Main Menu

Guitar wiring question

Started by clockwork green, July 13, 2012, 04:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

So I put down my down payment for my EGC double neck but then I got an interesting idea this morning.  I'd like to have the option of running both necks into the same output as well as splitting each neck to different amps so I can have two separate loopers set up going into different amps for a double necked version of stereo.  What's the simplest way to do this? Can I do it with stereo jack that can also run as mono or would I need 2 or 3 output jacks?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

moose23

I'd go with a floorbox/footswitch from a stereo jack but you should be able to run a stereo/mono switch on the output. You'd switch from neck 1=>tip and neck 2=>ring or both necks to tip.

clockwork green

There is already going to be so much on the floor that I'd rather avoid that if possible.  The thing I don't get with doing just one plug would be, if I just had a mono cable in there wouldn't it just give me one neck? Could I have a little toggle switch or something that I could hit for mono (2 into 1) and stereo (2 into 2)?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Mr. Foxen

I have a stereo/mono switch on my bass. Think there is a better way of doing it with more earthing, but this bass has been a bodging project from start to finish: http://ampstack.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/shielding-cavities/

moose23

Quote from: clockwork green on July 13, 2012, 03:05:32 PM
There is already going to be so much on the floor that I'd rather avoid that if possible.  The thing I don't get with doing just one plug would be, if I just had a mono cable in there wouldn't it just give me one neck? Could I have a little toggle switch or something that I could hit for mono (2 into 1) and stereo (2 into 2)?

Yeah a toggle would work, that's what I meant. I can draw up a diagram for you later if you want, heading out now. What you're doing is having one always connected to the tip of a stereo jack and then the other would switch between the tip ( for mono) and the ring (for stereo). If you switch to stereo and only plug in a mono jack then only the first neck's output will work.

Here's a nice drawing for starters:

James1214

I suspect you could essentially use a rick o sound like setup but rather then 1 pickup to each channel you could do 1 neck to each.... or maybe bridge pickups on both to one channel and neck on both to the other.... or something crazy like that... oh the possibilities
words

VOLVO)))

Moose's idea is the best, so far. I was going to suggest that, but he beat me to it. It's the easiest way to do it.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.