SunnO))) current Euro tour

Started by MichaelZodiac, June 15, 2012, 11:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelZodiac

I saw a gig from this tour last night.

So SunnO)) was scheduled to play an old Napoleon-era fort in the middle of a forest here in Belgium. Got to the fort and noticed that the gig is on the courtyard. Aluk Todolo opened and started playing around when we arrived. Their set at Roadburn in 2011 didn't convince me that much but tonight they were not bad. The first time I saw SunnO))) it was in abandoned church and they only did the Grimmrobe Demos. That gig blew me away, the next couple of times I saw them it was always in a normal venue and I could never get really into it as the first time. Tonight on the other hand they ruled. Started again with some off Grimmrobe Demos before switching to Monoliths and Dimensions stuff. I had smoking some weed so the moment they started I locked in on the drones, feeling the vibrations like you would expect at a SunnO))) show. I sorta see a guy collapsing because the sheer volume after 15minutes or so. Attila comes on halfway into the set. Then they were really starting to get heavy. Instead of shrieks, he acted like a monk, leading the band to the next peak. I thought they could tear down a mountain with the amount of vibrations going on. More high notes come into the music and the more the band is going for the climax, the more I feel completely at ease. I'm feeling like I'm standing on the mountain they just tore down. The show was by this point with the amount of smoke, being outside and in the darkness, becoming more and more to look like a mass. They ended their set gloriously. The amount of energy -for lack of a better word- they emitted was staggering. It was definitely the best time I saw them. Apparently right before they ended 12 cops arrived fully packed, the vibrations of the gig could be felt 1k away...
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Dunedin

That sounds like a great place to see a band like SunnO))) is it squatted by any chance?
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

MichaelZodiac

Semi squatted, the city wants to build a youth centre out there. I mean it lies in a forest but there is a tram stop in walking distance (10min or so).

Stage side

Crowd shot

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

puddingpoejer

Great review. I couldn't make it myself but a couple of my friends went and were blown away. Sunn O)))'s soundscapes require a setting like this. Awesome.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Dunedin

Quote from: puddingpoejer on June 19, 2012, 09:45:24 AM
Great review. I couldn't make it myself but a couple of my friends went and were blown away. Sunn O)))'s soundscapes require a setting like this. Awesome.
You're right, it totally makes sense to stage bands like SunnO))) in settings like this. Great stuff!
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

giantchris

Thats a really cool setting for a show but considering the sheer volume and the force of air they are moving I'd be leery about seeing them in a building that was built 200+ years ago.

Baltar

Did anyone get pegged with a flying floor monitor? Those SUNN guys are dangerous!
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.