Main Menu

GFS mean 90s?

Started by BigSwordfishtrombone, July 20, 2012, 09:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSwordfishtrombone

How are those compared to real P90s? I saw from the ultimate guitar thread that quite a few of us enjoy P90s (myself included), so I figured I would ask what you guys think about them. I'm thinking of just going for the neck position in my jaguar (neck P90s being my favorite pickup sound ever) and keeping the humbucker in the bridge position when I need a little bit of a tighter crunch.

Edit: If possible, can you also tell me about your experiences having a p90/humbucker sized P90 paired with a humbucker? I know your experiences won't be exactly the same for me, but I still would like to hear your thoughts.

The Shocker

What kind of Jag do you have?  Every GFS pickup I've heard sounded good.

BigSwordfishtrombone

rayinreverse

They are the only 90's I have ever owned. They sounded good,though at the end of the day, I got rid of them and went back to humbuckers.

I,Galactus

*** paging mutantcolors ***
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

BigSwordfishtrombone

Quote from: rayinreverse on July 20, 2012, 09:56:38 PM
They are the only 90's I have ever owned. They sounded good,though at the end of the day, I got rid of them and went back to humbuckers.

Did you go back to humbuckers because of an actual problem that you had with the pickups, or was it just a matter of personal preference?

eyeprod

I used them hell out of them, but have also gone back to humbuckers. more crunch and more beef that I like
CV - Slender Fungus

rayinreverse

Quote from: BigSwordfishtrombone on July 21, 2012, 12:53:59 AM
Quote from: rayinreverse on July 20, 2012, 09:56:38 PM

Did you go back to humbuckers because of an actual problem that you had with the pickups, or was it just a matter of personal preference?

never had a problem. they just lacked some ooomph that I continually missed.
I think they also would have been far too bright when I started using the reissue T.

Jake

The nicest thing about GFS pickups is that it's such a small financial commitment, I always recommend giving them a shot. Worst case, you spend $70, don't vibe em, pull em back out, sell and recoup $50 (or keep them for another project).

I have a Mean 90 in the neck of a Chinese Les Paul – Gibsun Res Pauwr? – and think it's the tits. It's only ever used with the volume rolled way off, as a quick go-to for a clean sound, so YMMV.

poop.

b00gie van

I've got em in an Agile LP, and I like them a lot. They stay clear with lots of dirt and have a sweeter clean than the buckers I was using before.

bitter

Like many others, I've been apprehensive about their lack of crunch compared to HB's. I really like the stock pups in my agile, but have considered a GFS p90 (dream or mean) in the neck, mainly I only use the neck cleaner stuff and the occasional lead.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

BigSwordfishtrombone

Okay, so it seems like the overall opinion is that they lack the power that humbuckers have. So I'm thinking that since I don't really use loads of distortion anyway (typically the gain knob only goes up to 4-5 with the tone knob all the way down) that I shouldn't have a problem.

Also,  that Res Paur is beautiful.

justinhedrick

Quote from: BigSwordfishtrombone on July 21, 2012, 11:51:54 PM

Also,  that Res Paur is beautiful.

agreed. do tell us about it.

showdown

The Mean 90 is a KILLER pickup, and cheap too.