Main Menu

Facebook band page help

Started by bbottom, July 06, 2012, 07:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

So I'm setting up a page for my band  Burning Ships. http://www.facebook.com/BURNINGSHIPSBAND

How do I go about adding friends to my page?

VOLVO)))

Check your facebook for answer.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

I'm having the same problem. Facebook wouldn't let me open an account using my name (it said I have to use a "real" name ??? WTF?? My name IS Lumpy Robots, fuckos!!!!!! How the fuck do they know what a real name is?) so then I saw the "Make band page" option, which I could do. But it's not letting me do jack shit with my account. There's not even a Search option for me, so that I can find my friends' pages. And when I get there, how the fuck do I "friend" them?

The only option I see is "Load Contacts using Email" which I don't wanna do (don't wanna open up my email account to Facebook).

I can't even "Like" stuff sometimes (does it have to be recent? That's the only thing I can figger?)

I already looked around Facebook for help and it doesn't say shit... it says things like "Use the Search option in the blue bar at the top of every page" -- NO IT'S NOT. There is no Search option on my pages. "Use the Add Friends option which is under the Build Your Audience tab" -- NO IT'S NOT... there is no Add Friends option on my band page under "Build Your Audience". I'm getting pissed, as you can see.

I thought Myspace sucked because it was hard to use, but I can see Facebook is about the same.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Glitchyghost

Band pages can't "request" friends the same way you can with your own personal page.

The concept of a Page is that it is an entity.  The model of Facebook is that you as a person are not going to get bombarded with stupid "friend requests" from entities (or, bands).

And personally, I applaud FB for that.   If I want to get posts from your band, I will search you out and Like you.

Create your band page, and then using your personal account, share the band page to all of your friends.   If they really do like your music, they will like your page, and it will spread that way.

spookstrickland

If you think all that sucks, wait until you try to add people as friends.  You are only supposed to add people you personally know.  How the fuck are you supposed to gain new fans that way?  then if you invite too many people they disable you from inviting anyone else for a week.

It's fucked up, Fuck facebook!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Lumpy

Quote from: koi on July 06, 2012, 08:33:06 PM
Band pages can't "request" friends the same way you can with your own personal page.

The concept of a Page is that it is an entity.  The model of Facebook is that you as a person are not going to get bombarded with stupid "friend requests" from entities (or, bands).

And personally, I applaud FB for that.   If I want to get posts from your band, I will search you out and Like you.

Create your band page, and then using your personal account, share the band page to all of your friends.   If they really do like your music, they will like your page, and it will spread that way.

I get that. But why wouldn't it let me start a personal page with whatever name I want? I don't wanna use my real name. But I see a friend of mine has a personal page with his band name (sorta) "Pas Musique". If he can do that, why can't I do Lumpy Robots? >:(  They can reject you for having a weird name?

/whiner

clockwork green

I'm so tired of hearing about Facebook. Anything to hasten its demise is fine with me, let's take twitter out too while we're at it.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Glitchyghost

Yeah, search me. I have no idea.  I know bands and bars who set up their pages as personal pages instead of entities.   Maybe they're grandfathered?   Just a guess.

Lumpy

Could be grandfathered -- the guy I'm talking about is a social media juggernaut.

bbottom

Man. After fucking with this for awhile I can honestly say that I miss Myspace

mortlock

whats going to be the next big thing??

Lumpy

mawso

surf over to your band's page - DON'T click on the "use page as" link in the menu, just surf over there normally using the search bar, because you want to be using facebook as your personal account

click on the down arrow next to "build audience" and then click on "invite friends"

it's not so hard :)

Lumpy

Quote from: mawso on July 07, 2012, 06:30:58 PM
surf over to your band's page - DON'T click on the "use page as" link in the menu, just surf over there normally using the search bar, because you want to be using facebook as your personal account

click on the down arrow next to "build audience" and then click on "invite friends"

When I log in, I'm at "Admin Page". Under "Build Audience" I have "invite email contacts" and "Create an ad".

If I am logged in, I can only view the Admin page view.

Somebody told me I can "Share" my event with other people... I just tried it -- it posts it the info on my page. That's not sharing. I need Facebook lessons :(

bbottom

Quote from: Lumpy on July 07, 2012, 11:31:23 PM

When I log in, I'm at "Admin Page". Under "Build Audience" I have "invite email contacts" and "Create an ad".

Somebody told me I can "Share" my event with other people... I just tried it -- it posts it the info on my page. That's not sharing. I need Facebook lessons :(

I run into the same thing.

neighbor664

I hope this shit brings the whole bands using facebook to promote stuff to a grinding halt.
There was a time when the lure of facebook was that you didn't get spammed by bands like you did on myspace.
Many of my friends are in bands, if they want to tell me about their shows they know my phone number. Any others I will seek out my damn self.

Pundan

I've hated Facebook ever since the beginning of time, but I must say after using it for the past two weeks I'm kinda starting to like it. Facebook isn't THE place to spread your music though, it's where all your "fans" can gather and read new information about you guys.So we try to link all users to Bandcamp when it comes to streaming media (because it's also nice to get more statistics on Bandcamp) and when it comes to news we try to get people to our Facebook page.

So first off I don't think FB is the best option to use just for spreading music, rather news about your music. However the more people exposed to your band page on Facebook, the more people find your music.

At the top bar of Facebook (where your name is, meaning you're logged in) you can press the arrow in the right corner to switch as if you were browsing Facebook as your band. That way you can search up people and friends and comment as "the band".

Lumpy

Quote from: neighbor664 on July 08, 2012, 01:23:11 AM
I hope this shit brings the whole bands using facebook to promote stuff to a grinding halt.
There was a time when the lure of facebook was that you didn't get spammed by bands like you did on myspace.
Many of my friends are in bands, if they want to tell me about their shows they know my phone number. Any others I will seek out my damn self.

The only reason I signed up was because I'm always getting invites to shows wit Facebook pages that I couldn't open. Maybe I'll just use it for that... because I hate the spying or data mining that they do, etc etc.

I tried to sign up for a personal account again (name: Lumpy Robots) -- they said if I scan a government ID and send it to them, they will verify that's my real name, otherwise "sorry for the inconvenience"  ::)

mawso

Quote from: Lumpy on July 07, 2012, 11:31:23 PM

Log in to your personal account.  Surf over to your band's page.  Click on build audience, and then Invite Friends.  Then invite everyone who might be interested.  That's all there is to it, stop trying to make a meal out of it.

Lumpy

There's nothing that says Invite Friends on my Facebook band page.

moose23

Quote from: Lumpy on July 09, 2012, 04:47:16 AM

You need a personal page to invite friends from, maybe try making up a page with a fairly regular name and then you can change it to Lumpy Robots afterwards. Try Lumpy Roberts for example.

mawso

Quote from: Lumpy on July 09, 2012, 04:47:16 AM

are you logged in as your personal account?

Lumpy

I dont have a personal account, as I already said. It won't let me sign up under the name I want, so I made a band page instead.

mawso

Quote from: Lumpy on July 09, 2012, 08:26:51 PM
I dont have a personal account, as I already said. It won't let me sign up under the name I want, so I made a band page instead.

so, let's get this straight.. you're annoyed you can't invite your facebook friends.. when you don't actually HAVE any facebook friends?