micro phonic and usually POS.