Main Menu

I need a pharoah fuzz

Started by OUTLANDAH, June 22, 2012, 04:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachoff

Not to bag on anyone or anything, but as far as I can tell from hearing my guitar player (Rowdybeer on here)... Supercollider > Pharaoh > Black Forest.  Then again, what do I know?  I'm just a bass player.

VOLVO)))

Supercollider is nice, but the Pharaoh takes it by miles!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hisheroisjon

I've had a few muff variations, the supercollider being one of them. It sounds amazing on bass but I found it kind of dull on guitar, but through a lower powered tube head into a 2x15 it was one of the best bass tones I've heard. I had a moho mods muff wayyy back and it sounded better on bass too, wish I kept it cause they stopped doing mods a couple years ago. Right now I use a musket and I like it better than both of em, for guitar and bass.

zachoff

My bass rig is sorta weird but I love it.  Contains not what's mentioned here, but oh well:

It's a Magnavox SVT to a similar era 810 (not flat, but 400W)...
Channel 1 is clean from the ABY and is always at 10:00 on 'A'.
Channel 2 goes to an EXH Mole cranked then to a Garmopat Vox V8-30 that's midded.  Maybe a little more than midded.  'B' on the ABY and channel 2 is at 12ish.
Makes me super happy.
Matt's tried the Pharaoh and the Black Forest and I'm sure he'd tell you the same... When we play, the Supercollider sounds best.  Just does.
His rig is an Ampeg V4 an a couple Emperor 2x12s.  One open back, one closed/sealed.

Other basses and rigs and guitars and rigs may sound different with other pedals, but with us the Supercollider wins.  As does the weird V8-30 for bass.

Lumpy

I like the Supercollider too (but the Pharaoh seems awesome too).

Anyway, everything makes a difference regarding your sound, and your fuzz is just one element in the signal chain... including your ears, and your fingers (playing style).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

MichaelZodiac

I had the chance to put my Supercollider next my friends Pharaoh, both gave great results with bass and guitar. But both have their own sound, my 2nd gen Supercollider sounded smoother and the Pharaoh spikier if that makes sense.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Lumpy

It does make sense. The Supercollider is (IMO) more "syrupy" (which I love)... or foggy. The Pharaoh (which I don't own) seems a bit more... raw? Gritty?

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

eyeprod

I want to make a clone of my personally modded big muff and have someone to try out. It's a beast on bass and guitar.
CV - Slender Fungus

The Riffer

Lumpy nails it. It is one part of a nearly infinite stew of variations. There is no "best". Just what works for you.

I think the main division point of the Supercollider and the Pharaoh is that the SC goes into really distorted territory, and sounds great with a cleaner amp, the Pharaoh is a less gainy device and works really well with a dirty amp. Two different approaches and really apples and oranges.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

bitter

Quote from: The Riffer on June 29, 2012, 03:09:12 PM
Lumpy nails it. It is one part of a nearly infinite stew of variations. There is no "best". Just what works for you.

I think the main division point of the Supercollider and the Pharaoh is that the SC goes into really distorted territory, and sounds great with a cleaner amp, the Pharaoh is a less gainy device and works really well with a dirty amp. Two different approaches and really apples and oranges.

I agree with that assessment of the SC. I too find it a little dull, and being more distorted, it never blends well with a dirty amp.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

OUTLANDAH

Didn't show up on Saturday. I'll be staring out the window all day today now.

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

OUTLANDAH

I gots it!

Lurve it!

Need to go get my real amp from my buddy to truly test it out, but it still sounds badass even through the crummy ibanez practice amp.

The Riffer

^ I am the riffer, and I approve this message.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB

hisheroisjon

Pretty fucking stoked to get mine!

FullCustom

Quote from: The Riffer on June 28, 2012, 03:38:20 PM
But to me, the most impressive players are the multi hundreds of mid level and weekend warrior types who work 40 in a shithole deadend job and play for the love of it..they choose to use my stuff and shell out hard earned blood money for it...that is really my proudest accomplishment.

This right here.  I commend you sir. 

Stonergrunge

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 28, 2012, 12:20:49 AM
I got a LSTR. I dig it, but nothing can bump my Pharaoh out of the way.

SunnO))), one question: is the LSTR too noisy when you crank the gain all the way up?

My main guitar is a strat so I would like to know how does it sound in that setting. I don't main a little bit of hum, which is typical with this kind of guitar, I just don't want a freaking wall of it.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

everdrone

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Stonergrunge on July 08, 2012, 07:57:04 PM

SunnO))), one question: is the LSTR too noisy when you crank the gain all the way up?

My main guitar is a strat so I would like to know how does it sound in that setting. I don't main a little bit of hum, which is typical with this kind of guitar, I just don't want a freaking wall of it.

The... strat may make it noisy. You honestly don't need to CRANK the gain, though. Use the volume, and back the gain off a little bit.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Stonergrunge

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 08, 2012, 09:02:46 PM

The... strat may make it noisy. You honestly don't need to CRANK the gain, though. Use the volume, and back the gain off a little bit.

Thanks SunnO))). By the way, I made a little mistake ("I don't MIND a little bit of hum") but nothing to worry about. So you're saying that it has too much gain?
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Stonergrunge on July 08, 2012, 09:47:52 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on July 08, 2012, 09:02:46 PM

Thanks SunnO))). By the way, I made a little mistake ("I don't MIND a little bit of hum") but nothing to worry about. So you're saying that it has too much gain?

No, I'm sayin' that you don't have to crank the shit out of it in order to have sufficient gain.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Riffer

High gain fuzz pedals seem to be finicky sometimes with the sum total of a rig. I don';t think you can really estimate how much overall noise until you try. Sorry.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB

dunwichamps

i never worry about noise from the pedals, just doom out!

eugenicscum

Man, Pharaoh is quite awesome. My bassist seems interested in Revelation too. I think you can expect an order for two pedals soon, so be prepared to ship to India if you haven't figured it out already!

the ponz

Aw man, I had a Pharaoh a few months ago but returned it to get a better amp (the pharaoh cost 3/4 as much as my old amp haha) but now that I've got a better amp I really want another Pharaoh! My big muff just isn't cutting it these days and from what I remember the Pharaoh is exactly what I want right now. By the way first post on the forums, hi all