Has anyone used circle k strings?

Started by hisheroisjon, June 11, 2012, 01:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hisheroisjon

If you ever need a .254 gauge string on a standard scale bass these guys have them. Jesus Christ.

http://circlekstrings.com/store/single_strings.html

Hemisaurus

Buddy of mine who goes down to F# or lower does, think he uses .145 or so.

He likes them, though he says he has had a couple of dead sounding strings from them, but he'll keep going back.

clockwork green

That sounds like its for one of those crazy 20 string or whatever where the fretboard is at least a foot across.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

hisheroisjon

From what I've read you can get down to about G# 00 with a .254, which seems kind of useless since there aren't really drivers to reproduce that, not to mention the human ear cuts off around 20hz.

eoin_not_ian

Heard about them. They sound like a good idea, though the relative cost of getting a set to the UK ruled them out for me. I like their concept of 'balanced tension' string sets, though the mismatched tension of traditional string sets never really has bothered me.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: hisheroisjon on June 11, 2012, 05:20:51 PM
From what I've read you can get down to about G# 00 with a .254, which seems kind of useless since there aren't really drivers to reproduce that, not to mention the human ear cuts off around 20hz.

Ah, but there are designs that expand on a drivers capabilities. A horn cabinet, unlike a ported cab, is designed to go below the resonant frequency of the driver. If you want a really interesting read, read the patents of Graham Holliman, for LF loudspeaker design.

The same buddy that uses Circle K, uses Accugroove and Schroeder cabinets, and is thinking about finding cabs to get him to below 20Hz. Ironically though, he just played his first gig as a guitarist last week ;D

neighbor664

Can't say I have. Nor have I tried 7-11 strings, Magic Market, quick Stop or AmPm strings.

hisheroisjon

Haha the first time I saw someone mention them I immediately thought of the gas station, I live in Phoenix and there is a Circle K every five feet. Literally a block from my house there are two across the street from each other.

mortlock

go to filibertos. buy me carne asada burritos. freeze them and overnight them to me in ny. thanks.

hisheroisjon

Dude, it's all about La Condesa, they have like 20 different salsas.

jibberish

Quote from: Hemisaurus on June 11, 2012, 07:35:09 PM
Quote from: hisheroisjon on June 11, 2012, 05:20:51 PM

Ah, but there are designs that expand on a drivers capabilities. A horn cabinet, unlike a ported cab, is designed to go below the resonant frequency of the driver. If you want a really interesting read, read the patents of Graham Holliman, for LF loudspeaker design.

The same buddy that uses Circle K, uses Accugroove and Schroeder cabinets, and is thinking about finding cabs to get him to below 20Hz. Ironically though, he just played his first gig as a guitarist last week ;D

it gets better. there are hybrid enclosure designs like H-PAS which actually create sub-harmonic resonances well below the driver's fundamental resonant frequencies. this is how you can trick little 6" long throw woofers in to playing below 30hz and 12's can make you puke heh

also active servo amps can force low freq speaker motion in small drivers too, like nice little studio monitors

EddieMullet

Circle K is the convenience store that comes in when the area gets too bad for 7-11 to stay.

There's one here that gets robbed almost on a daily basis.

justinhedrick

Quote from: EddieMullet on June 15, 2012, 10:26:56 PM
Circle K is the convenience store that comes in when the area gets too bad for 7-11 to stay.

There's one here that gets robbed almost on a daily basis.

That's about all we have in champaign. There are about 6 or 7 of them.

zachoff

Dude from harmony central and this other dude, Chris, I used to work with run the company... Or at least they do as far as I know.  I used to work with Chris about 15 years ago.  Dude's a ripper to say the least.  No idea if they're still running the company but if they are they're two bass players that know their collective shit.

I've never ordered a set because I'm cheap and like the convenience and availability EB Power Slinkys..