Main Menu

Low down on new Gibsons

Started by VOLVO))), June 13, 2012, 06:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

This ain't no insider information or nothin', but from personal experience and close up product inspection of what has to be several hundred instruments at this point. Avoid them at all costs. I've been waiting for someone who would be hard-headed enough to defy my warnings (franksnbeans,) that was close enough to me to allow me to rectify all of the issues that are RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX with new Gibsons. Well, our very owner ShockDean didn't listen to me one day, and decided to spend a pretty penny on this:

Now, I won't be posting any pictures of his until I start working on it, but for reference... ^^^^^

I'll just go ahead and make a simple list.

A. Fretwork - ABYSMAL. Uneven bevels. Poorly filed ends. Not polished to mirror shine. They all seem to be fairly level, I haven't gotten to set it up "as is," so we won't know until I do that. I noticed there is some sort of residue on several of them, it appeared to be rust at first, but I suspect it's just something that'll rub off. Not a huge deal.

B. Fretboard - The infamous TORRIFIED MAPLE. Honestly? It doesn't look half bad as a rosewood imposter, I can tell it's maple, and it's rather pale in comparison to a nice hunk of endangered tree. My issue here is that none of the edges are relieved in any way. They're quite literally SHARP. "Ow fuck, what was that?" sharp.

C. Finish - Nitro. Smells really, really, really good. That's pretty much the only upside to the finish. It isn't done poorly, but you can tell that isn't what it used to be. Paint overlay at the neck joint where the body meets the fretboard. The worst part about it, there is OBVIOUSLY a paint line where the fretboard meets the neck. A paint build up tape line. I could probably pick the nitro off with my fingernail at that point. It isn't feathered to be thinner, nothing. They peeled the tape and sent that motherfucker to the fret station. There is also some miniscule bubbling inside the cutout.

D. Sound - Acoustically? Sounds pretty damn great. It's loud, and resonant. Plugged in? Sounds like someone doesn't understand that grounding the guitar is 100% necessary. It's horrible. The pots aren't lubricated, the toggle switch is sloppy and the pickups lack all sorts of volume and OOMPH.

Overall? I'd buy an Agile... Shit, I'd buy two Agiles for the cost of this one Gibson.

Any questions?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

How do you really feel?  ;)

How does it compare to the Epiphone?

Instant Dan

So quality control went from rock bottom to now bottoming out? Makes sense.

I won't be surprised if lawsuit Gibsons start shooting up more in price along with pre-2005 Gibsons on fleabay.

VOLVO)))

The Chinese made P90'd Epiphone SG is a GOOD guitar. It only needs a little bit of lovin' and a setup, and perhaps some tuners. Otherwise, I love it, and might buy one myself in a less diluted cum color.  ;D ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Check out the shielding in there. Had a custom come through my mentor's shop than had none, not even paint.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on June 13, 2012, 06:31:40 PM
Check out the shielding in there. Had a custom come through my mentor's shop than had none, not even paint.

... No shit? I'll be posting full tear-down pictures, ASAP.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

It's a shame about those issues. I wont fault Deaner though, as there's something about those gibbys that no other brand has. I think Jake calls it, "the itch only a [real] paul can scratch". I wanted one about a year ago and tried a stnd/tradition pro (or whatever they called it) and it was really disappointing, albeit playable. I never got around to examining it real closely, but I wasn't impressed by it compared to its $2k price tag. The agile I ended up with for ~30% of the gibson's cost is really nice. 
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Discö Rice

I dunno man - With all those issues, if I were Deaner I'd just slug back a glass of piss and fucking return it. Agile... Hagstrom... etc. Fuck it - he heard all that before.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

The Shocker

Hardheaded and also bought it for an, ahem, discount...

johnny problem

I lucked out with mine.  Pick ups are outstanding (burstbucker pros), pick up selector and knobs feel great, waxed pots.  Finish is beautiful everywhere.  It plays better and sounds better than my friends Hagstrom Swede.  I was reluctant at first, due to what I heard, but from all the guitars I was trying out, I kept wanting to go back to the LP.  Price tag was more than inviting compared to a used.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: johnny problem on June 13, 2012, 07:24:13 PM
I lucked out with mine.  Pick ups are outstanding (burstbucker pros), pick up selector and knobs feel great, waxed pots.  Finish is beautiful everywhere.  It plays better and sounds better than my friends Hagstrom Swede.  I was reluctant at first, due to what I heard, but from all the guitars I was trying out, I kept wanting to go back to the LP.  Price tag was more than inviting compared to a used.

I'll take the Hag... :D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

franksnbeans

Yes, sunno, I sent back the sg standard.  The fretbwork sucked.  There was nothing sanded and all that shit was off-centered.

Are you serious about the Agile?  That's a good guitar?  I can't find an electric guild anywhere.  Are they the new equivalent of a guild?

bitter

Quote from: franksnbeans on June 13, 2012, 09:26:05 PM
Yes, sunno, I sent back the sg standard.  The fretbwork sucked.  There was nothing sanded and all that shit was off-centered.

Are you serious about the Agile?  That's a good guitar?  I can't find an electric guild anywhere.  Are they the new equivalent of a guild?

I've mentioned all this in other threads:

My agile is a 3000M, which is a slightly "nicer" model of the 3000 series (basically, thicker maple top). It was more expensive than other 3000 series but cheaper than my hag and came with a case. The hags not bad for the money, but the agile outplays it, has nicer hardware and pups/electronics, and better QC. Truth be told, I wish I hadn't bought the hag and dropped cash for a case and upgraded all the pups/electronics. The agile got it right straight from box without costing as much.

I don't play enough (or well enough) to justify a real gibby, but am more than pleased with the agile. Very nice for the money.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

Guilds are gettin' kinda hard to find, these days. Yeah, Ben, the Agiles get my seal of approval. Look at the neckthru rootbeer one if they still have it. Gorgeous...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

lordfinesse

Thanks for posting that Jake. Good to know. When not playing my beloved Guild, I flip between a Hagstrom Ultra or Super Swede (not sure which), an Agile, and an early 90s "1960" Les Paul
Classic (all belonging to Pissy, because he has furnished me with guitars and amps off and on for 20 years :)

Anyway, that early 90s LP is fantastic. Much like my Guild, it damn near plays itself. If I can get the $ together, I'd like to buy it from him. The Hag is 2nd.. Good but not great. Something about it just doesn't quite click with me. The Agile just feels like a cheap guitar to me. I don't know what it is. If I was looking to spend $800-$1.5K on a LP style guitar, I'd probably look for an early 70s Guild Bluesbird first, but if most early 90s "classic" series Gibson LPs play like Pissy's, I'd be looking at those for sure. My two cents, based on my limited experience with them.
Billy Squier 24/7

lordfinesse

^^that is a beautiful picture though
Billy Squier 24/7

VOLVO)))

Not-at-all-known fact, I bought my Guild because of your tone on Sea King.

Wow, those guilds are getting into the thousand+ zone, holy shit...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

in gibson's defense, they are at least modrnizing their precision milling equipment etc. probably shit that ibanez has been doing for 20 years heh. like so how can ibanez crank out thousands of those shit RG's, yet everyone has a very precise neck.  probably a $5million laser mill or w/e key mfg eqt is really what you need to do it right, that's how.

also, a good public shakeout is good for a somewhat rotting company. makes them accountable and fucks with their image. i also believe gibson needed at least one swift kick in the ass to get straight.

BUT, i also believe there are haters just due to the aura of gibson vs actually playing one and hating it.
(not talking about sunno, he evidently has a poor production piece there)

I like my studio. maybe it was from the day when they were made nice. i think late 90's was when i bought it. It plays great for me, but even it has issues.

A) It wasn't set up worth a shit when i got it. i grabbed it because the neck seemed truest, but the action was high and the strings did not all tune a perfect octave. i got that squared away myself after considerable dicking around. 
B) Now all thepots/switches are fucking up
c) developing some buzzes

Baxandall

I like my 09 Agile spalted LP (AL 3200 iirc) copy better than my 06 Gibson LP DC standard.

Jake

What model is that goldtop w/ mini humbuckers? Some sort of Custom Shop  LP Special reissue?
poop.

clockwork green

My last new Gibson was about 8 years ago but when I bought it I tried about 20 other semi-hollows that day, mostly other Gibson's, and I saw many of the same the Sunn O))) mentioned. So many of the guitars had fret and nut issues that anyone that had been playing for even a year would instantly recognize as way off. I've picked up $5000 '59 Reissues and seen completely amateur nut jobs...slots that aren't deep enough, slots that are way too deep or where one is at a clearly wrong angle. They have trouble doing stuff that most companies can get right on their $100 guitars. My semi hollow, and many of the hollow and semi hollows were better than the average Gibson because they were made in a different factory but it still had nut issues and terrible pickups but I always replace those. I love a good Gibson but their quality control and workmanship is terrible lately regardless of price. It would be like buying a new Mercedes and immediately taking it to an independent mechanic for a tune up and replacement parts.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

fallen

Good point about Ibanez. Years ago my friend picked up an amazing '70s Ibanez LP clone and the workmanship was top notch and recently I picked up a cheap Ibanez baritone and it plays great. The neck is awesome, it can sit for weeks and stay in tune (long scale guitars aren't my favorite). If Ibanez could be a real classic brand if they stopped changing their logo and headstock shape around. Also using a sub-brand name to release all of those shredder Vai and Satriani guitars would have helped.

EddieMullet

I was never a PRS fan, but I got one of those SE One models which are pretty much a Les Paul Jr. clone and really like it.  Mine is one of the older mahogany ones, which they don't make anymore, I modded it to add a tone pot.